• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

It's kind of quiet here. Anyone been out spearing?

MJ1657

I pulled my house off the lake when it got warm so it would'nt freeze in. I fished tip ups for a couple of days instead. I plan on getting it back out tomorrow or monday.

Anyone else been spearing and having any luck?

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MJ1657

• Laska

• Mcfin

• Gordie

Top Posters In This Topic

I pulled mine too the other day, just set it back up this morning. Didn't spear, just cut the hole and set up the house. I will probably try it in the morning.

During the rain I pulled the snow away from my house and made sure it was blocked up well. Just got back in from banking it with snow and chiseling out the hole. Nearly three inches of 'new' ice in the hole. I won't be making it out to spear tomorrow, chasing roosters on the last day of their season. Hopefully I'll make it out spearing next week.

I was heading to my spear house today, but got stuck on the way, and it was drifting in fast, I didn't want to get stranded to once I got un stuck, I headed home. I don't mind a little snow, but this wind can quit any time now.

mj are u planning on going out tomorrow? and if yes where?

Im not going to make it out tomorrow. I was thinking about going out on green on monday.

I was out this afternoon. I tried a new lake that looked promising last fall. Once I set-up, I realized that visibilty was horrible. Another swing and a miss...

Ps That wind was chilllly!

I was out this afternoon. I tried a new lake that looked promising last fall. Once I set-up, I realized that visibilty was horrible. Another swing and a miss...

Ps That wind was chilllly!

I hate when that happens!

want to go monday but dont know, might hit up 3rd river next weekend spearing and possibly trying out some new ice rods Im building this week...

i got a house out on sakata today. all the snow didnt melt out there though where there is still snow it is a bit slushy but it will freeze eventually.

speared this afternoon. saw nothing.

Rainy Lake was a mess today.

They got a ton of snow in the last coupla days.

We went out of Sha Sha and speared Black Bay.

No ice roads plowed out there yet.

It was tough going with up to 2 1/2 ft snow drifts, 4 to 6 inches of slush under the snow. 5 inches of clear ice with 5 inches of white ice.

The nice thing was that we were the only (dumb, crazy... umm... ummm) dedicated ones out there! smile

Of course the Nord Lord showed me up today.

2-0 so far after today. (2 nice fat eaters ~24"ers)

We will be out early in the morning to continue the fun.

Will post pics later.

-Merk

i was up north for a week. It was a slow year for us, slower then it has ever been! Best part was just being there for a week and enjoying the spearing shake

enjoying the spearing shake

I almost hate to ask, but, is that some sort of dance you do to attract the fish? I can picture you in your house doing the twist. laugh

enjoying the spearing shake

I cannt do it grin I'll be nice BNS I promise wink

Saw a whole lot of nothing todaoy but I had a great time lots of laughs and lots of laughs

Thanks merkman and tell DADEIO and Shirley thanks again for me... I will return to Rainy Lake and next time dont mention my name so loud laugh

I will try and get some pics up in the morning

HEY LASKA, i'd call up there before you go. i got first hand reports its pretty ugly up there right now. i cancelled our trip to highbanks on winnie because of the weather. from thurs being able ti drive anywhere on the lake to friday only snowmobiles gettin out and on smaller lakes LOTZ of snow and slush.

Yep Glen is so right travel on the lakes up north are not easy going by anymeans of transportation tracked vehicles are the way to go now.

Hers a few picks of the lake merk and I were on and it was a lot of work to get anywhere with this rig We got wet feet,stuck frozen fingers, wet feet, froze up wheels did I mention wet feet grin but I cant wait to get back out and look down the spear hole

Merks feet

full-15313-4716-img00116_20110102_09021.

full-15313-4717-img00117_20110102_09031.

full-15313-4718-img00119_20110102_09041.

That is what the southern part of the state looked like the last few weeks...Now we have ice like you've been enjoying the last few weeks...

Ya need some rain/warm weather grin and hip boots!

I speared from about noon to 3 today. The lake has really cleared up since the last time I was out. Could see bottom at 8 foot no problem today. The pike were very weary, had several stop at the edge of the hole only to turn around and leave. I did manage a pair of hammer handles for the buddies pickle jar, and saw and speared my first carp of the season. Within the next couple of weeks I hope to move my house to the other side of the lake where I have better luck with the carp. Also saw many bass today. I tried to take some pics to share, but must have had my trigger speed set too slow as they all turned out too blurry.

Ive had more outside the hole than usual this year also, Im going to start taking angle shots than passing, I have confidence with my spear its either getting stuck of Im missing it aint coming off... Unless the monster comes in... then it has to be in the hole.

the tracks in that picture are way different than mine. we have 4 independent tracks like merkman has on his side by side.

the tracks are great in the slush. i can go anywhere i want. untill you stop to fish and they freeze up tight. then what? you tell me.

they have there place. we pulled a snomobile traler on lake gogebec 2 years ago with 4 otters and 3 men and there gear on it in 2 feet of snow.

elwood, how do thoes tracks work in the slush and snow?

we have great ice here now the rain melted everything and refroze, its like a skating rink. 2 weeks ago i said my truck wouldnt go on the lake this year. now i think i will be driving out next week.

good luck

Thats merkmans dads rig it works ok but no so ok in the slush and we did push it and dig it out a few times with out it being 4wd we would of not got anywhere even with the skis he has it still didnt go thru the snow as good as i though it would.

but it does add the floatation just enough to get you going and they are the same stop for awhile and everything freezes up.

I saw a video of a honda three wheeler with tracks in the back and the wheel up front and I think that I could build a skior skis for the front and tracks in the back and it would go really good over the snow cause its so light but I will hopefully have this by next year

merkman,

Nice meeting you this weekend...you guys end up with any more fish? Conditions are pretty discouraging up here, I'm afraid it will be this way for quite a while.

We managed a 30" and saw a few others...including a gimme shot at the biggest fish dad or I have ever seen while spearing. After she went by everything shut down...I'm hoping to battle her on hook and line so she can pose for a picture grin

Thats merkmans dads rig it works ok but no so ok in the slush and we did push it and dig it out a few times with out it being 4wd we would of not got anywhere even with the skis he has it still didnt go thru the snow as good as i though it would.

Yea fish and fowl I was hope ing to come over and chat with ya but was busy diggin out. hope to chat a while next time up. Glad to here that you guys got one and seeing a monster is so worth watching