• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

1200 or 2000 grams

Huntin&Fishin

I'm buying new rubber boots and have to choose between the two. Is 2000 going to be TOO warm? I will be using them for ice fishing deer hunting, and duck hunting. So whats better 1200 or 2000? Thanks

I would suggest buy them ahead of time so you can return them if you have not tried them on yet.

These insulated rubber boots are HUGE!! I bought a pair of lacross one last winter when i needed them, they showed up, and holy cow, theyre thin until you get to the ankle, then they're just monsters. Not only did their biggest size not fit, but they were heavy and impractical. Especially for long walks deer hunting.

I would suggest irish setter outrider or king toe knee. Both are completely waterproof up to the top of the boot...knee high

I got the 1000 gram outrider, and they work wonders. they're light, comfortable, and have amazing tred. The tred is designed to not have mud cling on, which does work great!

The outrider boots, and i believe the king toe knee too, have a zipper on the side (No this doesn't leak) and there are laces under a flap so you can snug them to your feet.

I also don't use/need wool socks anymore. Your blood circulation may be a different story.

Comparing ice fishing to deer and duck hunting is like comparing apples to oranges. Unless you only go ice fishing when it is above freezing and sunny. I don't know of any boot that is "really" comfortable for all seasons. Either your feet will sweat too much when deer hunting or be too cold when ice fishing. I know some people will disagree because they are too cheap to buy two pair of boots. No offense, I was one of them until I broke down and bought a pair for each season and have never looked back.

Comparing ice fishing to deer and duck hunting is like comparing apples to oranges. Unless you only go ice fishing when it is above freezing and sunny. I don't know of any boot that is "really" comfortable for all seasons. Either your feet will sweat too much when deer hunting or be too cold when ice fishing. I know some people will disagree because they are too cheap to buy two pair of boots. No offense, I was one of them until I broke down and bought a pair for each season and have never looked back.

agreed! However, if you are talking bow hunting, ducking hunting in sept-oct, and ice fishing in floor covered fish houses, shoot for the lighter size but allow for wool socks (may be snug) cause if to loose with wool socks, it will rub your feet when not wearing them

It all depends on how you hunt boys. I use multiple pairs of boots throughout the deer season, even in the same day.

Light boots for big walks/pushes.

Heavy insulation for all day sits.

A great purchase for me last year were boot blankets. Light boots to the stand, then boot blankets while you sit motionless for hours.

Same goes for ice fishing.

Do you find the crowd, pop up your portable, and loaf for the day, or constantly moving to stay on the fish. Are you in a perm...

I personally would not buy the 2000 gram rubber boots unless you find them comfortable crazy To which i don't think is possible. The 1000 or less are certaintly an option.

Lacross, irish setter, Redwing all have free shipping. Buy a pair and if you don't like them, send them back.

I use the Cabelas 800gram and that is plenty for me except during the coldest part of the season. Then I switch to my Saskatchewan Pac boots. I would say to aim lower because you can add layers to your feet, but you can never make warm boots cooler.

I love my Cabelas boots. I've never had a problem and I've recommended several friends to them and they still have them too.

• 3 weeks later...

+1 for Muck boots. I bought the Woody Max boots a few yeas ago and use them for everything the poster listed. Light, comfortable and incredible comfort range.

Love my muck boots how ever I got the artic ones and my feet sweet to much in them if I am moving around in them and being active. I then bought the wetland ones and love them for hunting and ice fishing. Their a little warm for aug but good for oct and great for ice fishing. They are light and compact for walking in the woods.