• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Sad News

DTro

He was the source of a lot of entertainment for MN over the years:

Harmon Killebrew:

"It is with profound sadness that I share with you that my continued battle with esophageal cancer is coming to an end. With the continued love and support of my wife, Nita, I have exhausted all options with respect to controlling this awful disease. My illness has progressed beyond my doctors' expectation of cure.

I have spent the past decade of my life promoting hospice care and educating people on its benefits. I am very comfortable taking this next step and experiencing the compassionate care that hospice provides.

I am comforted by the fact that I am surrounded by my family and friends. I thank you for the outpouring of concern, prayers and encouragement that you have shown me. I look forward to spending my final days in comfort and peace with Nita by my side."

I remember cheering for him at the old Met when I was a pup in the mid 60's....he was every kids hero.

I remember when I was a kid my Dad and I would often watch the Twins on TV or at the Met. Every time, and I mean EVERY time, Harmon would come up my Dad would say "Lose one Harmon" and he often did. I miss my Dad and I'll miss Harmon. Those really were the good old days.

So sad. From everything I've heard he is such a wonderfully nice man in person. Very few like him in professional sports these days. We'll miss ya killer

Now that is one class act right there. Harmon truly is, and ever will be, the people's hero!

What a beautiful, and eloquent way to say goodbye. God speed, Harmon! See ya' on the other side.

When the time comes, our Creator is getting a truly great man!

Thanks for the memories Killer!

Mark

I always use one of his quotes when I get jabbed about our grass/weeds in our yard:

“My father used to play with my brother and me in the yard. Mother would come out and say, "You're tearing up the grass"; "We're not raising grass," Dad would reply. "We're raising boys";”

He passed away this morning frown

RIP

Harmon Clayton Killebrew, an iconic Minnesota Twin known for his prodigious home runs and humble demeanor, passed away Tuesday morning at his Scottsdale, Ariz., home at the age of 74 after a nearly five-month battle with esophageal cancer.

Truley a sad day for the Twins, baseball, and the world as a whole as we lost a truely great one today.....rest in peace Harmon

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

The Harmless Killer.

I loved that man!!!

He's in a better place!!!

I remember how special it was to me to be able to go the old Met on "Harmon Killebrew Day" and watch him ride around the perimeter in a golf cart, smiling and waving to all the fans. Truly a great man, on and off the field.

Never met the man, but knew someone who did. I used to work at a grocery store in Pelican Rapids. We delivered to a few elderly people, one of which was an 80 something year old guy. He had a mentally handicapped son that lived with him. One day our conversation turned to baseball and when he found out I loved the game, he called his son into the living room. He told the son, now in his late 50's, that one of my favorite players was Harmon Killebrew. The son's face lit up and the father told him to show me what he had. The son went over to a modest kitchen hutch and pulled a baseball with Harmon's autograph and he was simply beaming as he brought it over to me. The father explained that he had lived in Washington DC for several years and took his son to a baseball game. Harmon came over and visited with them for a while. Before he left, he offered the son an autographed baseball and wished them well. All those years later, the son still gushed when he talked about his hero, the friendly baseball player Harmon Killebrew. Harmon's time on this earth is finished. He made the most of his life. I have a feeling that, along with Harmon's friends and family that have gone before him, there will be a fan from long ago welcoming him to his new home. God be with you Harmon.

RIP Killer!!! you are in a better place and will never be forgotten.

It's only fitting that a total of 3 runs total were scored in tonights game, along with 3 hits for the Twins and 3 hits for the Mariners. even in his passing the "Killer" was on the field!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• partyonpine
      Opener and the week after were good.  Not the numbers we normally get but better quality in the East End.  Not surprised on the weights for the Auto City a.  Usually for us we only catch a few slot fish but we averaged 3 a day for 10 days.  2 overs, biggest 27 inches.     Our best luck was 12-16 feet for quality.  When we went deeper we caught more but smaller.  Bass were really starting to heat up.  For me little earlier than normal.  Found some nice Bluegills the day we went after some panfish.  Dock fishing was as many as we wanted per usual.
    • Shulsebus
      We will be up on June 8th for the week. It will be our 13th year in a row staying on the lake.  I hope the walleye are hitting the bobbers by the time that we get there. 
    • SkunkedAgain
      Those are some fine specimens. Great job
    • gimruis
      I'm quite shocked to hear that a walleye tournament is still doing a live weigh in.  Virtually every event these days around here is doing a catch, photo, and release format.   Regardless, nice work.  Congrats.
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   A great week of fishing with walleyes and saugers caught in good numbers.   The go-to presentation, again, was a jig and frozen emerald shiner.  Emerald shiners are a staple in LOW and walleyes love them.  Other minnows worked also, but emerald shiners are a favorite of anglers for good reason.   The Lighthouse Gap area, Morris Point Gap and just in front of Pine Island held nice fish in 17 - 21' of water.  Various schools of walleyes and saugers across the south shore.     A quarter ounce jig in gold, glow white, pink, orange, chartreuse, or a combo of these colors tipped with a minnow worked well again.   Some big pike and jumbo perch being caught by walleye anglers. On the Rainy River...  Some nice walleyes were caught on the river this weekend, although most anglers normally head to the lake.  12 - 15' of water is holding some nice fish.   Sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River is closed until the keep season starts up again July 1st. Up at the NW Angle...  Some nice walleyes being caught along with a mixed bag.  12 - 25 feet of water.  Points, neck down areas and bays with warming water were holding good fish this week.    The go-to presentation was a jig and minnow as on the south shore.  A mixed bag as is common around the Angle.  
    • leech~~
      Nice work!   Here's two words you hardly ever hear anyone say anymore.  "grateful and humbled"   
    • Brianf.
      RLG, thanks for the shout-out!     Jeff and I are still trying to wrap our heads around what happened this past weekend.  We are humbled and full of gratitude  for having won 'The Classic' for a second time.     We practiced through all the rain on Thurs and the wind on Friday and found six different spots holding big fish.  Fishing was good on both days with several 'overs' in our catch...but would it hold up for another day?   We didn't know.     On tourney day, we made a long run to our first spot where I lucked out on a 26.5"er on my second cast.  Jeff followed up with a thick 27" er a few minutes later, which turned out to be the big fish for the event at 7.26lbs.  We finished out our limit and weighed-in at 10:30 am for the welfare of the fish in our livewell.    There were some big weights in this event which would have won in most other years, but - for whatever reason - this was our day.  Everything just went our way.  Again, we are just super grateful and humbled by this success.  We also want to congratulate all the other anglers who did well and give a big 'thank you' to the tournament organizers who put on such a great event!  
    • SkunkedAgain
      I had a good start to the season on opener. Fishing was slow but consistent. I had four eaters in the box by lunch dragging perch raps. Crappies were biting. I haven't been up since so don't know how things have changed since then, but I'm sure the walleye continue to migrate out into the main basins.
    • redlabguy
      Let’s start this by congratulating Brianf and son for winning their second City Autoglass Walleye Classic last weekend. These guys know how to fish.  We just got to the lake for the season. Chores are almost done and I’m ready to fish.  red(new dog is more yellow)labguy
    • Jetsky
      I tried starting a 2024 Lake Vermilion Fishing Report topic but it doesn't show up on this board.   Maybe somebody else knows how to do it?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.