• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Good book on River fishing

Hi, anyone know of a good book about fishing rivers like we have in our area? Will be targeting multiple species, mainly walleye, catfish, pike, and some sturgeon on rainy if I go. I have looked around but havent found a seemingly good read yet.

I'm not sure I would call it a "good read," but Dan Gapen has a book on fishing rivers. In fact, he might have a few of them. I'm not sure how easy they are to get a hold of, though....

• 2 weeks later...

I would break down your book selection into species related.. not river related.. basically same idea on a lake will work on a river system.. i would just get a general knowledge book of river systems that maybe key on types of structure to look for

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Fishing for Buffalo is a good book. It is about mostly rough fish but is a good read.

• 4 months later...

Dan Gapen would be the man.

If you are just getting into river fishing the best pointers I could give is. Look for eddies, Food stuff gets cought up in the eddies and the fish know it. Look for glassie areas on the surface where the water is being forced up from hitting something on the bottom. This is an area where water will be dredging the bottom and making an area where some small food stuffs will rain down on them + push the current up and over the fish letting them rest and feed at the same time. Current seem areas are good to.

The thing is look for changes in the current, areas where food will get trapped and where the water will scour the bottom and dislodge food. Always keep in mind fish will want eat and use as little energy as posable.

The Mn river has been cleaning up and the fishing is just getting better and better!

Dan Gapen is the river man for this area with no doubt.

• 2 weeks later...

Rivers are fun to learn...the highlights of my summer are often when I find new water or new fish in old water. And for what it's worth, my new favorite way to catch fish is to troll a jointed Rap right up the middle of the river...no current seems, no slack water, no rocks, no nothing. Works like a charm, and you'll catch everything from bass and walleye to muskies and catfish. God bless rivers!!

• 1 year later...

River channel cat bible is : Channel Catfish Fever: An In-Fisherman Handbook of Strategies

• 11 months later...

for a catfish book I recommend the one that Captain Brad Durick just wrote last year. it is called "Cracking the Channel Catfish Code". it is based on his research from the red river of the north but can be applied to all rivers across the country. very informative book. hopefully he will see this and jump in since he is a member on here.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• leech~~
      Nice!   It would be great if they had some kind of brake, so you don't end up on your neighbors YouTube video going down the driveway! 😆
    • SkunkedAgain
      Last month I went searching online for a trailer jack with pneumatic tires. Instead I found the video below showing a relatively quick and easy upgrade to your existing jack:     It's worked pretty well. I definitely had to mess around with finding the right combination of spacers, washers, and locknut pressure that wouldn't bind up the wheels. However, it is a pretty sweet setup and allows me much better control. We live at the end of a half-alley. My garage faces the end so when I need to hook my boat up to the truck, I have to pull it out into my driveway and then swivel it 180 degrees to face towards the street. The handle is what really makes the difference and now the trailer jack wheels don't slide on the asphalt. Has anyone else done this conversion?
    • SkunkedAgain
      I've got a pile of crawlers ready to go - a nice side benefit of all the rain in the metro lately.   At the very least, I hope that the remaining trappers are making some better money off of the higher prices. I would think that it would be a great way for local kids to make some cash. I can see why it wouldn't make for a great way to make a living as an adult.
    • Kettle
      Went out yesterday with the sunshine. I did find crappies in the shallows on a darker stained lake with Temps at 58 degrees. They had no interest in my baits
    • gimruis
      That's part of it.  Several recent years of drought have definitely played a role.   There's other factors too.  MN does not allow importation of live bait from other states either.  That really affects the amount of golden shiners available, most of which are not trapped here.  In other words, demand exceeds supply.   Lots of bait trappers and dealers have simply hung it up in recent years.  Its hard work for not much money.  The two nearest me are both done as of last October.  They both told me its just not worth it anymore.  One of them had been there for 45 years.   My advice would be to learn how to effectively fish with artificial lures more often.  I've slowly weened myself off the use of live bait nowadays.
    • smurfy
    • leech~~
      Think the Free crawlers in the back yard are going to take a hit this summer! 🤭
    • jim curlee
      Correction, rainbow minnows are at least 75 cents each, and leeches are $60 per pound. lol 
    • leech~~
      Their coming! Was poking around southern center mn last Friday and found about 20 on a hill side, all to small to pick yet.  Spots on the GPS! 🤗
    • Kettle
      Water Temps 48-52. I tried for crappies and caught two walleye. I can't even crappie fish. 1/32 ounce jig and a tiny minnow

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.