• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

rum below anoka dam C&R right now?

I've been getting mixed responses. Is it C&R for bass/walleye right now? Cause everybody and their dog is throwing sucker minnows on braided line for crappies.

I've had the DNR tell me personally no, and then the sherriffs dept. Saying yes. So what is it?

Suckers, carp, panfish, and non-gamefish. Anyone fishing the Rum for Walleye's, Pike, or Smallies is doing so illegaly. Call Tip or a C.O.

Can't target a fish that is not in season, even if you intend to C&R. This is the 3rd bullet point on page 9 of the regs. Catfish are in season now. Maybe they are fishing for channel cats?

Water is really rocking there right now. Can't imagine there catching anything in that water. There is a pretty good crappie run there in the spring but usually it's after the water slows down a lot.

i called around yesterday to find out about using suckerminnows in this area being fished. trying to get a hold of someone to clarify, and giving the "official" answer gets frustrating. there are times i get hold of people right away and yesterday was not the day. but i left my number, and still waiting for a response.

if you read the regs, you cant intentualy target game fish "out of season". well catfish are in season all year long. i talked to one information rep of the dnr and he didn't want to give me a specific answer and passed me on to another recording. i have cought some nice smallies and a few walleys behind that dam on crappie minnows. i wasn't targeting them. i was after crappies.

these questions come up because some regs in the laws are not clear. should the regs say you cant target gamefish while not in season including using typical baits used for catfish. crawlers only? i think the law is more like using spinnerbaits prior to pike and bass season. the CO wont believe that your going after crappies. so, hopefully i get a "clear" answer today. good luck.

i don't think they can regulate what bait you use at any time of the season. lots of baits catch multi species fish. i think the general rule of thumb is if you're constantly catching fish you aren't suppose to in a particular spot, then you have to move or you'll be told to move, if any C.O. is around. it's gonna get tricky for them to prosecute you unless you were keep fish out of season.

i'm still waiting for a return call from enforcment. look-if your out on a lake prior to opener and a CO sees you throwing a spinner bait around for example, you will more than likly get a citation and that citation will hold. that would be a obvious targeting of game fish other than crappies and sunnies. using minnows in a river at this time would only get a person a citation if that person is seen keeping a fish out of season and not immediatly realeasing it. good luck.

finaly had a chance to talk to dnr enforcement regarding using sucker minnows bellow the run river spill dam. if you are after catfish it's ok to use any minnow for them. however if for an example a CO is watching and suddenly your catching walleys and bass and no cats the CO could tell you to maby change your bait or move to another location. i hope that clarifies the whole deal. good luck.

i'm still waiting for a return call from enforcment. look-if your out on a lake prior to opener and a CO sees you throwing a spinner bait around for example, you will more than likly get a citation and that citation will hold. that would be a obvious targeting of game fish other than crappies and sunnies. using minnows in a river at this time would only get a person a citation if that person is seen keeping a fish out of season and not immediatly realeasing it. good luck.

i was at that dam almost exactly a year ago with a spinner bait(picking my wife up from work and had a few minutes to burn), just throwing it around for fun not really trying or expecting to catch anything. C.O. came along on is boat and there was no way this guy missed what i was throwing. all he did was give me a smile, said hi have a good day.

do as you wish. all i can tell you is what i have found out from law enforcement. good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

i was at that dam almost exactly a year ago with a spinner bait(picking my wife up from work and had a few minutes to burn), just throwing it around for fun not really trying or expecting to catch anything. C.O. came along on is boat and there was no way this guy missed what i was throwing. all he did was give me a smile, said hi have a good day.

IMO you should have been given a warning or even a ticket.

like he said, "Hi! have a good day!"

i really don't think they can regulate what lure you use. should all the people "accidentally" catching bass while panfishing get a warning or ticket too then? what about the type of tackle you're using? should i get ticketed for catching a sunny on my heavy rod? ticketing a lure is the same thing as ticketing the rod strengh.

Commonsense dictates that you don't use spinnerbaits, unless its a beatlespin, for panfish. Just like you don't use double cow girls and 9ft xxh rods for fishing pike.

i think it would be a good idea to actualy call enforcement. they will tell you the laws and how they enforce them. i think it may clear up any question you may have regarding intentioaly targeting species out of season. good luck.

Quote:
Commonsense dictates that you don't use spinnerbaits, unless its a beatlespin, for panfish. Just like you don't use double cow girls and 9ft xxh rods for fishing pike.

Agreed, but I wish the DNR would allow for catch and release before the opener as PPG 9 states "You may not intentionally fish for any species during its closed season."

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/regulations/fishing/fishing2011.pdf

if i'm just testing a lure out to see how it swims and what kind of action it has, who's to say i'm targeting fish out of season? did i catch fish?...no. was i even trying?...no. did the c.o. see me?...YES. Did he ticket or warn me?...NO. LMB

NO. LMB

Was "LMB" necessary? Testing a large lure in a body of water that has the species it is used for should get you a ticket. You got lucky.

if i'm just testing a lure out to see how it swims and what kind of action it has, who's to say i'm targeting fish out of season? did i catch fish?...no. was i even trying?...no. did the c.o. see me?...YES. Did he ticket or warn me?...NO. LMB

Lol.

we've been tryin' cut suckers and chubs for catfish for about the last month. We backed off fishing below the Anoka dam because we were catching more game fish (wally's and pike) then we were catfish.

The problem i have is when people are down there with 1/4 oz and larger jigs with fat heads, clearly not fishing for anything that is open. I did call TIP one night when i saw this but there was also two people fishing 2 lines apiece. Hard to prove someone is targeting fish out of season but 2 lines is a given.