• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

College Hockey - 2011/2012

solbes

I think if you guys could swing the next 2 back to back, that would be a mighty fine way to exit the WCHA. Would pass Bucky and tie ND and DU. And would be a heckuva way to start your BTHC recruiting effort.

We better ease up on all this NC talk, you are starting to sound crazy and that would pretty much make me clinically insane.

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• solbes

• cbrooks

• scsavre

• Bear55

Top Posters In This Topic

Well....they can't do much wrost grin

Oh sure they can do worse . . . don't be so negative . . . grin

Unfortunately, I think they'll crack the top 5 this year and maybe actually finally play in one of their regionals in their back yard.

Shorelunch. U sound like a gopher fan. Playoffs, wow. Don't worry our team with all its playoff experience will be playing at the x or is it marriucci in the regions. That sure is crazy to think the gophs don't have a Player that has any playoff experience. Maybe out little transfer we got has played a game.

Gophs are shooting for 3rd. Official predictions coming in sept but.....

Cc

Denver . Ill have to check their roster

Gophs

Cloud

Sioux

The X has the 2012 NCAA Regional. Which means crappy atmosphere unless you get the Gophers or combination of 2+ of Huskies, Dogs, Badgers, or Sioux. I couldn't believe how quiet the crowd was at the 2009 Regional at Mariucci when the Dogs played Miami there. It was like watching an exhibition pre-season game. Huge difference between that and the F4 this past season.

I see top 7 being very crowded in the WCHA next year. Should be a good ride.

1) Tigers

2-7) Up for grabs between Huskies, Sioux, Pioneers, Gophers, Dogs, and Blais' Mavs

]Shorelunch. U sound like a gopher fan. Playoffs, wow. Don't worry our team with all its playoff experience will be playing at the x or is it marriucci in the regions. That sure is crazy to think the gophs don't have a Player that has any playoff experience. Maybe out little transfer we got has played a game.

Gophs are shooting for 3rd. Official predictions coming in sept but.....

Cc

Denver . Ill have to check their roster

Gophs

Cloud

Sioux

I think I'd cheer for the Russians back in 1980 than for the Gophers laugh

I think UMtc in 3rd is a little too optimistic.

CC - talented squad, nice win last year vs BC

DU - can they duct tape a goalie to the net?

UNO - Blaiser has a good young squad

UND - loss of scoring hurts

MN - gotta like Coach G back, good recruits as always

SCSU - I'd put them higher, except it's SCSU

UMD - who knows

WI - who knows

AA

BSU

TECH

Mankato

Definitely a wild guess after CC and DU.

I think I'd cheer for the Russians back in 1980 than for the Gophers

I don't care who you cheer for that is funny! grin

My $.02 worth....and that's taking inflation into account!

CC - get the nod over DU based on goalie

DU - may drop if they can't find a goalie

UND - lost a LOT of scoring but they seem to just reload and march on

UNO - won't be "sneaking" up on anyone this year

SCSU - weak on the blue line could be costly

MN - would place higher but it is the Gophs.

UMD - lost 2/3 of the big line, Falk and captain is tough to replace.

WI - no idea

BSU

AA

TECH

Mankato

Top 2 are a cut above the rest. If Brittan can return early it will help DU a lot. I don't think other teams expected UNO to be that good last year but they will have a bigger target on them this year. Hack just seems to reload so I had to keep them no lower than 3.

SCSU should score and if Lee lives up to expectations then they could surprise. Could be tough if they get some new D to step up. Gophs have the talent to move up, just haven't seen much out of them the last few years. No idea what to expect out of WI.

Sorry Solbes but I think UMD lost a LOT! Probably worth it though to have a National Title.

Sorry Solbes but I think UMD lost a LOT! Probably worth it though to have a National Title.

Can't argue with that. JT will play strong with JConn. Oleksuk will be solid #2 centerman. Beyond that we need 3-4 guys (Basaraba, Seidel, Bergman, and Lamb) to step up huge and start finding the back of the net. Unlikely they can keep up with last year.

As to your last point...Yup!

full-5554-10864-f42011016.jpg

More drama on the continuing change in college hockey. CCHA and WCHA met to discuss a possible merger (link below). The CCHA had also met with 4 Atlantic Hockey schools a couple weeks back to discuss their possible admission into the CCHA.

CCHA WCHA Merger Talks

Everything is hinging on Notre Dame's decision. Such a weird situation where the whole conference realignment can be affected by one school. WMU has indicated they will try to follow ND wherever they go, whether it be NCHC or Hockey East. Both NCHC and Hockey East have extended invites to Notre Dame, not sure on WMU. Apparently the Irish will announce their future plans at the CCHA planning meeting Aug 15-16. CCHA will then likely announce whether they are adding a couple schools to get above 6, add 4 Atlantic teams, or merge with the WCHA.

And then there is some published talk of Versus picking up more college hockey games, but nothing concrete on who. All conferences already have some kind of TV deal in place (outside of NCHC), so it may be a similar situation to CBS College Sports. Although I hope they have the wisdom to show something other than Hockey East and obscure small eastern college teams.

Ok everyone hurry up and figure this stuff out, sick of change already and just want to get back to watching hockey and get to some kind of new normal, although that might take a while.

Really its all speculation until Notre Dame makes there decision that will happen sometime this month.

Sounds like Notre Dame won't be pressured to announce what there future intentions are until Sept 30th.

This is starting to get sickening

Kind of holding all the smaller schools hostage, aren't they? CCHA is barely hanging on and they can't make up their mind in 2 months? I hope they get it together and announce at the mid August CCHA meeting so the rest of the leauges can make their decisions before the season starts.

Notre Dame will let the CCHA what there decision is Aug 15-16. There doesn't seem to be any indications of what they will announce. I have a feeling this isn't good news for the new conference...just a hunch.

Brooks, got my first 50incher of the year friday. My fish 2 weeks ago was 49.5 and this one was 50.5. So I think I can just say Ive got 2 50's this year. thats how we keep score in the gopher state.

Man, I hate all this power that Notre Dame is getting.

Did I hear on the fargo news that the Sioux name is gone again.....I dont even pay attention anymore.

]Brooks, got my first 50incher of the year friday. My fish 2 weeks ago was 49.5 and this one was 50.5. So I think I can just say Ive got 2 50's this year. thats how we keep score in the gopher state.

Got my first 50 yesterday evening. Only pic is from a chitty cellphone...oh well. Fishing should be good for a little bit now up in my neck of the woods wink

Nice fish guys. I'm impressed!

Notre Dame better pony up here and announce their intentions. The wait is getting pretty old. Will we know after tomorrow?

Good story in the Duluth News Tribune about Senior Kyle Schmidt of Duluth's about playing with two bone fractures in his hand (first break from a slash from backup goalie during practice). Guy's got some grit, and we needed his goal in each of the F4 games. Maybe he could talk with Joe Mauer about catching consecutive games?

Kyle Schmidt Story

"...in a 5-3 win over No. 1-ranked Yale University on March 26, he jammed the blade of his stick into the boards and the butt end was jammed into his right palm. He broke the hamate bone.

“I was told I could have my hand in a cast for six weeks, and my college career would be over, or I could have surgery again,” said Schmidt. “I said ‘Sign me up for the surgery.’ There was no way I wasn’t going to try to play.”

A 45-minute procedure was performed March 29. A tiny screw, a 16th-of-an-inch around, was put across the fracture to hold the two sides of the bone together. One thing in Schmidt’s favor was having a week off between the NCAA Regional and the Frozen Four." ...

"Schmidt, 23, UMD’s 2011 co-scholar-athlete of the year, was cleared to participate in the Frozen Four, but was apprehensive leading to the Notre Dame game on April 7 at St. Paul’s Xcel Energy Center. His first-period goal tied the game 2-2 on the way to a victory.

“The hand was so sore. It was still broken, and, at first, I didn’t think I was going to play. I didn’t know if I could stickhandle or shoot,” said Schmidt. “I could pass decently hard and my legs felt fine; I just had to bear down.

“After the game, I can’t describe the pain. It was horrible, but we had one day off to rest before the championship game.”

On the off-day, April 8, Schmidt was given the Division I Derek Hines Unsung Hero Award, which honors the memory of a United States Army combat solider and former college player regarded as a consummate team player and team builder. It was a unique quirk of fate.

Right until game time against Michigan, however, Schmidt was judging his hand’s health.

“It was completely up to me about playing and it was iffy,” he said. “After warm ups, I was feeling comfortable and I just had to be strong in my mind and keep my nerves calm.”

UMD and Michigan were tied 2-2 after regulation play with Travis Oleksuk, Schmidt’s centerman, scoring one goal and freshman Max Tardy, on a power play unit in place of Schmidt, scoring the other. Less than four minutes into overtime, UMD defenseman Brady Lamb one-handed the puck into the right corner of the offensive zone. Schmidt let the puck go through him and to Oleksuk, and snuck to the front of the Michigan net, right in front of Michigan goalie Shawn Hunwick.

Schmidt screamed for the puck, Oleksuk found him with a perfectly-placed, no-look pass from behind the net. Schmidt found the right side of the net wide open. The game ended at 3:22 of sudden death and a UMD-partisan crowd of 19,222 roared."

Can't coach it for sure. But that memory will be burned in his head for the rest of his life. Probably the pinnacle of a hockey career.

In related news, no news from the Fighting Irish. Still himming and hawing over their decision. HE, NCHC, or independence seem to be the top 3 options. They have a In or Out date from CCHA of September 30th, hope they don't wait that long.

Assuming they leave CCHA, it appears that the CCHA will either add 4 Atlantic schools thereby granting additional scholorships to those 4 teams, or there will be a WCHA/CCHA merger. Glad we all wait while the Irish figure out which TV deal will bring them the most money.

I sure do not want to see a merger between the WCHA/CCHA, I would rather bring in LSSU and UAFairbanks or swap one of these two if MSUMoorhead getas a team!!