• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Well I see the crowd has gathered at the dam and it already looks bad. I did not see enough ice to drive a full size p/u out but there were a few out there. We wheelered out toward moose about 8-9 inch of good ice and 2-3 of white ice. The fishing was not great. We hit the dam right at dark for about 20 min nothing.

Just as we were leaving, somebody with a full size chevy Suburben and a 2 axle wheel house came out.That ice was doing some kind of groaning and you could see the water coming up thru open holes. A little early for that stuff.

In out travels, not much traffic out on the main lake.>>>>later the load

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• BD110

• Jim Almquist

• ripstick

I agree 100% Load its still too early! We had a truck and SUV drive by us the other day. We had about 9" of good ice and 3-4" of frozen slush. That ice was poppin and water was splashin up the holes. If your foolish enough to drive your truck up there stay away from others.

Maybe after X-mas I may think about it but for now its a easy walk to the fish.

Load that d a m area has been beat to death. If you have a wheeler try the area you and I fished a few years back and behind that small island at dusk.

Yeah I was up there Friday night and saw a few guys driving out near the d a m. One guy had a truck way out on the other side of the lake though. Not for me, no thank you.

When I measured the ice on Saturday it looked like 6" of black and 6" of white ice. We were across the lake from the d a m and had 2 different full size pickups drag the houses out. crazy Not sure what they were thinking. It was slow fishing but got enough Crappies for a taste but not a meal grin

How about the 20 trucks that parked right next to each other on the ice on Saturday? I understand when people do this when it is a foot or two deep but if they went through where they were they would be in some pretty deep water...literally. I drove out Sunday with my little Honda accord and didn't hear much cracking. I also saw a few full sizes with wheel houses going accross the middle and thought wow risking that for a crappie!

Ya because whats 12" in some spots is 10" in another. If we get the weight of this big snow we are supposed to get there is no way I would ad truck weight to it. Its still too early for vehicles out there but if 1 guy does it others do too. Often without even checking the ice thickness. crazy

Ya Steve we gave that a shot 13-23ft of water marked alot of fish and low behold we hit the honey hole of 4 inch perch. We tried on the back side of the island and that is were we got the sunnies. According to my Lowrance chip, the deepest place back in moose is 16-17 feet is that it?? All we found is 16.

I think they need doggies doo bags at the landing. Nasty

>>later the load

Your lucky you found that. Some years the water level is down and you only find 14-15.

That little island is only good the last hour or so and some nice eyes can be had there as well.

put the ice road in out of hi banks resort going both ways only out to hibanks for right now no slush at all be safe and merry Christmas and happy new year to everyone.Tim & kim

Hey tim Thats good to here. Waiting to figure out were to fish sunday. Got a feeling its going to be up there. Just waiting to hear from 1 more person. How far did you get on the main lake?

Glad to see you made it back Tim. I bet you've been a busy man the last day or so. Hopefully I'll see you sometime tomorrow...

I caught 5 fish in the 22' hole down by the d a m. it was nice to fish with friends that I have not seen in a while. The bad part was Lisa got a bug and had to stay home. It was nice to chat a bit with Tim at Highbanks.

Glad to see you got a few, Jim. Hope Lisa sheds the bug quickly!

Your ain't a kidding wink

If she missed the Christmas eve church service she would be so bummed. They have a special program for the kids and this might just be the last year are Godchildren will participate. The twins are getting so old crazy

Just checking tosee if anyone is heading out there sun to maybe try out newgear or to just fish. No reports from xmas eve

Not me Gary Im working until 3pm and wouldnt be there til 4. Who knows though maybe I would come up just for a hour then stop by and say Hi to Tim at Hi Banks and have a pizza and brew.

Gary

Right now the plan is for Lisa and I to get out and chase or at least scare a few crappies tomorrow. I was out today just checking spots for activity and kept 2 and lost 4. Strange bite today with them only wanting my ant with a waxie. Not one hit on my minnow confused

Lately I have been doing far better on just small plastics with no meat or 1 small waxie. They have been very finicky in the 2 areas I fished.

Hey Gary,

Mary and I are planning on being out for the whole day. I'm planning on going out of Hibanks so give me a call in the morning when you're heading out.

Mary going to make it the whole day Tom? Better bring the grill and some brews. Maybe have a Ice House Party of your own eh? laugh

If it's anything like Thursday I'm guessing she'll sneak in a nap or two... I'll be happy to just catch some fish!!! wink

P.S. Gary I just saw your message. Thanks for checking on the tip-up flags and I'll talk to you in the morning.

A little tip on the crappies. I never, ever, never use minnows any more. I start out w/ a marmooska or diamond jig and either a euro larve or red gulp grub and go from there.

If they are finicky and won't bite, I tie on a 1 lb test leader w/ a good small swivel and a small, small, small jig or #14 dry fly hook w/ a larve or gulp. If they are finicky they don't like the lure spinning around like it typically does, sometimes this makes a HUGE difference. NO bobbers at all, either a very UL rod or a spring bobber.

If they are aggressive, I'll use a small demon jigging spoon or swedish pimple w/ a larve or waxie. IMO minnows slow you down, especially when you have a school come through. It's way easier to get back down there

Brian

I agree Brian. I do however use minnows at times because I have found the bigger fish will at times take the minnows over the plastics. My go to is a pink/white ratso or ratfinky and the diamond jig with a wedgie on it is another good one.