• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Depth Finders

nate larson

Question

I am looking to buy a Humminbird depth-finder and I was wondering if anyone could comment if they currently own one and how it has worked fot them. (200DX,300TX,400TX,
Paramount) How well do the fish locators work on these models and have you had any problems with them. Anything else you could tell me would be most appreciated.

Thanks for the help!!

10 answers to this question

If I were you I would look into Garmin either a 100 or 160. What you get for the money is way better than a Hummingbird, Eagle, or anyone else when it comes to a Liquid Crystal at a moderate price. I have worked the last two years in Fishing Retail and Garmin is simply the superiour value, no if and's or buts. More pixels, power, and features less money.

Nate, I totally agree with Basspastor. Dollor for dollar, feature for feature, Garmin is 2 to 1 ahead of everyone is in fishfinders and GPS. Just my .02

I also agree with the statement about the Garmin depthfinders. However, they are absolutely, positively, without a doubt not superior GPS units (although they are good units). Also my .02.

Hi Nate, this is just my opinion, never
buy a hummingbird, they are junk!!.. smile.gif
Go with the Garmin, they are much better for the money.

------------------

Ace guide service.
[email protected]
www.aceguideservice.com
1-888-ACE-0588

Nate, I have a Garmin 160 and I am really very happy with it. It's a tough unit (I rigged it up last winter for ice fishing and it toke all cold weather, beating etc.).
One nice thing I like is the flasher option that displays on the side of the screen, so you have better understanding on what's below you. As per display, it's very detailed and precise. I recently bought a Humminbird NS25 with GPS, I haven't tried it yet, but I'll rig my Garmin next to it.

Thanks everyone for your help! The reason I was looking to buy a hummingbird was because my dad had an opportunity to buy a factory reconditioned one for about half price. But after hearing your responses I am considering buying a Garmin instead. How much does a Garmin 160 cost?
Thanks Again
NaTe LaRsOn

In my own defense, I just purchased a humminbird 128 wide portable from galyans and like it so far. Granted, when I purchased this unit, I new I wasn't buying the best, in fact, I just wanted something cheap for my canoe and rentals. For $119, I don't think it was a bad deal. But, If your mounting a permenant, there is some good advice on this page.

Seabass77, I didn't mena to offend you with your purchase, definitely for the money you spent that is a good finder. It's just like everything else, you can always find better....but it cost more money.
From my Garmin, if I doubled money I could have bought a Lowrance x85, but that's double the cost. Everybody has a budget and we have to stick with it (at least I have to...)