• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I have never been on the lake before and am trying to find someplace different then Red to go and get some eyes at night. I heard that Otter tail has a decent night bite. Is that the case typically or is it a more typical evening and morning bite like most lakes? Is anybody out there catching much these days? Any information is appreciated. Thanks.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• usmcjsy

• nels824

• lakesbison

• 24-7FISHON!!

Indeed OT does have a decent evening/night bite....most people tend to do better during the 45 mins before dark than they did all day (at least from what I've gathered...). We've put quite a few hours into OT the past few years, and to say the least, that lake is quite formidable...I'd prolly suggest targeting some of the midlake structure and be prepared to move around a bit....

I think icefishingdude said it well. If you are mobile, go out and find some structure and stay on the move.

MJ

B Amish. Im calling you out on that, Walleyes durin the day on ottertail is like the dodo bird, extinct.

we fish from 14-22ft the last 10 days, and have caught, 1, 2 here or there, and only from 330pm-5pm. its been SLOOOOOOW.

Who knows...Big lake, Lots of Fish, Lots of unfished water...He might be right. There might be some tactics he employs that he keeps pretty close to the vest, if you know what I mean. Not all productive fishermen give out all of their secrets here.

I pulled mine yesterday, but it's easy to move back out if the snow allows, but I was thinking of moving it anyways to find more fish.

I am going to be fishing tomorrow monitoring the weather if it looks like it's going to miss us so to speak I am going to keep fishing but if not we are going to pull ours at that time. You will not be alone usmcjsy, by the shear number of houses out there not everyone is going to pull them.

I pulled mine yesterday. I am going to be gone, so I just felt better with it at home than getting flooded.

As for the daytime walleye bite, it certainly does exist.

I have found it to be actually pretty good in late January and into February, and lots of snow cover helps. Not a sure thing by any stretch, but keep moving, and work shallow to deep and everywhere in between. Give a series of holes 45 minutes or so, IF you are marking fish. If you dont mark fish, move.

In addition, stay away from the fish house towns, or off to the edges of them.

Probably the second best day I ever had out there was a late January day bite of a mid lake hump. The hump tops out about 8 feet, and dumps into 50-60 feet. We found them mid morning in about 20 feet, and followed them down to about 30-35. About 2 pm they started moving up again. It was a great day, with nice perch mixed in too.

the second best day I ever had out there was a late January day bite of a mid lake hump. The hump tops out about 8 feet, and dumps into 50-60 feet. We found them mid morning in about 20 feet, and followed them down to about 30-35. About 2 pm they started moving up again. It was a great day, with nice perch mixed in too.

That is Exactly right Ottertail them fish can be 4' one hour then the next 50'.

Just got back today and the day bite was pretty good for us. We kept about 30 perch and 15 walleyes (released many smaller fish) in two days of fishing for 4 guys. Of course the twilight was maybe a little better, but the action during the day was pretty good if u kept on the move and tuesday was the day for that as the weather was pretty nice.

Ya I probably should have pulled it last weekend. However I am in Fargo till tomorrow night. So I hope I get lucky. Hopefully they will plow some roads out there again this year.

There is a pretty good road running from Prantes out towards Diamond flat now. Dunno if there is anything coming off Amor Park.

• 2 weeks later...

I am going up to OtterTail lake for a weekend coming up in February. Could I get some help on ice conditions, amount of snow on ice, and if possible point me in some way the right direction to catch something. Do you have to pay to drive on the ice, like other big lakes up north?

Thank you for any help provided.

Mike

I'm looking at Otter Tail lake right now, there is a lot of snow here. I'd say a snowmobile or tracked 4-wheeler is the only way to get around on the lake.

There is no charge for the plowed roads, however local bait shops have tip jars that go to the people who do the plowing.

I was out today got around fairly easy with the roads that were out there. I had a 4 wheeler and a pickup. I went out with the wheeler and plowed a path (re opened a drifted road) to the fish house. Then went out with the truck. If you dont mind putting in a little work (making your own little path off the road to set up shop) its still not 1/2 bad to get around on. If you have a snow blower or a wheeler with a plow you should be alright. Just please dont park or set up shop on the road as other fisherman use the roads as well.

I was out today got around fairly easy with the roads that were out there. I had a 4 wheeler and a pickup. I went out with the wheeler and plowed a path (re opened a drifted road) to the fish house. Then went out with the truck. If you dont mind putting in a little work (making your own little path off the road to set up shop) its still not 1/2 bad to get around on. If you have a snow blower or a wheeler with a plow you should be alright. Just please dont park or set up shop on the road as other fisherman use the roads as well.

So you catch anything?!

24-7, google meister guide service. He has houses to rent, and has places to stay recommended. I've been itching to get out on OT, but this weather won't give us a break this year; either snowing or brutally cold. If we could get some consistent weather patterns, a guy might actually have a chance to go out and catch a nice bunch of eyes.

I was planning on fishing otter tail later this week. Is it possible to get on the lake with a car. I usually go off of greystone and there is usually a plowed path. just wondering if it is plowed and how bad the ice heave is. Haven't been out there yet this yr.

fishlakeman, thank you. I will check into that. I been to all of the other big lakes up north well I was in college in Bemidji. First time going to Otter Tail. Staying at a friends cabin that doesn't fish. So just trying to get the best idea on what I should do with all of the snow I heard is on the lake. Don't want to be stuck at the cabin with the wife and all of her friends.

Well there is a good amount of snow out there. However Kens Tackle has roads plowed out there. They may have drifted in somewhat but if you have 4x4 you should be able to get around ok.

***Update*** I tried to get out and reopen the road today with a ATV plow however it was a no go. The snow that drifted in the road this last week was just to heavy. Tried getting out to the house with the pick up and made it pretty far down the drifted in road but hit a drift that was to big and really buried the truck. As a matter of fact its still sitting there. Talked to Gary at Kens and it sounded like their plow guy was getting the plow repaired. So I threw a $20 in the jar and hopefully they can try to get the roads open again. However this has been a horrible year for snow so please continue to donate to the plow fund. As its not cheap to run and maintain the equipment to move this snow. Just wanted to give ya guys the latest. Sounded like the plow should be out again tomorrow though. If its not the lake is pretty much impassable at this point with wheels.

Oh yea, OT LAKE is a ghost town, its a joke getting around out there.

maybe opening fishing weekend will be better since not many walleyes caught ice fishing this winter????

That may be a silver lining. I was hoping to get out and maybe with the lack of activity on the lake the fishing would be better. If anyone gets out from the Amor access let me know if there is any roads opened up. I dont know if I will even bother going down this weekend if it is like last weekend. Last weekend was a complete nightmare.