• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• usmcjsy

• nels824

• lakesbison

• 24-7FISHON!!

Ya let me know, I will probably show up I dont have nothing else to do. Besides 1/2 the fun is getting there..Right? However I know you got a sled so let me know if ya see any roads for me to work with out there. My little plow was all but useless last weekend. I am seriously considering buying a Berco Northeast snowblower for my yard tractor. I may look stupid with that out on the lake, but I think it will move some snow. I am just tired of this snow every year cutting the ice season short or making it a hassle to get out there.

Well there is a couple options, pay to have them plowed out $50 - $75 bucks or I have a set of home made skis for the house that I am going to try and use if I can get my wheeler to stay on top of the snow. I'm not getting to nervous yet, we have till March 7th I believe to get them off.

Ya your right there is plenty of time. I will start thinking about taking it off later. For right now I just need to forge a path out there. I may just have to pay to get a road plowed out there again. I thought they would get closer to our houses in that area when they were out last time. Tha plowed path last sat went about 1/2 way out to where we are.

I stopped by there on Sunday on my way back from Brainerd and wathced 2 pickups head out on that road, they made it a ways past thet brown one. Looked like one of them got stuck or they were trying to turn around or something, didn't stick around long enough to see, so hopefully they will keep that path open.

Ya that would be nice if they can. Also I did find someone with a tracked vehicle that takes fish houses off. He said he charges $150 for the 1st hr and a 1/2. He said however he has never taken him longer than that. So that is probably what I will do towards the end of the season.

I stopped in at Kens today, and tried getting out on OT. Travel is basically impossible right now. Many people have pulled their houses off, including the guides for now.

was on bucanan last weekend and the conditions are not worth the effort in that area right now. lots of great fishing in the city though and driving conditions down here are great!

Well just tried to get out to my fish house. Made it about 1/4 way to my fishouse and could tell I was gonna get stuck. Backed all the way up and said screw it. If you dont have a sled or your own plow truck I would not even bother coming out. All the old roads have drifted in and you can barely even tell where they were. There does not seem to have been any roads maintained. So I think I am gonna have my house pulled for the year by the guy with the tracked vehicle. No use keeping it out if I cant get out.

heres the deal, my buddy has his house out 2.8 miles from the north access and wants me to run my plow truck down to get him out. he tells me there is no slush but i would like a second on that. dose anyone know that public access almost half way down the north side? is there slush under the snow? is there slush under the snow in other spots? thanks for any info!

Hey SDS, here is the guys # I am looking at getting mine removed the weekend of the 11th. It may be cheaper if he has more than 1 job lined up on the same lake. He charges $150 minimum and says that it usually does not go over that. Jared @ 218-841-7075. Hope that helps ya out.

Hi, I'm the guy with the Jeep. Jared is my buddy and you are welcome to call him or me - my name and number was listed in another recent post in this section. I'll refrain from saying more until I get clarification from the moderator on what is acceptable and what isn't - hopefully coming soon.

Hey C10 I have a feeling your services will be much appreciated this year. If I may also say I priced out those tracks last year and I know they are not cheap. I think for my Toyota I was quoted almost $20k. So if anyone thinks your prices are expensive I would invite them to price out just the initial cost of equipment. Then add in maint, gas and time. I do have one more question for you though, if I wanted to stay out till the end of the season would you still be able to take it off..? I would like to stay out as long as possible however I do not know how much more snow you would be able to work with. Does it matter when one removes it..? Otherwise I was thinking the weekend after next.

Sounds like there is roads again on OT. I copied this from Kens Tackles website:

Fishing Can be Up and Down Otter Tail Lake - Just Like the Weather

By Gary Peterson

February 1, 2011

This has been an interesting winter for fishing in the Otter Tail Lake Area. We experienced a weather change over the weekend and things slowed down a bit. Now we are back at it again.

We do have roads plowed an now hope to keep things open for you for the rest of the season. We don't want this to be a factor. Snowmobiles or track vehicles are the best mode of transportation of course.

Fishermen are catching Perch and Walleye in 10 to 30 feet of water. Panfish on Walker, East Lost and West Battle Lake are producing fish as well.

Any updates on OT travel conditions? I'll be there on Friday pulling a portable with a snowmobile. Is it pretty easy to get around on a sled or are there a bunch of slushy areas to look out for? I will be going out of either Pelican or Riviera. Thanks!

Fish are being caught in "10 to 30 feet of water" eh? I bet they're being caught somewhere between the bottom of the lake and a foot below the ice, too wink

I gave up reading the Outdoor News fishing reports years ago for that exact reason Tyler.

Basically worthless info. Is anyone going to fish any shallower than 10 ft or deeper than 30 ft on the vast majority of days this time of year anyway??? Heck no.

Man you guys are being a little harsh on Gary from Kens. I guess I did not post that for the fishing info so much as to let people know the lake has some roads on it again. The guy is nice enough to keep roads open on the lake and then gets hated on. I am sure no one is going to give you GPS coordinates to the honey hole. He has probably just seen good action in certain spots in the lake with in those depth ranges. The guy knows OT very well, and I am sure knows where the current sweet spots are, considering a guide service is also run from his shop. I would suggest hiring the guide if you want to be led to the current sweet spots that he knows of. Otherwise Gary has always been honest with the fishing conditions on the lake. When its not good he says its been slow and when its good he also says so. If you stop in his shop I bet he would give you a hint to where you should be looking. However I doubt he is going to tell you his exact spots or locations. He usually gives me some good pointers and hints on where to be looking.

Not trying to be harsh and nothing against Gary! He's a good guy! I just find the advice funny, is all. Very general. Obviously the guy has a business to run and obviously he's not giving out GPS coordinates. But 10-30 feet? If I take that as face value, that says to me that I don't need a guide because the fish are biting everywhere!!! wink

Well, apparently that means they aren't biting in less than 10' of water, and we all know there are miles and miles of water like that on the outer ring of that lake! grin

I think he is a great guy and i'm guessing they are moving in during dusk and dawn. I don't have a problem with the 10-30 foot range it does get to 120 try that if they are biting everywhere.

Thats cool guys, did not wanna come off as a jerk on here. Its hard to get ones tone when online like this. Anyway Gary has always been straight up with me. If he says anywhere 10-30 feet then I would take it he has been catching them in those depths or has a couple reliable sources giving him this info. Maybe the fishing has picked up and there is currently a broad range in which they are biting instead of a small window. Anyway if thats what Gary says I would take it at face value.

10-30 feet is pretty much the "structure" you look for on ottertail. Alot of times the eyes are just off the Dropoffs. I have caught plenty in just 12 feet of water. If they are not there then try a little further down that same slope. Ottertail is littered with 10-30 foot dropoffs. It just depends on the lake. If you go up to leech lake in walker bay alot of walleye guys fish from 30-60 Feet, Thats where alot of the structure is in the bay. As for Ottertail, 10-30 Feet is good advice!

Gary is my man, no reason to give him grief.. unless you do it in person, then its fun!

Ottertail is off limits for me until May. just kinda pointless out there, driving wise and fishing wise.

hit a smaller lake and pray that sunny's are biting.