• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

North Metro Cat League

Gordie

Alright guys and gals just wondering if there would be any intrest in a catfish league up this way . was kinda thinking of running it like BPCL which onsist of captins and riders. I would like to see it with boats but may be we can work in shore fishing to get more involement.

I work second shift M-F so I was thinking Sunday afternoon/evening.

just checking for intrest..

Thanks ELWOOD

Gordie it would be fun to try this for a summer and see how it goes. the only issue I see with this is that the river in this area gets really shallow and not all boats would work in this area. I for one want to take my new boat out on the river but I am scared of hitting rocks and wrecking the lower unit. I may try it if I get enough nerve up after having it on the lakes first. since I know your boat can handle the river in this area would you be willing to take me for a ride in the monti to otsego section so I can learn the depth of this area and the areas to avoid. let me know.

thats to bad i really thought there would be a good response seems like there are a lot of guys that target cats around the area to

hey gordie heres a idea. since it is only myself and mrklean and shack that would be interested why don't we just get together once a month and the 4 of us go fishing some place on the river in the area. by the way how many people can your boat hold.

hey gordie heres a idea. since it is only myself and mrklean and shack that would be interested why don't we just get together once a month and the 4 of us go fishing some place on the river in the area. by the way how many people can your boat hold.

sounds good but I think your boat would be more comfy grin

mine holds 4 easy depends on the water level thou.

Gordie,

I know my boat would be comfy but I am just scared to take it on the river in this area do to rocks. I may just be a little paranoid but I would hate to wreck my brand new boat. I would maybe do it if I had someone up front watching for rocks and helping me to stay clear of objects that could wreck the boat. I do plan to take it to horseshoe and go up the sauk river with it. I did that with my old boat and had no issues so I know I can do it with the new one. I am also planning to have it at the g2g on the minnesota river this summer. I feel the minnesota is deeper and after seeing that big fiberglass boat go by last year I know my boat would be okay on that part of the minnesota(If we did the campground again).

I'd looove to fish for more cats, but I'm a newbie...I only fish for them early in the year off the dock before walleye opens up. If anyone wants to teach me, I'll gladly pay for gas (and maybe a beer or two). smile

I'd looove to fish for more cats, but I'm a newbie...I only fish for them early in the year off the dock before walleye opens up. If anyone wants to teach me, I'll gladly pay for gas (and maybe a beer or two). smile

I see you are from the st cloud area. I plan to fish horseshoe and cedar island lake for cats this summer and would have a couple of open seats in the boat if you want to go with and learn about catfishing. I also shore fish the mississppi from monticello to otsego. I fish out of 6 different areas along this section of the river. I would be open to trying shore fishing the mississppi by SCSU or up at the sauk rapids access off hwy 15. I plan to start catfishing on April 1st since that is when the cool cats contest starts each year. send me a email and maybe we can set something up. my email address is [email protected]

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

If you have a nice boat Brad be mighty carefull or have excellent insurance. I'd never take a nice prop between Clearwater and south of Monti, but that's just me. Even if the water is way up it only takes one bolder to wreck a guys summer.

Gordie- Don't give up on this just yet. The first few years where tough for the BPCL and now we have 20 people fishing it. Give it some time and keep on promoting it.

I would like to participate in a cat league close to home, but not sure if I would be able to make it often enough. I have a 7 month old which gets alot of my free time and I'll probably be doing quite a few weekends up north this summer. If it did work out I have a boat that would survive this section of the river and would host a rider.

Gordie- Don't give up on this just yet. The first few years where tough for the BPCL and now we have 20 people fishing it. Give it some time and keep on promoting it.

thanks PG

Brad B, what time is best for catfish? Are they picking them up much during the day? They getting most of them on cutbait, or are they picking any up on nightcrawlers or chicken liver?

this time of year (Spring) the bite can go on all day long. but dont rule out the evenings for channels as for bait cut sucker,ball of crawlers and chicken liver will work very well.

If your talking ice fishin cats then minnow heads and chicken liver seem to work well.

I would like to see at least 6 boats and 6 riders to get this to take off.

the BPCL was some of the funnest fishin I did a couple of summers ago and we could make this a blast as well

Was thinking of fishin the river three differnt outings and 2-3 differnt lakes for cats just to do something differnt.

if we can get a enough response for this we can set up a meeting someplace and go over the event.

Thanks

If you have a nice boat Brad be mighty carefull or have excellent insurance. I'd never take a nice prop between Clearwater and south of Monti, but that's just me. Even if the water is way up it only takes one bolder to wreck a guys summer.

Yer too paranoid EG, all ya gotta do is stay on top of the water.

And be quick on the wheel, praying helps to, well, lots of beer helps to, should be daytime to. wink

looks like were getting a little better response now hopefully we can get a few more guys interested

Brad B, what time is best for catfish? Are they picking them up much during the day? They getting most of them on cutbait, or are they picking any up on nightcrawlers or chicken liver?

the reports I have been getting is from a guy I work with. his son fishes the monti area of the river every chance he can. he said his son has been getting them now using cut suckers for bait and going around 2 pm until dark or a little after. they have been running 3 to 5 lbs or 20 to 25 inches. I won't start fishing the river until april 1st when "king of the Cats" contest starts. Now we just need warm weather and lower water levels in someplaces.

Gordie,

if this gets off and going I would like to take part in it. the only hang up is my rotating night shift. my next month on nights will run from May 23 to June 17 so it may cut into fishing time(unless I go after work at 2AM).

I know committment is a hard thing whistle , but keep in mind that this is not really a competition. It's a continuance of a HSO gathering in a sense, with a little cash thrown in. Newbie or old timer ,the key is to HAVE FUN. Quite few are hesitant because they are new to the catfish thing or to fishing the river itself, but that's why Gordie is getting this off the ground. Both sides of the fence will learn alot. I'll attend the first meeting and will share in some of the stories of the first few years of the BPCL if that helps anyone.

Brian

Yep papagrump is right this is all about haveing fun and meeting new fishin buddys and learning about the river along with a few lakes in our area.

The money thing is just a bonus as far as I'm concerned and for me its all about bragging rights for a year until the next one.

BTW riverdog takes lots of prayer to get you thru the shallows any where wink and a jet doesnt hurt either

i think doin it sunday would get more people into it since its not a week night and you guys that work nights its in your schedule to i would think

i think doin it sunday would get more people into it since its not a week night and you guys that work nights its in your schedule to i would think

I agree about doing on the weekend but for me if it was on sundays I couldn't do it then do to the fact I have no one to watch the kids. if it was on saturdays and only once or twice a month then I would jump at doing this.

Gordie what are you thinking for dates for this. May be you should put together a meeting of everyone interested and see if we as a group could make this work for everyone that wants to take part in it.

I will have to figure out some dates and figure a meeting time and I think I gotta place to meet. I will try and get it ready before next weekend