• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Jet Drive Motor

Does anyone know where to find good information on a jet drive motor? I'm looking for about a 40 hp to go on a jon boat. I called a few dealers around and they don't carry them. I've searched on the internet and Yamaha and Mercury both carry them. But, I'd like to talk to someone that has some experience with them and can tell me something about them.

Thanks.

Troutt and Sons is a big jet dealer in MO. I know a few cat guys that have gone down there to purchase motors and boats.

What is it you would like to know? Jets are pretty straight forward. You'll lose about 30% power and suck more gas.

I had a 50 hp yamaha on my 18ft huskey jon and it wasnt fast but it went thru some real skinny water couple things are that you will need to stay away from weeds and small gravel as these will dull the impeller and it will take power away from you.

the weeds will plug up the water pump and the discharge for the cooling and this will over heat you motor. I also had problems with real silty water plugging up the water discharge also.

My suggestion would be go as big as you legally can motor size for your boat.

or go with a surface drive motor such as a gator tail

DTRO summed it up best

Gatortails, pro-drive etc etc are the way to go, wish i had the cash to buy a nice mudboat rig, i run a 13hp beltdriven longtail on a 14' jon, i run this rig in some extremly shallow rivers with alot of rocks, really impressed with the amount of punishment the prop can take and where ive been with it. hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

Snagger,

Jets have some advantages and disadvantages... The power loss is one that is hard to get around, but doable. It is a great way to power a light flat bottom rig or even a jet tunnel rig. The newer four strokes consume less gas but are also heavier... If you can do some reasonable maintenance to the lower boot area and keep the impeller in decent shape, they will serve you well. Often times there are dealers out east that can offer used "feet" and housings. The conversion is actually a piece of cake if you are moderately mechanical at all.... IT might be worth looking on HSO-Classifieds or Craigs too.... or other used bidding sites....

Look up Outboard Jets as was suggested above,

Jet Doctor - Earnies Sales and service

OR rock proof boats

Some of the folks back east use OB jets a lot more than we do here. If you decide to upgrade though.... RiverPro is by far the way to go... Just sayin! whistlecool