• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

It's kind of quiet here. Anyone been out spearing?

MJ1657

well email sent back haha.

Looks like it'll be another 2 weeks before I spear again.... O well back to carving I guess. Has everyone been getting the numbers of pike they did last year or how is everyone doing? I notice the pike on fish lake were growing there teeth back in that may be why they were so fast and aggressive....

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MJ1657

• Laska

• Mcfin

• Gordie

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been a little slower this year compared to last for me.

I tweaked my neck yesterday so i'm taking a couple days off from the shack. Should be able to get back at it tomorrow.

Went out this morning,seen 4,only threw at the 28.5" one I got.Two days ago,friend of mine used my shack,seen 17,speared his limit,and caught his limit of sunnies in less than 3 hrs.All 3 decent pike.Saturday,while I was up losing at the Brainerd Jaycees fishing contest,my other buddy saw 14 out of my shack,speared 3,caught 9 nice gills as well.I went Sunday morning,1 snake.

It is not slow at my shack this year,at least not for everyone else that uses it!

I did see the biggest Largemouth I have ever seen in Minnesota cruise through my hole this morning.I have caught em over 5lbs before,and this thing dwarfs all of those.I'll be looking for him this summer for sure.

No matter where I go I see fish so its hard to say how Im doing I have 7 in the freezer and my record is 9. I try not to spear every pike I see so I can enjoy some the next time I go. But my decoys must be working because I will say I have seen alot more fish this year than last year.

I let most of them go as well.I have 8 frozen for the smoker,and I dont plan on throwing at anything too small the rest of this year.the only reason I threw at the one this morning is because it insisted on sitting well off to the side of my hole,and I love a challenging throw.

I am actually waiting for the big one to come through.After all of my years of fishing,I have never kept any big northern,or caught/speared 1 big enough for the wall.

In my opinion, it is best for the fishery to keep mostly smaller or mid size pike,allowing the larger ones to spawn out.besides,they are a blast to catch in the summer too.

You guys might wanna check to see if your over the possion limit with all those pike in the freezer wink

Heidi n I plus I just ate one there ya happy! grincool

There's a possession limit?since when?

just kidn-my twin boys go along with me sometimes,so its all good!I'm way too ligit to quit!

The archery sniper and I sat in my house and only had two come by and look today. At least we got all of the worlds problems solved. grin

gdog and his boys had a little better luck.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a little better.

They got one.

No I have not moved. Today was slow but I seen a few yesterday and a couple were nice fish.

Think it was a little slow all over today.I fished pelican this morning,only 1 flag,and 0 fish.No one around me caught any either.Went to my spear shack this afternoon,seen 4,all smaller.Speared 1 27" pike.He shouldn't have killed my decoy!Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

Did really well on pelican for pannies this evening and I think that i will try and spear the same spot in the morning

Mike- Great meeting you today. And thanks for the tip on cutting the hole! Funny to still be learning about this sport after doing it for 30 years. That lake is a good find and only 45 minutes from lake to my door. I will let you know about this weekend.

Elwood- What is the visibility like on Pelican? Good to hear that the panfish bite has not slowed down.

Mike- Great meeting you today. And thanks for the tip on cutting the hole! Funny to still be learning about this sport after doing it for 30 years. That lake is a good find and only 45 minutes from lake to my door. I will let you know about this weekend.

Elwood- What is the visibility like on Pelican? Good to hear that the panfish bite has not slowed down.

Glad you and the boys had a good time.

Laska where I have been and were I will be tomorrow. Thanks gdog for opening a hole now all I need is the chisel in the morning.

We have one house out on pelican.it is in 8ft of water.where we are,you cant see the decoy when its on the bottom,but you can see down about 6ft.The panfish were biting good,as of yesterday anyhow.

Had a decent day today. The only way I could get them to come in was to jig my decoy very agressively. Good part was once they showed up they wanted the artificial and I could get them to hang out.

I had two in the hole at once today. That was kind of fun.

My buddies brother was out spearing this month on a nearby lake and shot this footage.

[Note from admin: Your post has been edited. Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

Wow that's a huge fish I think I would need some clean shorts after that.

Cool!!!

I reposted in the spearing pics section.

I was on Pelican yesturday and was in about 7 fow can see down about 4 foot and ended up with a 26 incher and I had one skirt the out side edge of the hole around 10-12lbs nice fish but wouldnt come in musta been full.

we also got a bunch of pannies also