• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Recruopits- college hockey

scsavre

The gophs just got a commitment out of 16 yr old gabe gurertler. My understanding is tha this is a big commitment. He will be playing for fargo this year. Sounds like the sioux really wanted this kid and many thought he would go there. 5'10 170lbs from florida. His dad is a stp native though.

59 points in 34 games for the team illinois midget minor team.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cbrooks

• scsavre

• Bear55

• solbes

Top Posters In This Topic

Now we just need to make sure we save room for fashing and camarrta. We have a lot of guys committed and not a lot of room.

I also saw kloos is doing really good in the elite league, either first or second in points.

• 2 weeks later...

Some rumours of UMD getting close with Blake Clarke. Kid is 15 years old playing on Fargo in USHL. 6'2", 197 lbs. Played at Shattucks. Would be a good signing, get er done.

Mario Lucia picks Notre Dame.

The Gophs better have a good season because if not, Lucia is gonna be run out of town.

• 5 weeks later...

Mike Brodzinsski picks the Gophs.

Another awesome recruit for the Maroon and Gold.

5 goals and 11 assists as a junior in the elite league.

He turned down an invite from USDTP.

Both of my boys have played against him and his younger brother. They are a couple of good players and seam like good kids. Good for the U of M!!

And another huge recruit Taylor Camaratta commits with the Gophs too.

3 goals 8 assists in 10 games, oh and he is 16 years old.

He will start in 2013-14.

Between him and guertler, I dont know how they are going to narrow down the rookie of year award.

Still waiting on Hudson Fasching.

Fasching would look great in Maroon and Gold, Bulldog Maroon and Gold that is. Drooling over the possibility, but UND and UM present the obvious opportunity. "So your saying there's a chance..."

So far I have been pretty underwhelmed by this whole "winning the national championship" thing, at least as far as recruiting goes. Com' on Mr. Plante, sign a blue chipper or two!

The Dogs just have bad timing with a hopeful turning point of the Gophs and the re addition of Guentzle. It could have been a diferent story for them.

Those CHL guys are relentless, sounds like Schmaltz is still committed to UND but yu never know, if his NHL teams starts pressuring anything can happen. I just wish they would leave it up to the kids.

I agree with you Bear. If Schmaltz is drafted by the Rangers like JT Miller was...he's as good as gone IMO. Who knows what will happen. Can't blame a kid for wanting whats in his best interest if he's NHL bound. Obviously I would want him to play Sioux. I think anybody who gets a recruit from the USDT is in danger of being a flight risk. Just look at what happen last year. UND wasn't the only one to get burned.

I think its a little busch league of the QMHL to be pursuing college commitments. I guess thats the business there in. UND and any other college for that matter has to know the risk with some of these recruits. On the upside UND has a pretty good track record with developing NHL talent in recent years. I would put there rep against any QMHL team.

I agree with you Bear. If Schmaltz is drafted by the Rangers like JT Miller was...he's as good as gone IMO. Who knows what will happen. Can't blame a kid for wanting whats in his best interest if he's NHL bound. Obviously I would want him to play Sioux. I think anybody who gets a recruit from the USDT is in danger of being a flight risk. Just look at what happen last year. UND wasn't the only one to get burned.

I think its a little busch league of the QMHL to be pursuing college commitments. I guess thats the business there in. UND and any other college for that matter has to know the risk with some of these recruits. On the upside UND has a pretty good track record with developing NHL talent in recent years. I would put there rep against any QMHL team.

As much as I dislike Eaves over in Sconnyville, I understand why he's over-committed in the past. I hope UND doesn't recruit too many players and have to turn kids away in the 11th hour (like Eaves), but I understand the reason. Ugly situation/catch 22.

I know the gophs have a lot of players sitting each game and a pile more lined up for the future. You have to be flexible because you never know what will happen. It can backfire and you lose guys for lack of playing time but you need to have some bodies around to fill in when things go bad.

I still remember how mad I was when peter mueler de committed to the gophs. But we would have only had him a year anyway.

Broooks, better get your alumni to start matching the brides that the Q offers the players.

I know the gophs have a lot of players sitting each game and a pile more lined up for the future. You have to be flexible because you never know what will happen. It can backfire and you lose guys for lack of playing time but you need to have some bodies around to fill in when things go bad.

This was a knock that other coaches used against Woog. To many players, you won't get icetime.

]I still remember how mad I was when peter mueler de committed to the gophs. But we would have only had him a year anyway.

Broooks, better get your alumni to start matching the brides that the Q offers the players.

This affects all of college hockey. Any school after a bluechipper.

I see Mario Lucia ia averaging 2 points a game in the Jrs. 30 points 15 games. Maybe he will skip ND and go right to the wild. Maybe not.

I see Mario Lucia ia averaging 2 points a game in the Jrs. 30 points 15 games. Maybe he will skip ND and go right to the wild. Maybe not.

The Jr league he is in isn't known for defensive play, probably a step below the USHL. As a Wild prospect it's nice to see but I wouldn't get too excited until he starts putting up good numbers in college.

This was a knock that other coaches used against Woog. To many players, you won't get icetime.

Pretty much everyone has a handful of extra players these days, a lot of times those are just recruits who might only come in if one player leaves early but it is also important to have a few scholarship/walk-on player in the press box for when the injury bug hits. I know the Gophs were shorthanded a few years back when 4-5 guys went down. You also need guys for when the World Jr tournament comes around. Just about every program has lost players to lack of playing time, you need the bodies but can never make everyone happy. It just is what it is.

Ya Bear, if I remember right that was right after or right be Lucia took over. Woog would always have 24-26 players and that one year I think they had 22. A couple of injuries and the kids that went to the jr tourney I think they had 17 players for a couple of games. The coach, Woog or Lucia said that that would not happen again.

I think Fasching has a chance to be a top 5 pick and go straight to the NHL. I'm guessing Lucia is on a one year plan as well. I've watched a lot of hockey in my day and I've never seen better hands on a 15 year old as Fasching has. I saw him play Bjugstad in the State tourney, Hudson was a Freshman, Nick a Senior. You would have thought Hudson was the first round NHL pick that coming summer. He dominated every aspect of that game. I didn't even notice Bjugstad.

Fasching is an incredible talent and I really hope the Gophs land him but he has a lot to prove before he is NHL ready. Bjugstad has made some huge strides since high school and at a much higher level. Same goes for Lucia, lots to prove at higher levels. I wish the best for them and I hope they get there but they have work to do.

• 1 month later...

gophs get commitment from hudson fasching. I hope he actually ends ucoming here for a year or 2. He is a monster recruit and the gophs are looking absolutely monstorous in the near future. I don't know if we can even sign anymore players now.

Awesome sign.

]gophs get commitment from hudson fasching.

Sigh... Com on man, what do you need ALL of these monster recruits for? Throw a couple our way.

Seriously though, I'm starting to have some doubts about UMD's recruiting efforts. A Nat'l Championship, a brand new facility, and a current #1 ranking. Not a single verbal this year. How hard can it be? And I know getting a Fasching type recruit is not easy, but we ought to have some good ones this year already.

There are still some players out there. Umd will land some canadiens still too.

The recent gopher success is just not timely for the dogs.

Sigh... Com on man, what do you need ALL of these monster recruits for? Throw a couple our way.

Seriously though, I'm starting to have some doubts about UMD's recruiting efforts. A Nat'l Championship, a brand new facility, and a current #1 ranking. Not a single verbal this year. How hard can it be? And I know getting a Fasching type recruit is not easy, but we ought to have some good ones this year already.

Your club and the Sue will continue to get those great Cannuck recruits. I wouldn't worry too much. grin