• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Is it safe to talk Hall of Fame.

croixflats

Looks like Chris Carter got snubbed again along with Chris Doleman. I thought Carter would be in for sure this year. What did this guy do to get treated like this. Carter ended his career ranked second in all-time receptions and touchdowns.

I believe a lot of it was the attitude he had. If he had a Super Bowl win it may have changed the outcome to a degree. Same thing will happen to Moss. Why didn't Tim Brown get in yet is another good question.

The HOF is not just about numbers.

If it doesn’t happen next year, 2013 is not looking to promising either. Several big names eligible that year too. Deion Sanders should provide an interesting induction speech. Curtis martin had a pretty solid career but maybe knocking on the doors for awhile as well. Richard Dent was long over due. A dominate force in his era.

I don't remember any attitude he had. I remember him being very competitive and helpful to other players around him. Not trying to be argumentative here and you are right its much more than a numbers thing. Its political. Why else would Irvine a known drug user in his career be inducted his first year of being eligible while Carter sits not even being on the ballot of choices his second year.

I can see it now Carter still sitting there watching Vick being inducted his first year because he is a reformed criminal.

Bad attitude may have been the wrong wording. Political may be too. HOF is about all time greats and along with that is Championships. Out of the thirteen Vikings that are in the HOF , six have more than ten years on the team. The rest less than that. There hasn’t been a current Vikings since 2000 inducted. Is Carter worthy of it? Yes, but not being a champion will hurt his chances as it will with Tim Brown and Curtis Martin.

HOF

He had some attitude problems before coming to Minnesota and then he settled down. Too bad Moss never grew out of his childishness.

Being all time great may have some to do with it. But I think some of it has to do with what the player has done for the game while being a player and after his playing days are done. Though if we fallow those criteria it does not explain Dion Sanders being inducted this year. grin Having a big mouth and an ego the size of Dallas stadium must help.

The Eagles were more than happy to get rid of him... He was known as a cancer on the team... he became a 'better' team player after coming to MN.

The journalists do not care for him as he was always a pain to deal with as far as interviews... and ironically they are the one's whom need to vote him in... and even more irony is that he is now a 'journalist'... as a commentator.

Is he deserving? You bet. But, I think more so than the lack of SB rings is the ringing still in reporter's ears, the likes of Reusse whom have not much endearing things to say about Carter...

I don't remember any attitude he had. I remember him being very competitive and helpful to other players around him. Not trying to be argumentative here and you are right its much more than a numbers thing. Its political. Why else would Irvine a known drug user in his career be inducted his first year of being eligible while Carter sits not even being on the ballot of choices his second year.

I can see it now Carter still sitting there watching Vick being inducted his first year because he is a reformed criminal.

Carter had a terrible attitude and was, himself, a drug abuser while in the Eagles organization. He came from a very checkered past and then cleaned himself up in Minnesota. His later years in Minnesota is when his ego and mouth started getting him "raised eyebrows" from local and national media.

So he waits......

Deion also has two rings. He was a very good cover corner but not the best at tackling. Good at returning and also had some offensive stats.

He was good no argument there. To me if one is to get into the HOF he should be better than good. He is the most over rated player I can think of with the most hype surrounding him.. smirk

driving back on Sunday from an ice fishing trip, this topic was discussed at length on the NFL station on sirius. They went back and forth about all the candidates that made and didn't make it. They all agreed that if you don't have a superbowl ring, the odds are really stacked against you. Andre Reed is a name the brought up, he ruled the AFC those seasons when the bills just couldn't win the superbowl, as they said he was 3' wide right away from the HOF. If the driving force is a superbowl ring, there are a lot of worthy players that will never get in.

His later years in Minnesota is when his ego and mouth started getting him "raised eyebrows" from local and national media.

In the case of Carter, it would be "raised eyebrow". smile

Being a Packer fan I guess you could say I'm a little more objective than some of you and I think Carter belongs in the HOF. But then I watched him for years making catches against the Packers.

Calling Sanders a very good cover guy is a huge understatment. He is the epitome of shutdown cornerbacks. As far as tackling goes, you don't have to tackle if your guy never gets a ball thrown his way. He basically eliminated any chance the QB was going to thrown to his 1/3 of the field. Must be nice to call defensive plays when he elimates that much of a teams offensive.

A guy can have a huge ego if you back it up on the field. If you were to ask guys he covered, I bet they would say he backed it up.

"All he does is catch touchdowns." - Buddy Ryan

Carter credited Buddy with turning his life around by cutting him over drug issues.

I think he should be in. He caught 835 passes in the '90's. Just 25 less than Jerry Rice.

A guy can have a huge ego if you back it up on the field.

Dizzy Dean would have agreed with you 100 percent, and he was right.

Calling Sanders a very good cover guy is a huge understatment. He is the epitome of shutdown cornerbacks. As far as tackling goes, you don't have to tackle if your guy never gets a ball thrown his way. He basically eliminated any chance the QB was going to thrown to his 1/3 of the field. Must be nice to call defensive plays when he elimates that much of a teams offensive.
That sounded just like all the hype talked around him. Funny how we all remember things differently. I remember teams going right at him and being successful. Vikings were one of those teams that went at him with success. He was good no doubt about it but first year nominated no. He got in because of his mouth and arrogance, sure was not for being a team player or someone that would lay it on the line for his teammates. It was all about him and no one else. Am, I judging on his character faults maybe a little but he just is not first year worthy if you judge only on his play on the field.

Sorry about that went of on my own tangent there. Did not mean to disrespect your opinion foulpole18.

No problem croix. Everyone's allowed an opinion. As far as being in for the team, I think that idea died a long time ago. Most pro athletes are on it for themselves. Especially players in the NFL and NBA.

Being a Packer fan I guess you could say I'm a little more objective than some of you and I think Carter belongs in the HOF.

I too am a Packer fan and as I said I believe he belongs in HOF, I think most Packer fans would agree as we know good football play when we see it! grin

Good Luck!

Ken

The whole process for getting elected is odd. Richard Dent for example. He was just as deserving of selection eight years ago or whatever it was when he was first eligible as he is today but only due to quotas did it take this long. If they are deserving there shouldn't be a limit.

I think he deserves to be in the HOF, but there is just a huge backlog of people deserving to get in that I don't think you can put it on "politics"

there's players, coaches, other contributors... lots of guys that on their own I would say "oh they are a lock" - well guess what, there are a lot of deserving guys

2013: O-guard Larry Allen, tackle Jonathan Ogden, defensive tackle Warren Sapp, defensive end Michael Strahan and kicker Morten Anderson.

2014 : Linebacker Derrick Brooks, receiver Marvin Harrison, running back Shaun Alexander, safety Rodney Harrison and coaches Tony Dungy, Mike Holmgren and John Gruden.

Tim Brown, Andre Reed, Willie Roaf, Jerome Bettis from this year?

I think he deserves to be in the HOF, but there is just a huge backlog of people deserving to get in that I don't think you can put it on "politics"

there's players, coaches, other contributors... lots of guys that on their own I would say "oh they are a lock" - well guess what, there are a lot of deserving guys

2013: O-guard Larry Allen, tackle Jonathan Ogden, defensive tackle Warren Sapp, defensive end Michael Strahan and kicker Morten Anderson.

2014 : Linebacker Derrick Brooks, receiver Marvin Harrison, running back Shaun Alexander, safety Rodney Harrison and coaches Tony Dungy, Mike Holmgren and John Gruden.

Tim Brown, Andre Reed, Willie Roaf, Jerome Bettis from this year?

x2

• 11 months later...

2012 electees include

Curtis Martin

Cortez Kennedy

20120130__120131doleman_300.jpg

Chris Doleman

Dermontti Dawson

Willie Roaf

The Bus is still waiting, as is CC. The "experts" last year talked about WR being undervalued and too many players taking votes from each other, i.e. Carter, Reed, Brown.

Only two receivers had a better 8 year, prime of their career run: Jerry Rice and Marvin Harrison. Rice caught balls from two HOFers, Montana and Young, Harrison caught balls from future HOFer P. Manning, and Carter caught passes from 7 QBs, the only HOFer being Warren Moon at the end of his career. Pretty durable dude. I would take him over Tim Brown and Andre Reed any day, he shouldn't be losing votes to those two.

Pretty much been stated already. Giant pita on the sideline and to reporters. Getting his due now. Another conspiracy theory centers around Sid. Rubbed writers across the country the wrong way repeatedly making them reluctant to vote in any Viking.

It shouldn't surprise me that a conspiracy theory about Sid overstates his importance as much as the octogenarian reporter does.

I don't deny Carter can't keep his foot out of his mouth. See his 2011 criticism of Cal Johnson.

• 11 months later...