• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

WOW!

SledNeck

Quote:
On Monday night, right-hander Alex Wimmers, the Minnesota Twins' first-round pick in the 2010 draft, had a season debut that could only be classified as disturbing.

Pitching for High-A Fort Myers in the Florida State League, he faced six batters and walked them all, throwing 28 pitches in the process and delivering almost as many wild pitches (three) as he did strikes (four).

That's a troubling line for any pitcher, but it's made even more so by the fact that Wimmers always had above-average command and control, a skill the Twins have always favored more than other big league teams when it comes to amateur pitchers.

What actually happened is still a mystery, as Wimmers was placed on the seven-day disabled list Tuesday morning with what the team called "flu-like symptoms," while the Minneapolis Star-Tribune reported that he had struggled in his final exhibition outing as well and will work on his mechanics before attempting a return to the rotation.

I don't think our farm system would go down the tube with one failed single A prospect. We have several high end prospects that are viewed highly across MLB. A lot of strong pitcher prospects like Gibson, Wimmers, Hendricks, Salcedo, Burnett, Slama, Waldrop, the list goes on and on. We have plenty of big bats in the works in our minor league system as well like Hicks, Revere, Sano, Bullock, and Benson to name a few. I don't think we have to worry about our minor league system, especially compared to other franchises.

If you look at the Royals, they have by far the best minor league system in MLB. They are going to have one heck of a team in a few years. If you guys aren't familiar with some of their prospects, I suggest taking a look. It is jaw dropping how many studs they have in their system.

Jdubya,

I dont think you can include half of those guys on your lists....including Wimmers as a "strong pitching prospect" when he hasnt even played in the minors and now has this snafu. also, slama, burnett and waldrop are not exactly high ceiling guys. slama got shelled in the majors last year, burnett has the look of a journeyman at best and the same with waldrop. Gibson I agree on.

Kinda the same with the bats. Hicks is a legit talent, Revere will never be known for a "big" bat, though he may be a decent player. the others I dont know so well.

a "prospect" means they have high end potential, not that they have done anything in pro ball yet. By your definition of a prospect, Miguel Sano wouldn't be a prospect either, but the fact of the matter is he is probably the biggest prospect we have in our entire system. I go off of baseball america prospect handbook and what they say in there as it is pretty hard to watch the minor league games on tv up in MN. By big bats I was really meaning 'non pitchers' and I should have clarified that.

As for Slama, I'd encourage you to take a largre sample size than his 4 IP in the Majors last year. His 4 yrs in the minors he has been basically unhittable. He has a low 90s fastball and great slider and with the proper coaching (you know how Rick Anderson coaches those young Twins Pitchers on location location location), he has some serious potential. There have been plenty of big leaguers with similar "stuff" that have had extremely successful MLB careers. They just have to learn how to "pitch" and not "throw" at the major league level. Hopefully 4 years of dominating in the minors (A, AA and AAA) earns Slama more than four innings to prove himself in the majors. He deserves a legitimate chance to sink or swim, and I think he will float.

If you look at the Royals, they have by far the best minor league system in MLB. They are going to have one heck of a team in a few years. If you guys aren't familiar with some of their prospects, I suggest taking a look. It is jaw dropping how many studs they have in their system.

The Royals are going to be a monster in a couple years. Assuming they hang on to their players.

Kinda the same with the bats. Hicks is a legit talent, Revere will never be known for a "big" bat, though he may be a decent player. the others I dont know so well.

Revere will be a good outfielder in a Gary Pettis/Otis Nixon sort of way.

I'm assuming this is a lone sports writers opinion?

Highly unlikely the Royals will ever be anything more than average....it's fun to dream though and even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every now and then.

Other than butler who was good find and the players they got in the Greinke trade I don't see how they are considered the best.

Vastly improved from the worst baseball franchise there is would be more fitting in my Opinion. So I guess the law of averages could come into play here and maybe just maybe.....

Your joking right? When's the last time you looked at the their minor league system? I guess Tim Kurkjian has no idea what he is talking about either... Or anyone at Baseball America cool

By the time half those guys hit the majors, they'll be playing for different teams. Royals will be a .500 team at best.

forever? you think the royals will be a sub par team forever? they may have been a bad team for the last decade, but eventually bad teams get better and good teams get worse. over time, means regress to the norm, unless your franchise spends $200M/yr on payroll. look at all the division leaders right now... 2 years ago if you would have told me baltimore would be atop the AL east (or fighting for it), I would have told you that your crazy. looking at the AL central is the best example. It looks completely "upside down" from what many of us thought it would look like right now

if you look at any of the trade negotiations the royals have been in the last few years, they have been extremely resiliant to trade any of those top prospects, and I don't see them having a fire sale anytime soon.

you heard it here first! royals will be a threat in 2-3 years, while the twins are bound for a series of bad years eventually. we have been extremely lucky to win so many division titles over the last decade. it's the way pro sports work, teams at the bottom eventually get better b/c of draft positions and prospects.

The timberwolves are a prime example. Some may forget but they used to be good back in the late 90s and early 2000s. Then they traded garnet in 2007 and have been rebuilding ever since. Highs and lows... thats sports. Thanks for providing a great example! smile