• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I was out on a small local lake this past Wed. and there was ankle deep slush along the shoreline.

I imagine this 12-14" of snow we got in the last 2 days is gonna make for some horrible conditions on area lakes.

I think the only way to get out on the smaller area lakes will be via snowmobile.

Anyone else been out since the snow?

Brian

I have a Ski-doo Tundra. It is light weight and long track, ideal for fishing. I got it so buried on a lake today that I really doubt I will be doing much fishing on any lakes soon. The slush was so deep and the snow so heavy on top of the slush that I about just left it sit. I can't imagine anyone getting a full size trail sled stuck and getting it out alone, but I bet there are lots of guys digging their sleds off area lakes right now.

+1. I just got reports of horror stories on several smaller area lakes. This last system ruined what spotty ice we had. Slush & water up to 2 feet deep. Very depressing!

are lakes in the area still drivable with a 4x4 truck or is snowmobile just about the only option.

are lakes in the area still drivable with a 4x4 truck or is snowmobile just about the only option.
In some cases, a snowmobile is not really and option either.

• 2 weeks later...

SOOOO, are lake conditions improving? looking like from today all the way thru the weekend of the 22nd of jan its going to be a real cold spell up there. should help if ya can deal with the cold.

Still alot of slush out there and for the most part people are sticking to traveled areas and not venturing out on their own.

Brian

thanks brian! i'm plannin on coming up sometime when it warms a tad to plow out and fish. maybe 2nd weekend in feb. last time this senerio happened it took us 17 man hours to get cleaned out. mad

from what i am seeing and hearing plowedroads are on lakes like winnie or leech, upper red and LOTW's. small lakes snowmobile is the only means of travel AND ya still need to be careful of slush. as one resort put it "off plowe roads travel is not feasable". this cold snap should help! hope this helps!

thanks glenn. staying on sand lake at the end of the month never been there before any info helps thanks. does bowstring, sand or jessie have any plowed roads?

wow, your close to us. we have a place on peterson lake by spring lake store. if any of those lakes have plowed roads there done by private individuals. i have been on bowstring and jessie and the only roads i've ever seen where made without plows. be careful on sand, especially if ya head towards little sand i know theres some moving water that way.

any of those lakes producing any fish? I do have a snowmobile that we will be bring up. hopefully the cold snap helps with the lake condions.

that i cant help ya with as i personally havent been up that way since the 3rd weekend in dec. my next chance is the 2nd weekend in feb. sorry. you could try callin one of the bait shops in deer river for that info.

I went out with a guy to Moose today to try and get a road to my fish house. He has a V plow. We barely made a dent in that slush and snow. What miserable lake conditions. Looks like I'll block the thing up and wait until March. Wonder if the DNR gives fish house removal extensions like the IRS gives tax filing extensions...

doctor J, you'll be ok.

sorry I couldnt help you, but you saw first hand just what I'd be dealing with.

just get it up on blocks and when the snow melts down, you'll be able to drive right up to it and haul it away.

all is not lost.

Heading up to the area at the end of the month to try to fish Bowstring or Sand. Talked to two resorts, one on Sand and one on Bowstring and they said it is almost impossible to fish because of the amount of snow on the lakes. We will be staying on Sand. Wondering if our best chance would be to walk out 100 feet from the shore and fish? We will be making a long haul to get to Deer River so wondering if it is even worth it to bring all of our gear including a snowmobile. Thanks for any info.

I doubt if either one of those lakes will have a road on them, maybe a goat trail at best. Winnie has plowed roads that are kept open so keep that in mind. Also Red lake is only another 1.5 hours away and has maintained roads too. I think Cass Lake and Leech Lake should have some resorts plowing roads too.

As for the smaller lakes, it will be a tough year to ice fish them.

Brian

Thanks for the reassurance, Jigglestick. It is awful out there! First year I put a big house out on a lake and we get the winter from hell. 0 degrees and we were spraying water over the hood on the windshield, and dealing with a half foot of water under all that snow.

welcome to my world.

come hop in the passenger seat in my plow truck for a day. it will give you a whole new outlook on things.

remember the snowmobile trick. and also remember, don't panic. in fact I'd recomend fishing in the house. the more traffic to the house even if it's on foot, the better the area around it will freeze down.

get some snow shoes and do a little yhetti stomping around the house. it's all in a good time!

Go to LOW, plowed roads and the fish bite. I don't even mess around on area lakes right now since I buried snowmobiles several times a few weeks ago. Nothing worse than a sled stuck in slush and you're by yourself.

so these small lakes are still that bad? OUCH! hope things stiffen up by 2nd weekend in feb. and really that much snow on the lake to make snowmobile travel tough also???

get some snow shoes and do a little yhetti stomping around the house. it's all in a good time!

Yep, that's what I did Sunday morning. Snowshoed out and flatened a 12'x12' area for my portable for the afternoon-evening bite. It froze into a nice solid platform for staying on top of the slush.

It has been cold up here all month, so this little snap we are seeing right now will have no effect on the slush. Getting out and stomping a shelter spot down is a great idea.

Ok, I will change my view on the lake slush. Was out last eve. checking things out and conditions on the smaller lakes I was on are much improved. Nothing you want to drive a truck out on but sledding will be fine.

i rather doubt bowstring has plowed roads on the lake. normally gotta follow the tracks of the last guy out.

i'd be interested on lake conditions also!!!!

Bowstring Shores 218-832-3101 the last couple years plowed roads out to houses they rented, you could pay to go on. Don't know if they are doing it this year with at the snow.