• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

It's kind of quiet here. Anyone been out spearing?

MJ1657

In the past, I've gotten some really skinny long ones and some short fat ones.That is part of the fun of pike hunting.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MJ1657

• Laska

• Mcfin

• Gordie

Top Posters In This Topic

I speared a 32 last year that looked like it could have eaten alot of the other fish I have seen that length. It does make it interesting.

well boys I got a couple of good leads on good lakes here in ND to try. gonna go out on juanita lake and Sibley Lake south of Binford this weekend. I am thinkin Sibley is gonna be good. That lake is full of norskis and has never been speared. rarely fished. I remember 2 years ago I couldn't keep the 8 to 15pounders off my line. laughlaugh ooohhh! I'm gettin exited just thinkin about it! I'll keep u posted.

Got a suprise birthday gift in the mail from one of my sons today.A genuine handcrafted Laska spearing decoy. Now with my new decoy and new spear, those toothy critters won't have a chance.

Yes but I heard you have been cheating and using hand carved decoys.

Happy Birthday McFin - now you can cheat too. You've got no excuses for not getting the big one!

Had 3 dogs over 30" come in one day a few years ago and speared each one. They provided a good tussle on the end of a spear, but the meat couldn't be used for anything - even pickles. Never will spear one again. Cool fish, the meat was orange like salmon, but too soft. I did fry up a tail piece, but it was tasteless. In the south they call them Calico bass I believe, and they do eat them.

Today I hit another new lake and found the clarity lacking beyond about 6 feet down. Managed to spear two 24" pike, and saw 3 others. The highlight was catching a 27.5" fat walleye on a tip up and sucker. She was the biggest walleye I have caught since moving to the suburbs from Grand Marais over 11 years ago!

So far I have speared 11 different lakes, including 4 new lakes. Even on the familiar lakes, I have hit new spots over 60% of the time in 25 separate outings.

McFin,

Today D.A.E speared 3 northerns then Eggo speared 2 northerns in their hotspot north of Brainerd. An eagle came down and tried to steal one of Eggos fish.

Kind of miss spearing over there.

I had a better day today than yesterday. I had two pike coming after a little red and white decoy at the same time this afternoon. They both went after it several times.

• 2 weeks later...

Deer hunting is my favorite thing until spearing starts. If you haven't speared you should try it. I've had some very good days in the spear house this year. Some days I've seen over 20 northerns,40 sunfish,10 bass, and a few perch. It's hard to take my grandkids with though, because I have to travel to a different lake then where I stay because of slot limits.

Welcome to the board Crenglund and Spike. It sounds like both of you have had some nice days spearing this year.

I'm going to spend the last two days of the season in my shack and see what happens.

My son was still signed in when I posted the 49 northerns. He couldn't sit that long. That was a great couple of days though. Spike is for all the spikes I've shot through the years. The spearing was north of Brainerd.

Welcome to the HSO family crenglund and Spike76

This is a great place for info and these guys on hear are among the best I have met and they have some great info to share.

hope to see ya at a GTG soon...

Welcome crenglund. I know what lake you were spearing but I will keep the secret if you do. Some day in the future I may get up to that lake , Lord willing.

Hey Spike, I saw 4 northerns yeasterday and thought it was a good day. Some days I'm lucky I don't fall asleep and fall into the hole.

I speared 15 different lakes this season, including 5 new ones where several good spots have been located. One of the highlights for me was getting out with my wife on a day the fish were moving so she could take a few pictures. In the one below you can see a nice pike in the upper right corner swimming through.

SpearFishing2011005.jpg

A friend and I were out this morning in separate houses. He saw the dogs today (three dogfish came through for him) and he had 10 carp on the ice when I left him.

I set a personal best of 14 speared carp in one morning today. I left the northers alone (had two come in). The carp are going in the deep freeze. I will smoke two of the smallest ones and plant the others for the garden for the best fertilizer around!

009.jpg