• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Winnibigoshish Fishing Reports by Fishing Fever Guide Service

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jason Boser

• gregg52

• MAdDuckiceroads

• Huskie

The weather up here in the northland is still cool and rainy but the fish just do not seem t o mind. I have been on Leech, Sand and winnie this past week and all have been good fishing. I have been hitting leech and fishing just North of where you come out of federal landing. I have been fishing in 7-13 ft of water depending on the wind with a 1/8 oz gumball and shiner. It has been a good presentation as long as you get it away from the boat. There are also fish on five mile and around two points.

Winnie has been good on the shoreline with some wind. ravens, stoney, high banks have all produced fish with the wind blowing in. Again 1/8 oz gumball and a shiner has been the ticket. If no wind check out the humps with a 3/8ths oz jig or try switching to lindy out on the humps they should start producing well right now.

Sand was decent with most fish coming in at 10-13 ft of water with a jig and minnow. I was on the humps and bars on sand and never really tried the shoreline I would guess there was fish there too.

good luck fishing

Jason Boser

Fishing Fever Guide Service

http://www.mnfishingpros.com

218-999-5591

Fishing report Grand Rapids Deer River Area for June 24, 2013

Good new for Jig fishermen, still a good bite on all area lakes using jig minnow. If in the area Fred’ Bait & Winnie Trading Post has a plentiful supply of nice small spot tail shiners. North shore of Big Winnie in 9 to 7 feet of water, was the ticket for keeper walleyes, the humps are starting to show signs of life, but most of the fish are in the slot, perch are feeding on small crayfish look for them on the rocks. Northern pike are still scatter through out, the weeds still not big enough to hold them and the water not warm enough to push the bigger one out deeper. Leech has been very good also 9 to 14 ft range. Bowstring and Sand are producing very well also, fish from 12 to 18 ft. Due to the late spring, cool June water temps have slow to rise, and jigging has been the ticket. Have fun and be safe, this area full time fishing guide Charlie Worrath,

Winnie has been the lake to be at lately. The fish have been shallow, deep break and the humps. shallow fish have been biting on jigs and a shiner or we have been running a spinner with a minnow or a piece of crawler, the deep fish have be bee jig and minnow or a lindy rig with leech or crawler, and the humps have been the same. the fish out deeper are still on the big side and its hard at times to get a fish under the slot. Also have been fishing Bowstring with decent luck out on the humps and main break. I have been using 1/4 oz jigs and a shiner or a lindy rig with a leech. Sand lake has been good with the fish coming in at 10-13 ft of water with a jig and minnow. It has been good fishing up here with the lakes all biting most of the time

good luck fishing

Jason Boser

July 3rd 2013 Fishing Report

For

Grand Rapids – Deer River Area

The hot still days has boosted the water temps into summer mode for the fish, the shallow water bite is limited to fishing cabbage weed beds. Pulling spinners with bullet sinkers tip with a 2 inch piece of crawler or leech has been the best bet. This works best if you get some wind. If the wind is light, move out to the mid lake structure as the walleyes are making there move to these mid lake structures. Bowstring and Big Winnie look for them around 21 ft. range. The best presentation has been a rig with a 6 to 7 ft Snell, tip with a full crawler or Leech. Jigging them with shiner has not been very successful, the last couple days. On other small lakes the fish are burying themselves into thick weeds, and look for this pattern to continue as the forecast for next week is hot and calm winds. So when you go to your favorite lake on your next outing, be expecting to look for fish in there summer pattern, as it’s has been changing very fast the last couple days, Be safe Have fun, This area full time fishing guide Charlie Worrath with www.mnfishingpros.com

No virus found in this message.

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

Version: 2013.0.3345 / Virus Database: 3204/6458 - Release Date: 07/02/13

Jason I just want to say that you give some very nice reports and it's appreciated by those of us who only fish the area occasinally! You do a great job of giving enough information and ideas on how and where to fish without giving exact spots.

Thanks again

fishing up here in the northland has went to summer mode. The fish have moved and are deep. I have been on winnie a couple days and the humps and bars are going strong. Even with this warm still weather we can get bit on winnie out deep. I have been pulling leeches and crawlers the last couple times ,it seems they are not interested in the minnow now at all. I think with some wind or cloud cover you can get them in the weeds with a spinner and a bullet sinker but once the sun is up it kinda slows down.

Sand lake has been alittle tough the last couple days, it seems you can see the fish in the 11-15 ft of water but get very few to bite I still have been jigging them on sand.

We had a good wind yesterday and went to island lake. We got some decent walleye and a few under the slot we could keep. The smallies were biting also with some good northern. I was using a 1/8 oz jig with a shiner, and the fish were in the 15ft range.

Where ever you fish it seems to be a little slower action than we had earlier but there are fish out there to catch

good luck fishing

Jason Boser

Deer River Area Lakes and Big Winnie

Fishing Report for July 17, 2013

Big Winnie has been probably the hot spot for the last week in this area. There has been some movement of fish, moving into cabbage weeds. Pulling spinners in 11 to 12 ft tip with a crawler has been very productive. Along with the walleyes were catching, theres quite-a-few northern pike some over the 30 inch range, the down side is the perch were picking up are small. Still walleyes can be found on the mid lake humps and Bean bar area, dragging rigs with 6 to 7 ft smell tip with either a leech or crawler, has work well. Use your electronics to locate some fish before fishing, will save you a lot of time. Bowstring has the same program going on, some deep fish and some weed fish. Round Lake on center bar has produce walleyes with a jig and crawler along with spinners, Sand Lake has been slow during the day, but some good crappie action in the evenings. Small mouth bass have been tough on area lakes, but large mouth bass has been very good. Be safe and have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

With a heck of a cold front going through last couple days I have been surprised with the fish biting at all but they have been holding up pretty good. I had days where the wind was horrible so we had to go to smaller lakes. Went to sand one of the hard wind days and had limited success. Jig and minnow were the best with the humps producing fish, in the 10-16 ft of water. It was tough as we went from 79 degrees to 45 degrees in a night it was brutal. we did manage a few walleyes and some nice perch.Once the wind mellowed a bit it was off to winnie for a couple days. We fished the deep weeds in the 10-13 ft of water with a northland holographic spinner. We were traveling around 1-1.5 mph running over the top of them. It turned out pretty well with a nice bunch of fish.

good luck fishing

Jason when you say you were fishing over the top of the weeds in 10-13 how far down do you feel your presentation was? How much weight did you use to get to that depth? Every time i run spinners in weeds it turns out to be a huge battle (with the weeds, not the fish)

I use 3/16 for those deeper weeds I would say we hit to 7-9 ft trolling at a good clip say 1.5 mph you hit some spots where you h it a lot of weeds then you get hung up but there is usually breaks in them and that's where the fish seem to be. You also have to find the righ group of weeds where they are spread out enough to get your bait through them

hope that helps alittle

Jason

Aug. 7th 2013 Fishing Report for Grand Rapids- Deer River Area

As far as walleye fishing in the area goes, it hasn’t changed very much in the past weeks. Look mainly in 15 ft or shallower, if shallower look for cabbage weeds, on Big Winnie we have mainly been pulling spinners tipped with ½ crawler, but for you rig fisherman pulling rigs and crawlers has worked also, I like the spinner over the rig because you can cover more ground, as these fish are scatter and you catch all other species that are in the area. Lot of nice pike in the 25 to 35 inch range is also showing up in weeds. Sand lake walleyes are in the 17 ft range rigging or jigging has worked. Bowstring 8 to 10 ft rigging and spinners along with a crawler has worked well. Summer getting shorter so don’t wait to long before your next outing. Be safe and have some fun.

This area full time area fishing guide Charlie Worrath

What a year for weather!!! The unusually cool day and night time temps. here has dropped the water temps to the mid 60 degree mark but the Walleye bite for the most part has continued to be good. Winnie has been pretty good on the north shore pulling spinners and a crawler in 10' to 12' of water right over the tops of the weeds. The northern Pike fishing has also been very good with alot of the fish being in the 25 to 30 inch range, bring lots of Northland Tackles Rainbow Spinners cause you are going to lose some to the numerous pike. Bowstring and Sand lake has had a pretty decent bite also, 7 to 10 foot of water has been the depth and the spinners have been the go to presentation there to. One day we took a break from Walleyes and fished Muskys on Winnie, in 2 hours we saw 3 fish and one was a solid 50 inch fish that didn't quite commit but gave us all quite a thrill. So with fall right around the corner I know your thinking about getting out in the woods but there is some real good fishing to be had right now so get out there and enjoy. Take care and be safe

Jeff Skelly

• 2 weeks later...

with the cool down and now the warm up again the fishing seems to have changed and you can start to feel the beginning of autumn in the air. The walleyes seem to be in a slow down mode. we have had a good bite on Bowstring, Winnie and now they seem to have checked out of where they were and it has made the fishing difficult. I did catch some fish on Sand the last couple days pulling a Northland holographic spinner and a 1/2 a crawler along the weed edge. I also caught them on the deep humps in 16-19 ft of water with a 1/4 oz jig and minnow but we have had to work for everything we got. The one good thing right now is we are starting to see the crappies starting to move to their fall haunts and you can go out deep and catch a few before they start getting spooked out of the school and that keeps you busy.

good luck fishing

Jason Boser

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

BIL was up there for the week and they did dandy. Crawler with air was the ticket. Many slot fish.

• 4 weeks later...

we are finally seeing a cool down on our waters up here. They are in the high 60’s yet but coming down. The fish are starting to bite more on a jig and minnow especially with a good wind. Winnie has been pretty tough on the walleye’s as of late with fish coming in one day and the next nothing there. I have been getting some fish on the south end in muskie bay and around the fence area in 6-13 ft of water. muskie bay I was running spinners but on the fence I was jigging with a chub. the good thing is on cutfoot the crappies have been really starting to go in their deep water haunts. Sand and bowstring have been doing better on the walleyes with a lot of fish coming in from the shallow water with spinners and a 1/2 a crawler or jig and minnow. I have been catching the fish right in the weeds in 7-9 ft of water. The crappies and sunnies have been biting pretty good also on the different brush piles and cribs on the lake.

good luck fishing and be safe

Jason Boser

• 2 weeks later...

Grand Rapids- Deer River Area

Fishing Report for September 26, 2013

Again water temps have been playing a major role, as far as fall patterns goes, with warm south winds keep pushing up warm air our water temps remain in the low 60’s, I would like to see the water temps range from 55 to 59 degrees, for a good fall walleye jig minnow bite. Area crappies fishing have been very very good, looked for schools 12 to 26 ft range or around and sunken wood structure, I’ve just been fishing vertical with a jig minnow. Check out Sand and big and little cut-foot

Walleye action is starting to show life on Leech, cut-foot, as of yesterday, Big Winnie has seen a few walleyes in Muskie bay. Jig minnow has been starting to work on these lakes. This will be my last report for 2013 season, as of Sept. 28th will be my last guide trip of this year, will be looking for feathers rather then fins. So be safe and have fun, on all your outdoor adventure. This area full time fishing guide Charlie Worrath

• 7 months later...

opener has come and gone and I think all and all it was a decent fishing opener and we got to see some sun.

The water temps around the area were between 42-45 and the fish were fairly shallow.

Cutfoot was good fishing but sounded like not a lot of keeping.from the gap to the point which was shut down was good. Bowstring was also a good bite with a lot of fish coming in from 4-10 ft of water.

As the water warms the fishing should just keep getting better.

good luck and be safe

Jason Boser

• 2 weeks later...

cutfoot we went and found some males in on the edge of some big sand flats and ended the day pretty well. Next day we tried it again and we got a few then it quit. We looked around cutfoot and just one here and one there but none the right size. We ended in the gad in 8-10 ft of water and had some decent luck but most were too big. Went to leech the next day and we had not much wind and the walleyes were tough. we did get a few through out the day but it wasn’t good. We had 1/16 oz jigs and a shiner just to get anything. We did run into some perch that were dandy’s in the 7-8 ft of water that helped our day. Our last day was to little cutfoot. The walleyes are filtering back to winnie and as they are going we managed to get a few for our day. Most of our fish came in at 9-14 ft of water , we were using 1/16th oz jigs and chubs and shiners were our bait. The water should be warming and the shiners should be alittle more abundant for our memorial weekend. Hopefully the fish will cooperate also.

Good luck and be safe

Jason Boser

• 2 weeks later...

Fishing Report from the Deer River, Grand Rapids Area

Fishing over all has been a little slower then what you would expect for this time of year. Big Winnie has had it’s moments, but overall it’s been slow during the day bite, early morning or evening has been the best, no one spot seems to any better then the next. Leech Lake has some walleye action fro 8 to 11 feet again jig & minnow has worked well, few northern are mixed in, perch can be found a little shallower in 5 to 7 feet. Bowstring Lake still has some shoreline fish, look for then in the cabbage weeds also some nice perch will be mixed in, along with a lot of small northerns. Sand Lake has started to pick up, walleyes in 9 to 11 feet. Be safe and enjoy a day on the water. This is area full time fishing guide Charlie Worrath

Winnie has been hit and miss one day you run into a school of walleye and catch them the next day they are gone. Most of the fish have been coming in that 5-12 ft of water and still with a jig and shiner. If fishing is slow coming up I might start looking at the deeper humps they should start biting out there soon.

leech has been the same one day good the next nothing. I thought leech would be the hot lake this year and it really hasn’t been what I expected yet. seems the rocks have been the best bite as of late with fish being caught in the 7-12 ft with a jig and minnow.

good luck fishing and be safe

Jason Boser

218-999-5591

Deer River, Grand Rapids Area Fishing Report

for June 12th 2014

Big Winnie walleye bite is on and off, you have a good day, the next day seems like they left the lake. Jig minnow or rigs with leeches or crawlers. also a few fish staring to move out deep. Leech lake has some good walleye action, look for them around rocks 10 to 14 ft. Red Lake has slowed some but the bite still very good, 5 to 8 ft. range jig minnow still working just fine. Sand Lake was showing some good signs last week, but seems to have dropped off some this week. Bowstring has been slow, look for walleyes either in the weeds or 19 ft. on the mid lake structure. crawler and rigs the best bet. Crappie bite starting to slow on area lakes as they have spawn out in most lakes. Be safe and have fun this area full time fishing guide, Charlie Worrath

• 2 weeks later...

Deer River, Grand Rapids Area fishing Report. June 21 2014

Big Winnie is slow but has some life showing up on the mid lake structures 18 to 23 ft. range. Leech lake also still on the slow side. Bowstring lake and Sand lake has had some action also, again look in deeper water 16 to 24 ft. range, rigs either with leeches or crawler or 1/4 oz. jigs tip with a minnow has work well. Jessie lake is also producing some fish again look for them deeper. There’s has been a crappie bite in big cutfoot the last few days Be safe, have fun, and enjoy a day on the water. This is area full time fishing guide Charlie Worrath

• 2 weeks later...

Deer River, Grand Rapids area Fishing Report

For July 1st 2014

Pulling spinners on Big Winnie in the weeds have produced a few keeper fish but no limits, mid lake bite has shown some sign of life, rigs and crawlers, but the wind has kept most fisherman off the lake the past few days. Bowstring is giving up some nice keeper fish along with a lot of smaller ones, rigging with crawlers, the action is not fast. Sand Lake has been alright, fish deeper 16 to 22 ft. with jig minnow, again a lot of small walleyes along with some keepers. Made a trip up to Upper Red Lake a few days back walleye fishing has slowed down from the spring bite, but fishing was still very good, we jig using minnows in 4 1/2 to 7 ft. and with the slot moved up to 20 inch we caught a lot of very nice fish again a lot of small ones mixed in, just look for rocks and weeds. Get out and enjoy a day on the water, and be safe and have some fun. This area full time fishing guide Charlie Worrath

for winnie we haven't been able to do much out there this last week weather its in the weeds pulling spinners or out on the humps fish have been far and few between.

• 2 weeks later...

Deer River – Grand Rapids Area

Fishing Report for July 23rd.

For Big Winnie, check the mid lake humps, use rigs with 7 ft. Snell's tip with leech or crawler, if the wind blows head to the north shore a few keeper fish are showing up rigging or spinning will work, the best bite time has been in the late evening. Leech lake Look for walleyes and pike in and along weed beds again pulling spinners, the northern pike are running very nice 5 to 8 lbs. not uncommon. Bowstring lake is also giving up some walleyes along shore, again look for weeds, pulling spinners and covering ground is the key, tip the spinner with leech or crawler will eliminate some of the small pike and give you a better chance for walleyes. Across the road on Sand has been OK pulling rigs tip with a crawler has been the best presentation in 11.5 ft. range, jigging on the mid lake humps 18 to 22 ft. has also produce some fish. Be safe and some fun on the water.