• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

All Minnesota teams are terrible

SkunkedAgain

Quote:
Star Tribune sports columnist Sid Hartman says in all his years, he doesn't remember a time when all teams in the state are terrible ... until now.

It was tough to decide a specific sports forum to put this thread in but I chose baseball because if anything, it's the one that isn't terrible. I enjoy the excitement of Twins baseball every season. The post-season leaves something to be desired but the Twins aren't terrible. All of the other major sports teams? Pretty disappointing. Sid is right on the money.

Twins are very good for the size of the organization. One of the most consistent teams as well...

Timberwolves need a name change to the Chihuahua's.

Vike's are always doing something extreme to get publicity, good or bad. They have had some decent talent in the past 10 years but as we all know they always choke.

One of the few things Sid ever got right. But I agree the Twins don't seem terrible to me so he still gets it wrong.

That is ridiculous. The twins are a great team and have been for awhile. The vikes went to the NFC championship game last season. Can't say much about the T-wolves and Wild though. Some people forget that there are around 30 teams in most professional leagues.... if you expect to have a team go deep in the playoffs every season, your never gonna be satisfied.

Sid's time has passed. I can't stand reading anything that looney old codger has to say anymore.

As far as the Twins are concerned... they are consistently good. We have one of the best managers in the game, as well as a fantastic farm system. We also have two of the top talents in the game in Mauer and Morneau(when healthy). This will be a tough year in the AL Central for sure, but the Twins will prove why they are the only team worth paying to watch in Minnesota....again.

Ted is right on!

Sid should hang it up-the guy is a complete joke on the radio.

I change the station when Sid comes on.

Some may not realize it, but without Sid Hartman, Baseball and Football may not exist in MN. Basketball was here because of him and then it left for LA. Don't Knock Sid he has done more for all sports here in MN. than any other sports writer. You may also consider his age and hope your as sharp as he is when and if you get that old.

The 1st thing I look for is Sid's column in the sport section. He may not always be right on but more often than not he provides insight and has info before anyone else. I'll take the experience of a 90 year old who still works and has been Minnesota's biggest sports booster since the 1950s over a 20 something reporter any day. Besides he has a lot of close personal friends.

20 years since the last world championship in this state, longest drought in all cities/states with teams in all 4 major sports. The Gophers? Can't even make the NIT, the football team is horrid, the hockey team misses its third straight tournament and most of you think Sid is wrong. He is dead on, get over it.

Sid is deranged, slouching into dementia, and - as usual - just plain wrong. The Twins have been at the top of their division for years, and should contend again. While 2010 was severely disappointing for the Vikings, it was one season removed from what was nearly a Super Bowl, and they have a strong nucleus. The Wild is mediocre, not terrible, and would have been a playoff team if not for a couple of horribly timed injuries to Koivu and Clutterbuck.

The Timberwolves are indeed awful, but have a good core of young talent, and with the addition of Harrison Barnes or a similar difference maker in the next draft, will be within shouting distance of a good team.

The Gophers teams, on the other hand, are just plain disappointing. Not much can be said to defend them.

Check last years farm systems records?

hardballtimes ranks the Twins system as the sixth best overall, and their top four prospects all have a very real chance to be all star caliber players. i'm hoping to see Gibson get a cup of coffee this fall...he looks like the real deal.

There is no need to defend anything. Our last championship winning team in either the NHL, NBA, NFL or MLB is about to see it's 20th anniversary. Longest drought of any city or state that has representation in the 4 major leagues. Close enough isn't what Sid is referring to, failing to win a championship is- and he is right on the money.

the thread title is "all minnesota teams are terrible.". that has been shown to be false. i don't need a world title to enjoy watching the teams, and a lack of titles doesn't make the teams terrible

Yeah you're right, lack of titles doesn't mean anything. Even though Sid was referring EXACTLY to that point. This thread was created because of a story of his- not the threads author.

You know, we can go on defending some of the MN sports teams but the Twins are the only consistently good team. The MN Wild/Vikings/Gophers...blah blah blah...if only for injuries...blah blah blah. Every team gets injuries and faces generally the same problems. The good teams win in the face of diversity. The Vikings, one "almost ran" doesn't make them a good team. Sid's title was supposed to grab your attention. It was a video so I didn't bother to watch it so he might have addressed the Twins, I don't know. Either way, he does make a good point that in general, our teams have sucked too much collectively and for too long. The old man wins.

Discarding the Twins all MN teams are horrible. Ya the Vikings made it to the NFC champ game 2 yrs ago, but thats just that 2 YRS AGO. They suck now. Wild are terrible for the amount of support they get from there fan base. The twolves well nothing needs to be said there. All the gopher teams are bad too. Oh and this injurie [PoorWordUsage] and everything about the wild is bullchit. What do you think every other team stays healthy throughout the yr? And Clutterbuck and Koivu have both been back the last few games and they still have lost them all not to mention and 8-1 loss a few nights ago. Just face it besides the Twins MN sports SUCK.

The wolves are moving in the right direction...Albiet a slow move....They have many bright spots, and the front office seems to making some very good moves. The Wild are SO dissapointing, and it seems as though they will always be that team that is right on the cusp of doing something important...As for the Gophers. well I think it's time for aq new AD!!! Their football team was suppose to make a high profile hiring for a new coach, which they did not....They should have hired Mike Leech, not KIll. Tubby has done about as much as he can with thte basketball program, hard to compete when players are leaving, getting into trouble, or back out of their scholarships. The hockey team needs to replace the coaching staff...I repect Lucia and his guys, but it's time for a change. It reminds me alot of when Craig Dahl was coaching SCSU. It seems the baseball team is the only consistant and somewhat bright spot for the Gophers. The Vikes are always the good old Vikes, and always going to let down it seems. Anyone who thinks the Twinks are bad is obviously not right in the noggin!!!

ha the wolves are moving very slowly in the right direction, maybe by 2025 they will win 30 games a year

"Tubby has done as much as he can..." Are you serious? Really? Tubby IS the problem. He has been the one to run off the players, he has been terrible in game day coaching decisions, he has a horrid offense, and then he threw his own players under the bus when they didnt perform out of position (Hoff). He got ran out of Kentucky (because he couldnt produce with a ton of talent) and it is only a matter of time before he gets run out of here.

Which brings up the point someone earlier made. Maturi is the problem. he needs to go. But I do kinda like Jerry Kill.

I agree, the MN sports landscape leaves something to be desired. No titles from the Vikes, Woofies, or Wild is pretty pathetic. Just think of the averages....4 local teams and about 30 teams in each respective league. That means 4 out of 30 years, or about every 7 years, we should have a championship. Assuming you win half and lose half of the championship games, we should be going to the championship game in some sport about every 3.5 to 4 years. That kinda puts it into perspective, eh? And that is just to be AVERAGE! Not good, but AVERAGE!

i don't ever expect the wolves to win it all.

i'm probably most disappointed with the wild. when half the league makes the playoffs, and when mn is the state of hockey, not making the playoffs just ain't gonna cut it.

the vikes will be good again, maybe next year. the nfl has shown you can be terrible one year and great the next. it happens every year. winning the super bowl has about as much to do with luck as it does with talent.

the twins are obviously a good organization. they've shown a good formula for staying competitive by developing their own talent. they've suffered from mental meltdowns in the playoffs.

the gophers are just insane. why can't they be good? i don't get it.

For those of you complaining about how bad MN sports teams are, well why don't you just go move to a state that doesn't have any pro sports teams.

The last time I checked, the Vikings played in the game to go to the superbowl 2 seasons ago. The Twins have been in the playoffs 6 of the last 10 years. The Wild have been in the playoffs 3 out of the 9 seasons of their existance including 2 of the last 4 years (including a run to the conference finals in 2003). And the timberwolves, well..... They are the timberwolves.

My point is if you are expecting a championship every season, why don't you go move to New York and cheer for those teams. The reality of a franchise is you have good years as well as bad years. You can't expect a team to win their division and make the playoffs every year. It just doesn't work like that and I feel sorry for those of you with that high of expectations. You must have a lot of letdowns in your life besides your favorite sport teams.

Wanting your home teams to win a championship every year is completely respectable. Expecting them to do so is completely unrealistic.

New York

Mets

Yankees

Jets

Nicks

Rangers

I guess maybe I could enjoy going to Mets or Rangers games, but IMO I wouldn't enjoy sports anywhere near as much as rooting for the Twins. Everything about New York sports is overrated, especially the Yankees.

One city sports champions in all 4 major sports in the last 26 years. Any guess which city that is?