• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Winnibigoshish Fishing Reports by Fishing Fever Guide Service

Lake Winnie: wow what a change in weather from cold to hot in about a week, and water temps have jumped right up too. They went from 68 to 75 real quick. The mayflies have been hatching around area lakes by the droves and the fishing has been kinda tough. Have been fishing the humps and bars on winnie the last couple days and when the water was cooler I could see them on the graph and they would bite now some will bite so it has slowed. I have been using leeches and crawlers with a lindy rig with a 4-6 ft snell. I still throw on a jig and minnow out in that deep water and it still has been producing a few fish also. I was at bowstring also this last week and fishing was just ok. the fish were out on the deeper humps where there is only a 2-3 ft difference from bottom to the top of the hump. most fish were right on an edge. There were some fish on the flats on the south end also.

good luck fishing

Jason Boser

fishing fever guide service

www.fishingminnesota.com

218-999-5591

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jason Boser

• gregg52

• MAdDuckiceroads

• Jeanne1

Thanks for the report Jason. Anything going on with the pan fish on little cut to speak of? I am thinking you don't target them often but may have heard something. I have done well in there in the past but nothing yet this year.

Going up for a few days this next week so I will give it another whirl.

Thanks again for your time, Oh have the eye's picked up since your last report? Lol Had to ask. Take care...

havent heard much on the panfish sorry and the walleyes have been alittle better with keepers

Jason

• 2 weeks later...

Winnibigoshish or Big Winnie fishing report

July 23rd

Spend all of last week on Big Winnie, many due to heat has a lot of the smaller area shutdown. Fishing over all was not fast but steady. Look for walleyes on Winnibigoshish along any of the big bars, Bena, Moses, and Musky and Long bar, manly on the breaks 17 to 21 feet. Also look for walleye on the northern part of the lake on sand humps and Zoomer bar. I have been running rigs with 6 to 7 foot snells, tip with either a leech or crawler. I’ve been using at the start 50/50 choice, and letting the fish till me what one they prefer on this given day, as each day it has changed for me. You’ll find perch action just about anywhere you can fine some rocks. Crank baits are picking up a few northern, walleye and perch in 10 to 13 foot range.

Full time area fishing guide Charlie Worrath, www.charliesgonefishingguideservices.com and with wwwmnfishingpros.com

It’s the first of August already and the spinners are the choice of area guides. I have been on Bowstring and winnie and the spinners have been the key.

Bowstring has a good shoreline bite in 7-10 ft with a sinner and a crawler, leech or minnow. put a 1/8 oz sinker on a spinner and start going around the shoreline it has been working pretty good. There is also fish out on the deeper humps and bars on Bowstring being caught with a lindy and a crawler.

Winnie has a good bite going on top of the big bars. Bena muskie long bar all have fish on them with the best being on top of the bars right on the edge trolling along with a spinner again. there is also fish out on the other humps and the main drop running spinners or lindy’s is the key there also. The perch are on the rocks and be caught with a jig and minnow.

So for August the fishing isnt just too bad so get out and do some fishing

Good luck

Jason Boser

fishingminnesota guide service

218-999-9951

HI Jason Coming up to Winni on Sat. Morn. Is there much going on? Any info would be great. I,m just looking for some advice on where to start out. Like on the humps, or are they back in the weeds. and what direction to go. We are staying at Tamarack Resort. Thanks for any info. Will post a report next sat.

sorry its at already. tops of the big bars and start looking at the weed line

Jason

• 3 weeks later...

Its that time of the year, the nights are cooling down and the water temps are starting to fall. The fish are starting to make their transition to the shallows. Most fish we have been catching have been around the weeds. On winnie the fish have been still on the flats of the big bars like bena, long or muskie. Using a spinner or a shad rap trolling around to find a bunch of fish has been working well yet. The edge of the weeds in the 9-12 ft of water on the north and west shore has also been working well. Again trolling shad raps or spinners and a leech has been the ticket. Other area lakes Bowstring and sand lake have been producing some decent catches with the fish being caught in the 8-11 ft with a spinner being the best bet. The name of the game is still to cover ground to find the active fish. With this cooler weather look for the fish to school up more and more as the weather cools.

good luck fishing

Jason Boser

218-999-5591

• 2 weeks later...

Grand Rapids – Deer River area Fishing Report Aug. 29th

Walleye fishing is pretty much a typical for this time of year, fishing area lakes is a day by day, if you pick the right lake, fishing can be excellent, the next day just the opposite. No one presentation out doing the other at this time. Were using crank baits, spinners tip with ½ crawler, leech, or chub minnow, I’ve been running all 3 to start with and letting the fish tell me what they prefer on that day, and jig minnows is working on some deeper water fish, in lakes like Wabana which are deep and clear. Northern pike action has been very good on most all the area lakes, catch them from Jig Minnow on Pokegama, to spoons and cranks on Big Winnie. Crappies and still a little slow, because the water temps are still in the mid 70’, cooler weather will change the bite quickly, but were still picking some up in deeper water 17 to 21 ft. around sunken structure, by dropping a 1/8 oz. jig tip with a minnow and vertical fishing.

Charlie Worrath Full time professional fishing guide. www.charliesgonefishing guideservices.com

Our weather is the topic up here in the northland, hot hot and more hot. The water temps are not going down. Despite that the walleyes are still doing ok on the bite. some days they go great the next day you cant find one. Winnie and Bowstring have been the lakes I been on and the fish(at least the ones I have been catching) have been shallow. mostly 6-12 ft around the weeds. If we get some wind the rocks have been ok, but no wind look at the weeds. Our classic jig and minnow bite has only been producing with the wind also without we have been trolling spinners or a short lindy with a crawler.

Trolling crankbaits has been a excellent producer of Northerns and a occasional walleye I have been trolling the east shore of winnie and some of the deeper weed beds around the river channel. The crappies have been pretty decent too. they have all been the deep ones out in the deep holes off the shore. Look for them on your electronics mark them and drop a 1/8 or 1/16th oz jig and a chub or little shinner down on top of their heads, sometimes you have to work them over a bit but you will get some to bite.

so there is lots to do this time of the year and you have to keep moving but you can find some nice mixed bags of fish.

good luck fishing

Jason Boser

218-999-5591

heres a question for all of you

i caught a northern last week end at least i think it was a northern

i've never seen one quite as red the fins had a good red tint to them

the body had like red blemishs on it

was it a muskie...hybird...or a weird northern????????????

good question probably a northern weth a weird desease of some sort

I have noticed the northerns have had real red tails and fins and I dont know why?

Jason

ya i dont know either

it was a bout 3-4 lbs

caught some smaller ones but didnt notice the red fins on thosecaught just outside of the 3rd river

are those big crappies going up in 3er river tey ???

i was up there last monday and couldnt get any in the morning

later that day i saw nuestrom heading up there

ya i dont know either

it was a bout 3-4 lbs

caught some smaller ones but didnt notice the red fins on thosecaught just outside of the 3rd river

are those big crappies going up in 3er river tey ???

i was up there last monday and couldnt get any in the morning

later that day i saw nuestrom heading up there

Grand Rapids, Deer River & Winnibigoshish fishing Report

Sept. 16th 2011

The last few days of very cold temperatures as certainly dropped the water temps. We saw the temps drop down to the low 60’s. But the fast drop has slow the fishing on all species in this area. Once they make and adjustment to the cooler temps, the bite will on. Starting to see signs of the jig minnow combo being the go to presentation. Yesterday we marked a lot of fish on Big Winnie both on the north and East shores, in 12 to 14 ft range. Getting them to bite was another story. We did pick up some with a spinner tip with a ½ crawler, and ¼ oz jig tip with a chub minnow. Some crappies were also caught in Little Cut-Foot 15 to 17 ft, spinners, or jig minnow, perch can be found on rocks humps the shallower the better, again jig minnow.

This area fishing guide Charlie Worrath, Charlie’s Gone Fishing Guide Services, a full time professional guide, member of the MN Fishing Pros Guide Services,

Fall is finally here seems like it took awhile. water temps are falling and last time out it was high 50’s up to 60 which is perfect for this time of year. The fish have been schooling up and when you find one you can usually run into a nice batch of fish. I have been fishing winnie the last few days and with these hard south southeast winds the east shore has been good. musky bay,end of the rip rap, birches and up to high banks has all been good. If you can handle the wind mallard, stoney and some of the shallow rocks have been good also. Jig and minnow has been my choice of bait but I have seen lots of fish still being caught with a crawler, weather you run it on a lindy or a spinner they both have been working.

The perch have been in the shallow rocks also and on a good day you can get bunches of perch and walleye all in the same area.so now is the time to get out there and get some fish before the weather really turns cold.

This will be it for my reports for the season I hope I helped out in people putting more fish in the boat. If you have any questions let me know I will answer all I can, but now its hunting for me.

good luck fishing and see you next season

Jason Boser

fishingminnesota

218-999-5591

Jason: Thanks for your reports throughout the fishing season. We'll be heading up to Winnie for our last trip next week, should be a productive finale. Have a great and safe hunting season.

• 2 weeks later...
Jason: Thanks for your reports throughout the fishing season. We'll be heading up to Winnie for our last trip next week, should be a productive finale. Have a great and safe hunting season.

Any new fishing reports. Me and some buddys are going to winnie. fri.-sun.

Jeff: We ran into a lot of wind which limited where we could go on Winnie, had a full boat, fishing not playing poker. As a result we were not able to fish the north shore where in the past we do well this time of year. The best two spots for us were Big Muskie, right on the breakline up to the 14ft. flat and we had some success in shallow by Nodaks east of Little Stony Point, drifting from 7 out to about 10 ft. of water. In a lot of the other shallow areas we caught a lot of smaller perch and wanted to target the eyes. Fishing did pick up on Monday evening and tuesday when we left so I would think you should have a good bite. I used a jig minnow combo but others were using crawlers.

• 7 months later...

What what a week of fishing.Wind Rain and plenty walleyes.

Winnie was just ok for me found most of my fish around the river channel in 9-13 ft of water. they weren't fast and furious but steady. the other areas on winnie were some of the little humps off the river channel in 20 ft off the edges of the humps. I also got some fish in the inside river channel in 5-7 ft of water. The fish were all over the place but hard to entice.

Bowstring was the other lake I was on this week with excellent results. most of the fish were on the edge of the main lake bread in 15-23 ft of water and there are lots of them. Lots of small and big fish but plenty around for the livewell. Most the fish in Bowstring were caught on a 1/4 oz gumball and a shiner or a chub.

good luck fishing and we will keep the reports coming

Jason Boser

Jason Boser

Fishing Fever Guide Service

http://www.fishingminnesota.com

218-999-5591

Walleye fishing the last few days has continued to be good. Weather patterns continue to try and work against us but most days it seems we can always find a spot or two that hold plenty of walleyes. It seems on the larger bodies such as Leech and Winnibigoshish it always seems to be a little tougher and you never seem to be able to get two days in a row and typically just a couple hours on a school before you are off and searching for the next honey hole. In the Grand Rapids area, Pokegama, Trout Lake and Splithand Lake are producing very well using a 1/8 or 1/4oz. Fire Ball Jig tipped with a minnow in 10 to 15 foot of water. The Deer River area lakes are also producing well, strangely for this time of year the best bites are with a jig and minnow but only way deeper, 17' down to even 25' have produced the best. Bait dealers are really struggling to get Spot Tail Shiners any more so it wont be long before we will be switching from jigs to rigs dragging Leeches and Crawlers.

Good Luck to all and be safe

Jeff Skelly

http://www.mnfishingpros.com/meet_jeff_skelly.html

218-246-8086

Once the weather got done with the fish seemed to turn on up here the weekend was a great time to be fishing. Fished Sand, Leech,Ballclub and touched on island this weekend. Sand lake has picked up with the fish being caught in mostly deeper water 15-23 ft but we are also getting some fish in the weeds with the perch in 6-8 ft. I have been using a 1/8 oz northland gumball for most of my fishing. Leech was pretty decent too. Most of our fish came in the weeds in 7-9 ft. When we found weeds we found fish it seemed. again a 1/8 oz gumball and a shiner was the key. Ballclub was the disappointment for me the weekend. I had a hard time putting anything together. The water was high with all the rain and might have screwed up the fishing. Island Lake was decent also most fish in the 9-13 ft with jig and minnow being the key. The shiners are going to be tough to come by soon so enjoy them while you can. soon we will be rigging.

good luck fishing

Jason

Jason Boser

Fishing Fever Guide Service

http://www.fishingminnesota.com

218-999-5591

Lake Winnibigoshish June 6, 2012 Fishing Report

With no wind the last few days, the shallow water bite (in my opinion that never was this year) again wasn’t the place to look for walleyes. So started out deep in the 20 to 23 ft range on the north humps, which in again my opinion is 2 weeks ahead of normal. Found quite a few walleyes that have moved out deep, and was pleasantly surprise on catching 2 out 3 fish in the 15 to 16 ½ range. I have been using a Northland Tackle 3/8 oz Fireball jig tip with a spot tail shiner. I’m sure you could also rig the fish with leeches and crawlers but I like the jig minnow because we also were picking up some nice size northern pike along with some jumbo perch. If the winds pick up I’m sure you can also still fine some shallow fish, but I would look in weeded areas. Perch bite has been good in the Tamarack bay area anywhere’s from 4 to 8 feet.

The week of heat has made our shiners getting tough to find, probably the last week to really have a good shiner bite. I guess its time to switch to leeches and crawlers with lindy’s and spinners.

Fished Bowstring most of last week. It is starting to get hammered down a bit. I have still been able to get my fish but have to work alittle harder now. Jig and minnow has been my bait so far but not for long soon it will be dragging leeches and crawlers.

Fished Island lake and it was ok most fish have been over the slot and we have to work hard to keep fish. Again Jigs have been the best but soon will change. The best depth have been 12-16 ft.

Winnie has still been alittle tough most fish have been in the weeds or on the fist drop but they are starting to show up on the humps pretty good. Again winnie we are having a hard time with fish we can keep, hopefully things will turn around soon.

good luck fishing

Jason

Lake Winnibigoshish June 16, 2012

Fishing Report

Last Thursday with strong South East wings we fished Musky Bay area produce a few walleyes in the 13 to 14 inch range and a lot of smaller walleyes, a large amount of perch were present along with some northern pike. Making a nice mix bag for the day. The following day, with lights winds we moved out to mid lake humps. Didn’t mark a lot of fish but we always found some on each hump. You would get the active ones on the first pass, and maybe a bite or too on the second pass, and then the fish would move off. The keeper ratio was 4 over size to every keeper. Our best presentation for the day still was 3/8 oz jig tip with a minnow, tried leeches but just wasn’t getting the bites compared to the guys jigging so we all switch to jigs. Caught some nice size northern pike along with the walleyes, but no perch.

This area fishing guide Charlie Worrath

The last few days of guiding has found me fishing most every species we have in the area. I spent one day recently on a small lake fishing bluegills and large Mouth Bass. Both the gills and Bass were all still pre spawn but up in the shallows preparing for the spawn. We had alot of fun catching good numbers of both. The gills were eager to take a small leech under a slip bobber and the bass we used Northland Tackles new Impulse Ribbon worms. Yesterday we fished Winnibigoshish for Walleyes and were pleasantly surprised to find good numbers of fish on most the humps we fished. The wind was blowing hard and seemed to have these fish hungry. We caught most of our Walleyes in 20 to 25 feet of water dragging Leeches on a Northland Roach Rig. I also spent a day fishing Muskys on Moose Lake. We were able to see 5 different fish and had hooked in two of them but unfortunately both fish were lost at the boat.

This is area fishing guide Jeff Skelly-www.finstofeathersguideservice.com

Gills and bass are still prespawn there? Weird! On Leech and most of the lakes around here, the gills were already up on their beds almost three weeks ago.

Thanks for the good report - I've got to get over to Winnie soon. I fish it all the time in the winter; don't know why I don't get out there more in the summer!

Comin' up on the full moon again,,,sunnies will sometimes hold till Jul.

full moon if the conditions aren't right till then. We had an early ice

out but water temps stayed cooler than normal.