• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lockout

Scott K

Here is a unique idea!

Quote:
According to Chris Sheridan, NBA owners want to add a third round to the draft and have proposed the idea to the players' union.

Per Sheridan, the union has countered by "offering an array of changes to the draft that would help address the owners’ desire for more competitive balance." Sheridan says that several ideas have been discussed, including having the worst 15 teams pick 1-15 in the first round and then again pick 16-30. The best 15 teams would have picks 1-15 and then 16-30 in the second round. Sheridan uses the T-Wolves as his example, and with the worst record last season, the team would have had its lottery pick and the 16th overall selection, however Minnesota would not have the first pick of the second round. Follow the link for complete details, but this sounds like one idea that may potentially help to bridge the talent gap between large and small market clubs.

• 4 weeks later...

I like this idea. I hope the lock out goes the entire season and the payers have to cave on nearly everything. The NBA salary system is broken. Hopefully we come out of this with a more competitive product.

I heard rumors about another amnesty deal where owners can buy out of up to 1 bad contract...the owners offer the money and get into the bad deals, if we didn't have G.M.s like Kevin McHale signing stiffs for millions of dollars we wouldn't be in such messes.

The wolves for once don't have many bad contracts. Webster and Darko are a little overpaid but not to the point that they are crippling the team.

I think they will get it done, and I think they will make some good progress tomorrow, and have a deal with a nod and a hand shake done by the weeks end. To much at stake, and the players will have to lower their demands.

i really see them missing some time compared to the NFL they are way apart. On another note i was reading up on our boy Ricky and man he stunk it up this year in Europe

I dont see Rubio being a large asset to the team, other then ball handling and defense, in which we are in need of. We have plenty of scoring forwards that can shoot. So I really dont see his lack of scoring hurting us much. His defense alone will help out our team.

looks promising???? they just canceled the first 2 weeks of the season.....I also read that D Williams is looking to possible go overseas to collect his first professional paycheck...

Morons, they're about to find out they ain't the NFL. Ask 100 folks on the street what they think of the situation and 99 of 'em are gonna say....... "meh".

I will miss it but more so the highlights to fill sportcenter...I will miss the wolves games also...hopefully they can come to an agreement very soon and they can get this season started!!!

The NBAPA was holding strong, and not backing down from their demands, unfortunately for them, they didnt have any legs to stand on. As Stern has said, their best offer was on the table, and is now off the table. Offers from this point on forward will be less player friendly. The way it stands, the owners have all the cards, if the players want to get a over inflated check for playing a game, they will have to fold. Since most of the team owners dont depend on the team to earn them money, so sitting out a season wont be as big of a loss as it will to the players that werent smart enough to save/invest some of the millions they have earned previously.

I did like one of the interviews that was done on one of this years draft picks, the question was asked, since you havent played pro, and had the opurtunity to bank money, how will you be able to survive without playing this season if the lock out cancels the season. The reply, "same way I have always survived, a little work, and my parents".

With the global economy the way it is and these MORONS are fighting over 4 Billion excess dollars...........

I like our Timberwolves, but losing interest fast.

When it comes back, I am probably just a TV person to follow them, no more $500 days to go watch with the family at the Target Center.

Good Luck NBA, I know I am just one, but can't be the only.

The players can't manage their cash. 2 months into not getting paid and they'll cave just like last time.

there are already guys that are saying lets just fold and play and the guys with the cash are saying no we need to stand strong....funny the rich guys in the league say we can wait but the guys that need the cash (the ones the rich are supposed to be standing up for) are the ones that say lets just play and earn a paycheck

there are already guys that are saying lets just fold and play and the guys with the cash are saying no we need to stand strong....funny the rich guys in the league say we can wait but the guys that need the cash (the ones the rich are supposed to be standing up for) are the ones that say lets just play and earn a paycheck

Read that myself. Gotta love it when the Union proclaims the "rich" owners are greedy, when the "rich" superstar players are acting the same way. It's no wonder why most fans are disgusted and tune out.

I just want to see better competitive balance. The teams that are in the top 5 in payroll have won the NBA Title the last 4 years. Only the Spurs have consistently been competing for NBA Titles since the Jordan era with an average payroll. Now that Duncan is getting old, they're pretty much done.

I'm going to miss watching the NBA because they had a good product with young players coming up and interesting chemistry and rivalries developing.

A lot of these guys are blowing money ridiculously fast and living check to check. Antoine Walker made over 110 million and he's playing in the NBADL right now to pay creditors. Latrell Sprewell and Anthony Mason are the two biggest tax delinquents in the state of Wisconsin. These guys love to make a ton of money and blow it just as fast. There is no self restraint and the owners know it. But the owners are the idiots that give out these ridiculous contracts.

• 4 weeks later...

Not looking to promising for having a season this year. All because of greed, on both sides! Let the players fall back on the college educations they got, and see how well that takes them spoiled brats in life. I guess we will find out how well they studied in college.

We won't find out how well they studied in college because most of these players will take their talents to another country. It's a bit upsetting that they can't get this thing worked out, but I'd rather watch the NCAA anyways. Bring on some March Madness!

We won't find out how well they studied in college because most of these players will take their talents to another country. It's a bit upsetting that they can't get this thing worked out, but I'd rather watch the NCAA anyways. Bring on some March Madness!

The funny thing is, they are willing to play over seas for a fraction of what they were making in the NBA, but they arent willing to play in the NBA for a dime less then they are making now.

Yep, the season is all but over now. De-certifying the association, moving past collective bargaining...we'll see. Out of the 400 some players that laced em up last year, how many can make it without a year of pay? I'm not worried about the owners, but some of the 10 day contract guys can't make it, and some of the guys with huge contracts spend like drunken sailors and can't make it from living too big! They are so focused on revenue sharing, they haven't even gotten into other issue that need correction, like contract lengths, franchise players, player collusion - stuff that makes the league competitive, draw fan interest and money.

They built up a global game and now they are letting it rot slowly. Nobody misses them.

I sure dont feel sorry for them million dollar babies. Its the small salary guys Im more worried about. Those guys will hav eto go get real jobs until ball comes back and hopefully they can stay in shape and get a job when it does happen. Maybe some will get roster spots over seas but not all.

i could never figure out why professional athletes need unions anyway. they all have agents plus unions? what are the agents for. cant they stipulate everything in a contract? why should they get anything more than their salery at that level? the money they are making and advertising cash to boot and they want more? cry me a river. everything should be hammered out in each indevidual contract. salary, benefits, ect. football strikes, baseball, basketball strikes ect. some of these players can buy their own team at the top level, then i wonder what song they will sing. good luck.