• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Winnibigoshish Fishing Reports by Fishing Fever Guide Service

Lake Winnibigoshish Fishing Report

June 24, 2012

On last Thursday I was fishing another area small lake. We did well jigging shiners in 14 to 17 ft along a main lake break till about 10 AM the sun was high and the wind was light. The fish just to seem to disappear, at 1 AM decided to jump over to Big Winnie. Landed at Highbanks Resort headed to humps on the north side of the lake. Marked a lot fish in 21 to 23 ft. range drop down 3/8 oz jigs tip with golden shiners, along with a rig tip with a leech from 2PM to 4 PM we boated 25 walleyes kept 8 walleyes to fill out the day. Jigs out fished the rig 2 to 1. Next day we had a 3 boat trip, we headed to the about same area, by 2 PM we had all our fish with along with just as many slot fish which we released. Again jig minnow was the hot ticket, but as the day changed to the PM the leech was gaining the upper hand. With high hopes on Sunday headed back out with couple staying at Highbanks found a lot of Mayfly hulls on the surface, and it was a day if you missed a bite your limited went form 6 to 5, what a difference a day can make, but tomorrow a another day. Good luck be safe.

This area fishing guide Charlie Worrath

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jason Boser

• gregg52

• MAdDuckiceroads

• Huskie

Thanks for the report Charlie.

Either Winnie or Red Lake bound on Thursday.

Decisions......decisions!

Brian

I have been from winnie to island lake this last week and all with the same results very inconsistent. Started with winnie and had a pretty decent day Jig and minnow was working we could see the fish on the humps and they bit pretty good. The next day we went went back and figured we could do the same but that was a no go. so with a teenager in the boat I needed some action so off we went to bowstring. I checked all the deep stuff on the south end humps where I was catching a couple days before , nothing. I ended up running spinners in the weeds for some action and managed a few northerns perch and walleyes. Next day Off to Jessie we went deep found the fish on the humps and we would go over them and over them and pick one up here and one up there. we had jig and minnow and I even pulled a crawler over them and the same slow results, next we went to sand and caught some northerns perch and walleye off the main lake bars in 11-15 ft of water but again not real great fishing, but we had some action. Next day to Island lake again I could see the fish out on some of the humps out there and I would hold right over them and bonck them on the head but pick up just one fish and if you missed a fish it was a long time between bites. So next we went back to sand and had a couple walleyes off a shoreline with jig and minnow in 11-13 ft and caught some perch and northern also.

So you can see the week has been a frustrating one and hope it gets better.

Good luck fishing

Jason Boser

Fishing Fever Guide Service

http://www.fishingminnesota.com

218-999-5591

Thanks for the reports. I enjoy reading them.

Gives me a good place to start my searches. Depth/presentation

June 29, 2012

The walleyes are holding up to their reputation as being wind driven, this week I fished mostly on the north side humps 21 to 23 ft range with 6ft snells tip mainly with leeches. When the wind blew 15+ mph the fish really took hold, it didn’t seem to matter what bait or presentation you used and some guys also pick up some shallow water eyes in musky bay, jig minnow. Then the days with 5 mph or less you would think someone sewed their mouth shut. Crawlers seem to be the best bait on those days. Found one hump that held a lot of fish, it worked very well, tell other boats found it also. So went searching for and the key word was searching never should have left the first spot.

Be safe and have fun, This is area Fishing Guide Charlie Worrath www.charliegonefishingguideservice.com

This last week found me fishing a variety of species again, last Thursday in a big SO.W. wind we fished muskys for the day and had a ball. We saw 6 fish for the day up to 45" and did manage to catch a small 28" musky on one of Northland Tackles new bucktails. Every fished came in hot and looked like they were going to eat but backed off the last second. Bass fishing Trout lake was good, we caught alot of fish covering ground with spinner baits pitching to the edge of standing cane and retrieving them in at a fast pace seemed to be the way to turn them on. Walleyes have kind of continued to be a hit or miss deal. Big Winnie has been a little stingier giving up fish, the humps and bars are the place you want to concentrate your efforts, dragging leeches and crawlers on live bait rigs has been the best way to get them still. Seems like fishing a spot will produce 1 or 2 fish and then you have to move on to another.

Good luck out there- Jeff Skelly www.finstofeathersguideservice.com

• 2 weeks later...

July 11, 2012

The hot still weather has defiantly making changes faster then normal. The water temps are in the 78 degree range. Seems for now there aren’t many walleyes on the humps. The last couple days we have been running spinners tip with a crawler in 10 to 11 ft. range over weeds, tip mostly with a ½ crawler. Doing very good on some days then grinding it out the next. Lot of nice size pike mixed in, along with some perch but most are small. Perch are starting to show up on rock humps in the 15 ft. range. Crank baits are doing better on the northern pike then walleyes although you will pick a few off. Be safe and have fun.

This area fishing guide Charlie Worrath, www.charliesgonefishingguideservice.com

The heat up here just doesn’t let up. It’s a good thing the fish are cooperating so far. Fished Sand one day and all the fish were in the weeds that we caught in that 9-10ft area. I was using a jig and minnow or a Northland spinner with minnows as the bait of choice. I have been to bowstring fishing the weeds in 6-8 ft of water looking for the weeds pulling pinners with a crawler or a minnow. They seemed to like the minnow alittle better. I have also been fishing winnie and that has been the best of the lakes this last week. look for the weeds, some are in 12 ft some are in the 6-8 ft so different areas have different weed lines.If you find the weeds the fish seem to be there. Winnie has been partial to the crawler as the bait to tip the spinners with, and we have been running 1-1.3 m.p.h.. I also had the opprotunity to look for northerns and the shorelines with the shallower weeds seem to really go. We were cranking rattlin raps in the 7-9 ft go water and they were hitting hard it was a lot of fun.

so stay cool and good luck fishing

Jason

Jason Boser

http://www.mnfishingpros.com

218-999-5591

Lake Winnie or Winnibigoshish Fishing Report

July 18, 2012

After a slow start this season, Winnie is starting to make up for lost time. Look for walleyes in 8 to 11 foot range, mainly in or around some type of weeds. We have mostly been pulling spinners (gold hammered blades) tip mainly with a ½ crawler, if bother to bad my small perch, leeches and minnows have work just about as good. Also finding a lot of nice size pike mixed in. The water temps are in the high 70’s and has it 80 on calm days. Starting to see dead ciscoes on the water, this is a sign of low oxygen in the deeper water, which is bringing in the walleyes and larger pike to weeds. Look for perch on areas containing rocks again 9 to 12 ft.

This area full time fishing guide Charlie Worrath, www.charliesgonefishingguideservice.com

• 2 weeks later...

Grand Rapids-Deer River-Big Winnie

Fishing Report July 27, 2012

The hot weather for past couple months has made the area lakes turn into a hot bite, for walleyes, northern pike, perch, & along with some good crappie, sunfish action. Most but not all the fish have moved into weed areas, 9 to 11 feet depth. Were still mainly running spinners with gold hammered blades, tip with mainly with a minnows to avoid the small perch that have been consistently pulling your crawlers apart. With the spinners we can cover a lot of ground and were also picking up a lot of nice size pike. This has worked in all the area lakes. Again look for perch in rocks, jig minnow vertical fishing 10 to 14 ft. range. Crappies that I have seen are suspended, running spinner, has work well.

Be safe & Have fun, this area fishing guide Charlie Worrath www.charliesgonefishingguidesercies.com

• 2 weeks later...

Gold Northland Rainbow Spinners continue to shine the last week. Were fishing huge weed beds on the north and east shores of Lake Winnie in 11 to 12' of water. It seems you have to have minnows,crawlers and leeches because the Walleyes seem to show a stronger preference from one day to the next. Its been alot of fun and good action, Walleyes are not the only thing eating this presentation, Crappie,Northern Pike and Perch are liking the spinners and providing good action most every day. I have been hearing good reports from Musky fisherman seeing and starting to catch some nice fish. I have not had a chance to fish them yet but will be in the next week or two and will report then, looking forward to going after them. Good luck and good fishing

Jeff Skelly

Fins to Feathers Guide Service

Grand Rapids-Deer River- Big Winnie

Fishing Report August 9, 2012

Were almost to the middle of August, and were starting to some signs of fall, as the water temps have dropped. Now in the mid 70’s range. Crappies blue gills are being caught with more consistently. The crappies are in 6 to 10 ft. were using a jig and minnow. Blue gills, small jig with a piece of a worm. Walleye action this past week was a on and off affair. We had that sudden drop in water temp, I thing it shook them up a little. Big Winnie, Sand and Split Hand have been the most active lakes in our area. Spinners or a jig tipped with a ½ crawler or minnow have still been our best presentation at this time. We have been picking up some nice size pike in the 30 inch range on Winnie. Nicer Perch look for them on rock piles 10 to 15 ft range, jig minnow and fish vertical.

This area fishing guide Charlie Worrath Be safe and have fun. www.charliegonefishingguideservice.com

What a great week to be fishing The temps were perfect and the fish were biting. All last week I was on winnie. To me one of the best bites we have had in awhile there.

I was on the east shore pulling spinners for most of the time. A northland spinner and a 1/2 a crawler was all you needed. The fish were in 8.5 to 10.5 was the best depth for me. The walleyes were all keepers too I got very few that were over the slot which was a nice change of pace this year. After we were done with our walleyes I have been able to run some rattlin Raps on the north shore for the Northern and they were productive also. We will have to wait and see what the cold front does but I expect the fish to continue to bite like this for awhile

good luck fishing

Jason Boser

218-999-5591

I have a cousin coming up Labor Day weekend, and he's never fished Winnie. I usually only fish it in the winter - where would you recommend we start looking for perch/eyes/pike?

I would look at the east or north sides of the lake on the edge of the weeds has been the best

Jason

Walleye fishing continues to be still pretty good, winnibigoshish has still been giving up good numbers of fish pulling Northland Rainbow Spinners in 8 to 10 foot of water. The best bites for me have been on the east side of Winnie especially if you can find a school that hasnt had alot of pressure from other boats. Nice Northern pike are being taken also, pike from 25 to 30 inches have bbbeen providing some great bonus action. Crappies and Bluegills are starting to show up also in there Fall deep water haunts, a jig and minnow fished in 15 to 25 foot have been the best. Good luck and good fishing

Jeff Skelly

Fins to Feathers Guide Service

Grand Rapids, Deer River Area & Big Winnie

Fishing Report August 23, 2012

The water temps are slowly dropping to the low 70’s still a little warm for a good jig and minnow bite for walleyes, but the walleye have been hitting a minnow attached to a spinner. Winnie still the hot bite for walleyes 8.5 to 9.5 foot range rigging with a crawler or spinners tip with a ½ crawler or minnow have produced well. Crappies are starting in cut-foot but the size is down. Crappies have been hitting on Bowstring this past week in 7-8 ft on the rocks. Northern pike has been very good, casting or trolling the cabbage beds, along with a good bite the sizes has been very good, with quite a few over the 30 inch range. Be safe and have some fun.

This is Area Fishing Guide Charlie Worrath, www.mnfishingproscom

After a few days of a nice cool down its back to the heat. The fishing is showing that. The walleye are still scattered around the weed edges in almost every lake. It seems the best way to get to them is with the spinner. spinners can be tipped with leeches if you can find one, crawlers or a minnow. I have been out looking for the crappies on some lakes and I am finding the little fish have been biting in all my haunts. It takes a few fish caught before you get one to keep. I believe it will get better as the water cools. The Northern seem to be right in the weeds and they have been biting pretty good. So cover ground and you should catch some fish

good luck fishing

Jason Boser

218-999-5591

Big Winnie and Surrounding Area Lakes

Fishing Report Sept. 3, 2012

This a kind of a repeat fishing report, as the weather continues to be very warm and keeping the water temps in the 70’s. Winnie hasn’t change much, still a lot of walleyes on the east shore, spinners gold blade tip with a minnow have work well for me, and the minnow keeps the pesky little perch from ripping up your bait. Lot of guy’s are just dragging crawler and doing very well. There’s also been a good bite on Bena, Horseshoe bar when the winds are light, 15 to 18 ft range rigs and crawlers has been the best bet. Most of the smaller lakes in the area also have been doing well like Cass, Sand, Jessie, and Six Mile. Caught some fish on this smaller lake with a Jig minnow, or Jig & crawler, Pan fish are starting pick up, and will be a lot better when the water cools a few degrees. Have fun be safe.

This area full time fishing guide Charlie Worrath, affiliated with www.mnfishingpros.com

Still can’t get rid of this heat with water temps in the 7os we havent had a cool down yet and the walleyes are still in the same mode. We have been spinning with crawlers again the last few days. Sand has been decent with the walleye being in the 10-12 ft range. The fish are moving alittle into some of their fall haunts going to the steeper breaks but you have to cover ground with the spinners to get them to bite. Winnie has been abit a bit tougher some fish on the east side by high banks and a few down in muskie bay and caught a few on muskie bar. I havent been able to put a good bite together on winnie.

The crappies on cutfoot have been biting but we have to weed through the smaller ones to get the keepers but we have been able to cath some fish. The crappies on sand have been alright also. The weather is supose to change up here so maybe we can get to that good fall bite we have all been waiting for

good luck fishing

Jason Boser

218-999-5591

Hey Jason -

I am headed up to Sand in a few weeks and wondered what general pattern are you finding for crappies this time of year? We do ok early in the year but don't have much luck as it moves along. I don't want a "spot" but just general info to get me started if you would share about depths, bottom, etc. where you have some success on Sand.

Thanks.

Lake Winnibigoshish and surrounding area Lakes

Fishing Report September 17, 2012

Well it’s been a lot slower bite on almost all area lakes concerning walleyes, the exception would be Sand Lake. With this week will be a major cold front coming in, probably slow things down, I know that’s not what you want to hear, but the water temp will defiantly take a dive, which should start up the jig minnow bite, and limit some of food sources available, to help the bite. Crappies and blue gill bite has been pretty consistent on most lakes. Jigging with a piece of crawler or minnow, 11 ft to 20 ft range, blue gill up shallower. Northern pike bite has been very good on Big Ball Club Lake, jigging with a shiner and heavy mono leader 14 to 16 ft range. This will be my final fishing report for the 2012 open water season, as I will be parking my boat on 9/26 and picking up my shotgun.

Take care, be safe, and have a great fall, as you all know it’s a very short season; this is area full time fishing guide Charlie Worrath, Charlie’s Gone Fishing Guide Services, affiliated with www.mnfishingpros.com