• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Binoculars?

Code-Man

So I got a gift card from my dad for Scheels and I decided I was finally going to get a pair of binoculars that would be impressed with but not break the bank. I looked at a few but the salesmen pretty much suggested on pair of binoculars and they were 350+ dollars. Granted they were really nice I was hoping 150-250 dollar price range. I bow hunt about 80-85% of the time so don't need to see 1 mile but would like to get a pair that wouldn't be 20 lbs hanging around my neck.

Does anyone have some suggestions or recommendations? I do like the smaller styles and granted I know they cost a few more then the bigger ones but 350 dollars for a pair of binoculars? I would really like 150-250 dollar range and brand is not a big deal I'm just looking for something to start looking at.

Thanks

The first name I will throw out is Nikon, I only have one decent set of binocs BURRIS which came with my scope but they are cheaper than the level you are talking about. I have drooled over a few sets of light weight Nikons, but I don't get out chasing coyotes or deer as much as I used to or need to........

I like my Leupold Cascades. Don't recall what I paid for them though. One thing I will say is that when it comes to optics, you do get what you pay for. When I was searching for mine I was told that you won't find much quality in anything below about $300.

save it add some money to it and get a pair of Zeiss you will not be disapointed ,every time you use em you will say its the best money i ever spent, take youre time and get the best quality you can afford!

I have a pair of Nikon Monarchs 10x42. I think I paid aroind 300$ for them. I've tried the Leopold that are around the same price range. I like these ones more because they had a wider feild veiw. The Monarch's has a 6 degree where the leopolds's has a 5.1 degree range. It makes a big difference when your looking at field with deer 400 yards away.

I've heard good things about Meopta. There around 500$. I heard nothing but good things about them.

I have some Wind River(Leupold import) Cascades 10x42 and I paid around $279 for them. That was ten years ago though. They are a very respectable set of binocs. Once you have a good set you will be surpised how often you use them..I use mine bowhunting, rifle hunting, pretty much when ever I'm outside.

I have the Nikon Monarchs as well. I found a deal online for about $279. You can save a good chunk of money ordering on line, instead of buying in the store. I think in this case I saved 50 bucks. And they're not huge and bulky either. I love mine. If you lived closer to the cities I'd consider selling them to you. I'm a little short for the house payment after the holidays.

I just bought a pair of Camo Nikon Monarchs 10x42 at g-mountain for $279. They are not bulky and they are pretty light.

scheels does make a bino very similar to the nikons and leupolds discussed above. kick in the extra buck and buy a good set. you will not be dissapointed, even if they are just for bowhunting. I will not go in the woods without a good pair.

I have the NIKON monarch 10x42 and in ten years NIKON has fixed them three times now no questions asked. I wear them everywhere including crawling on stalks, hanging stands you name it. I am hard on them and the optics have never failed or fogged up inside. I was given a of monarch x 10x42 to use while mine were being fixed this winter and I was happy to have mine back. The monarch x series was not worth the price difference in my opinion. I would really suggest the NIKON monarch.

I have a pair of Cabella's 8x42 Alaskan binocs and I love them. They ran me about $500 but they are a night and day difference to the $150 binocs. I will never go back to the cheap ones again - although these will last me forever so I won't need to.

I was looking at getting a pair of the nikon monarchs in the 12x42. I've read that the 12x magnification will appear to be shaky if you are not using a tripod. Can anyone attest to this? Should I just go with the 10x magnification?

If money was no object, I'd buy a pair of Steiners or Zeiss.

But it is.

For compacts, I run with a Nikon ProStaff 12x25. Waterproof, very sharp and clear, about $150, and excellent for the all-around use I need. I have no issues with shakiness at 12x, but I'm used to holding a heavy camera and long lenses steady. With proper technique, the handheld 12x Nikons work well for me.

I really like Nikon products but I have a set of Buschnell Bino's I had picked up at that R store in Walker if I remember correctly I paid about 80.00. I mostly use these for bow hunting as they are light weight and fit well. They are 10x42 honestly I have never been much of a buschnell fan for most part they can be cheap but the set I picked up have really surprised me and are durable and still clear after a few seasons now and even took them out on a muley hunt this fall so mabey they're making better products now or I have been lucky with this pair just my 2c

I'm not an expert, but as I know it, the biggest difference between binoculars, is what you can see in low light conditions. The better ones draw more light.

If you're buying them at a big box store, go right at sundown, and ask them if you can take a couple outside to compare. You can give them your license or something to hold.

The store I was at let me walk out into the parking lot and look around. There's a fairly big difference that you notice in low light, that you won't notice inside a well lit store.

Most of my use outside of baseball games, is hunting/scouting deer, and I like to have them for first light, and last night conditions.

There's a place over by my house where I go watch deer feed in the evenings. I used to use the cheap Bushnell, and now my Nikon Monarch. There's really no comparison. There are times when I can't see very well with the naked eye because it's getting too dark, but can still see looking through the nikons just fine.

Check out the Nitrex binoculars. I have some 8x42s that work well in low light. The only thing I don't like about them is the pull out eye cups. Would prefer twist out cups. I did a blind test on a bunch of different models at different prices and liked them for $280 then found them at Natchez for half that. They are a steal at $140.

another vote for nikon monarchs. compared them side by side with some svaroskis in good light conditions and couldnt tell the difference. didnt get a chance in low light conditions.

I think this says it all. i thought I lost mine and was thinking i was gonna have to buy a replacement pair....and didnt even think about making a switch.

• 11 years later...

Check out the Carson 3D Series High Definition Waterproof Binoculars with ED Glass. Its the best hunting binoculars