• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

Fishing Report Clubs - Make Your Own "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"!

Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see detailed info that is shared. CLICK HERE to join.

Have Fun!!!

thedeadsea

Ely - Babbitt Fishing Reports - Lake Conditions Too.

caseymcq

Thank you both Mr. Foss and Mr. Maki. You are each gentlemen and scholars. grin

Steve Foss

Hey all:

It was a wonderful opener on Bside today. Warm weather, three trout caught by 1 p.m.

Fished a neckdown between two islands in 53 FOW with the neckdown opening into deeper bays on both sides, so it was a saddle as well as a neckdown. Caught the fish, which ranged from 2 to just over 5 pounds, on Lindy Darters and Lindy Rattlin Flyers (all lures untipped).

I posted a much more in-depth report on the HSO Club forum, so if you are a member you can go there for more location/tactic details and more pics.

And tomorrow, MORE TROUT! gringrin

Here was sunrise.

sunrise-pano.jpg

And the 5lber

5lg.jpg

Mike Stark

nice foss!!! not a bad way to start off the season! i think i know where that spot is. cool

Steve Foss

I fish about seven or eight areas on Bside just like this, Mike. So maybe you recognize it and maybe you don't. gringrin

Tomorrow I'm exploring new water. Not gonna hit my tried and tested spots when the lake is as full of anglers as it'll be then. Love it! smilesmile

Huey

Very nice!

Nice fish and nice scenery. I wish I had been up there today.

What's with the tail? It looks like it has been chewed on.

Steve Foss

Yeah, that was one beat up tail. Never seen one that bad on a Bside trout.

Great Outdoors

Stevo,

I bet I know where that spot was mad

I should have mined it just before freeze up gringrin

Steve Foss

Stevo,

I bet I know where that spot was mad

I should have mined it just before freeze up gringrin

Yeah, you know that spot. And you keep deluding yourself that you led me there by plowing a road straight to it. Put on your "mad" face all you want. I'd found that spot open water trolling earlier, and had fished it both open water and on ice before you saw me there.

But hey, it's one of a bunch just like it I fish on Burntside. Probably you led me to all those, too. gringringrin

Now, I've been shown a number of nice locations on Bside, and I'm never too proud to take advice about a good spot. smilesmilesmile

Meanwhile, tomorrow I'm fishing water I've never ice fished before. Sure hope I don't see a Maki road plowed right to it. gringrin

Cliff Wagenbach

Nice fish Steve!

Great opener for you!

Cliff

Mike Stark

i was just playin with you foss...i dont know where it is...i have been looking at areas like that on the big map though.

Steve Foss

i was just playin with you foss...i dont know where it is...i have been looking at areas like that on the big map though.

Those spots be many. It's worth a day of your time to not even fish. Just to bring an auger, GPS, flasher and map and check out as many as possible. For sure the best kind of day well spent. Ground truthing a map, even the Monster Map, will show things you'll want to know, things the map doesn't have on it.

And if you leave the rods at home, it's amazing what you can find and figure out regarding structure/depths without the pressure to get a line in the water.

Great Outdoors

Stevo,

You'll only see a Maki road plowed to it if I see you fishing, and as I zero in, the truck won't be slowing down (if you catch my meaning) gringringrin

Hooliganz

nice fish Steve. May I ask what kind of rod is that your using.

Steve Foss

Hooli, it's an HT Polar Lites series heavy action (PL-34H). It's 34 inches, and is an excellent affordable spinning rod for lakers. Sells for about $15. While it's a heavy action, it's not a broom handle. Mate it with a Shimano 2000 series spinning reel with 10-12 lb mono (or equivalent reel from another manufacturer), and you've got a very good laker rig that won't ruin your budget. My clients and I have landed many a Bside laker with this rod.

Steve Foss

Today, three of us put 8 lakers on the ice on Burntside, ranging from 1lb to a 35.5 incher. The big one, alas, was VERY skinny, and only weighed in at about 8 lbs based on the girth/length measurement formula. Normally that would have ranged from 15 to 20 lb. But it was still a very cool fish, and it was a great day in great company! gringringrin

Here's the big un, caught by Steve (leech on HSO)

web-leech.jpg

And a nice eater from Matt (Neighbor Guy)

web-neighbor-guy.jpg

And a 3-4 lb eater I got

web-steve.jpg

walleye365

well done nice fish guys cant wait to get up there. good luck fishin

Spearing Machine

Nice work Steve! Looks like you have them all dialed in already out there on B-side!!

BTW I got the package the other day in the mail. Thanks!

fishnhuntnboy

Nice looking fish there! I cant wait to get back up there on sunday to fish! Got some new lures today to try out and cant wait!

Capt. Russ

Good to see that you put it all together. We were out traveling the lakes talking to many folks that were doing well. The largest I saw was a beautiful eleven pounder.

Steve Foss

Thanks, everybody. The five of us fished several different areas today, and it was a tougher bite. I THINK everybody got at least one fish. Not sure about Neighbor Guy and Leech. It clouded over and the wind switched last night, and that seemed to have turned the fish off a bit from what they were Friday and Saturday.

But another nice opener -- with plenty of fish and in good company -- is now in the books. smilesmile

delcecchi

There is a puzzle. How can the fish tell which way the wind is blowing when the lake is covered with two feet of ice?

I can believe they can tell sunny from cloudy, but wind? Any theories?

leech~~

Today, three of us put 8 lakers on the ice on Burntside, ranging from 1lb to a 35.5 incher. The big one, alas, was VERY skinny, and only weighed in at about 8 lbs based on the girth/length measurement formula. Normally that would have ranged from 15 to 20 lb. But it was still a very cool fish, and it was a great day in great company! gringringrin

Here's the big un, caught by Steve (leech on HSO)

And a nice eater from Matt (Neighbor Guy)

And a 3-4 lb eater I got

Steve, Thanks for posting the pic's. Laker slime down the front of my coat looks great! I may never wash it! grin It was nice meeting you and your wife at the Boathouse after a Great day out on B/Side with all the guys. Tracy, Matt, & Jared.

Cliff Wagenbach

A switch in wind direction usually indicates a barometer change also. That will have an effect on fish behavior.

Cliff

Steve Foss

I had 16-20 inches of ice everywhere I fished from Fri-Sun. Trucks were driving all over the place. The ice is hard and clear. Very little snow on the ice so 4x4 isn't even needed.

Steve Foss

How can the fish tell which way the wind is blowing when the lake is covered with two feet of ice?

Good humor, Del. smilesmile

Neighbor_guy

I ran into a few areas that only had 8 or so on sunday. But a good solid 10-12 in most places. If you know your travel route and feel confident.....

I still prefer the sled.

Steve Foss

Matt, where were those areas? It would be a good thing to know.

ben h

fished the north arm fri thru sun had several good fish biggest was a nice fat 5 lb. caught most of our fish on the drop off of a reef in just 20ft of water give or take. Did not catch one fish on live bait all of them hit tipped airplanes. Guess ill be buying more of those little charms

Wanderer

Hey Ben,

Nice talking to you out there on the ice. At least the clues I have point out that it was you stopping by to chat on Saturday. smile Didya get any walleyes for your bud?

It was a fun three days even though I was a whipped puppy by Friday night. Not 'nuff sleep.

It was good to see our whole crew hook up multiple times and everybody got pictures - cept me. I did catch 5 over the weekend (largest maybe a 3) had some chasers and lost my picture fish on Sunday afternoon. It was a HOT fish that blasted up 20 feet to nab my spoon as it was free spooling down. Just didn't get it pinned good I guess.

Leech stole the show with his 35 & 1/2 incher. grin HNTNBUX got his PB also. The 28 incher on the left. Always happy to see guys get their best. smile

DSC018462.jpg

Another weekend, more good memories and laker lessons learned.

ben h

no eyes for us. think i convinced the group next time we skip the eyes. why leave bside when others drive from all over to fish it this time of year and go fish some lake none of us know anything about. we'll hunt up the eyes when they bite and fish lakers when they bite.

nice lookin fish also, and thanks for the tips sat

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Vlewis128
      By Vlewis128
      Hi all. I am currently at Rush Lake near Perham at Four Seaons Resort. We’ve been here three days and have caught basically nothing. Can anyone give me some advice on walleyes here? Where to go and good baits for this lake? I’ll take any advice on any type of fish you might experience with on this lake. Never been here before.....
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Anglers had an excellent week of good fishing and fish frys.  A strong walleye bite continues with best success in 17-28 feet of water.  It is good to remember, not all walleyes do the same thing.  Some schools are deep, some shallow.  Some may be feeding on minnows, others critters in the mud.  Good reports in various areas along the south shore of the lake as well as Knight / Bridges Island area.  Anchored up and vertical jigging a jig and minnow or frozen emerald shiner has been very successful.  Gold / pink  / orange or a combo hard to beat.  Drifting with spinners and trolling crankbaits also catching fish.  A nice mix of eaters, slots and trophies.  Some big pike and jumbo perch in the mix.  
      On the Rainy River...   Anglers caught some good walleyes in the river this week.  Best depth 12-24'.  Jigs and minnows working the best.  The edge of the river channel in Four Mile Bay also giving up some walleyes.  Smallmouth bass in good numbers.  Typical spots, rocky areas, current breaks, bridge and rip rap areas.  Somie big pike still hanging out in bays.  The sturgeon season is closed until July 1st when the season re-opens.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Until the US / Canada border opens, guests can travel across the lake and stay in MN waters.  Some resorts are offering transport service across the lake in MN waters to the Angle prior to the border opening.  Some guests are setting up with transport to follow charters in their own boats.  Various south shore resorts are offering parking for guests of NW Angle resorts.
      Fishing is great.  Anglers fishing the Angle are catching good numbers of walleyes.  Jigging rocky points in 10 - 22 feet of water producing nice walleyes.  Some good fish also being caught on crankbaits in 8-12' of water.  Big pike in bays and creek mouths.  Smallmouth bass in bays and shallow rocks.  

• Rick
      By Rick
      In memory of those who made the ultimate sacrifice for the freedoms we enjoy. Thank you!!

Your sacrifice and courage gave us a country where we can pursue our dreams without the fear of others denying our freedom, essential liberty and ability to pursue happiness. Thank you.

I promise your sacrifice has not been made in vain. I will always be vigilant protecting what you so courageously bought for all of us. Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Courage and love, over fear and hatred...ALWAYS!

THANK YOU VETERANS who gave everything that we might live FREE!
    • NDAngler
      By NDAngler
      Hey folks,
      First post here. I've really wanted to get into smallmouth fishing. It's hard to track down reports about rivers and creeks, so I was wondering if there are any nice smallmouth creeks around Ottertail County. I live about 50 miles into southeast ND and I have a couple cabins I can stay at around Otter Tail. I would really appreciate any information you are willing to share. Thank you!
    • Squirrelhawke
      By Squirrelhawke
      Ended up going out to the South end of the lake this weekend. Did ok for bites not knowing the lake so only brought home one pike. Saw quite a few more but they were all too big to keep with the 24-36 slot in effect. Biggest surprise was catching a small pout on my first cast yesterday. Definitely a river lake.
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      5.18.2020 On the south end...  Resorts are open and anglers enjoying fishing and fish frys.  A strong walleye bite continues with best success in 20 - 30 feet of water.  Anchored up and vertical jigging a jig and minnow or frozen emerald shiner has been very successful.  Gold / pink or gold / orange colors hard to beat.  South end water temps warmer than north end of lake.  Fish on the south end mainly post spawn, up north, still spawning.  A nice mix of eaters, slots and trophies.  Some big pike continue to be caught as well.  
      On the Rainy River...   Some good walleyes were caught in the river this week.  Best depth 12-24'.  Jigs and minnows working the best.  Some fish still being caught in the Four Mile Bay and the Bostic Bay areas.  Fish are post spawn.  Some shiners are in the river holding fish. The sturgeon season is closed until July 1st when the season re-opens.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Until the US / Canada border opens, guests can travel across the lake and stay in MN waters.  Some resorts are offering transport service across the lake in MN waters to the Angle prior to the border opening.  Various south shore resorts are offering parking for guests of NW Angle resorts.
      Fishing is great.  Anglers fishing the Angle are catching good numbers of walleyes.  Jigging rocky points and reefs close to islands in 8 - 25 feet of water effective.  Some good fish also coming on crankbaits in 8-12' of water. 

• Muskies
      By Muskies
      Hello everyone.
      I have not seen or heard from anyone on the form so I thought I would post some pictures of opening weekend on rainy lake, May 16 and 17. Water is about 18” low from July levels and water temperature is 56 degrees as of Sunday. The walleyes and bass were caught on jig and minnows in 8’- 12’ of water. 

• hooksetter
      By hooksetter
      Has anyone fished a small lake near Cross Lake called Velvet Lake? I am looking at property on the lake and may have to make a decision before exploring the lake!

Thank you for any information. 

mark hooksetter
    • SteinBizer
      By SteinBizer
      Who’s ready for pre spawn? Water temps on the river should be getting close right? I lived on the Minnesota River most my life now I’m stuck in central and I’m not a lake fishing guy. Anyone off the Minnesota, Mississippi, or St. Croix have any updates on water temps in those rivers, feel free to reply! I’m scratchin to go cat’n ! Going out this weekend to fill the bait tank with some bullheads. 
    • F/M member
      By F/M member
      Catfishing the Red River? In the F/M area?

What works best for catfishing in the F/M area?
      Whats the contour of the Red River like for someone to see where to fish?
      Are any of the dam spots good for catfishing?

What has worked for you?
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Hookmaster
      New 2020 boat. Livewell is leaking into the boat. Upon further review I found the leak. It's on the white fitting of the recirculation system where the water goes back into the livewell. I'm sure the rigger broke the little nipple on the right side when he installed the fuel/water separating filter as the gray gas line is right there. My question is where does the tubing from the little nipple go? The front livewell?  
    • Wanderer
      Agreed, the eyes didn’t look healthy and didn’t have much spunk, even for walleyes.  We caught some off the dock fishing leeches under floats in about 8-9 fow.   Lots of boats out!  I don’t visit Mille Lacs much so I don’t know if the memorial crowd was more than usual but I have a feeling it wasn’t.  Except for the rain showers that moved through we could count anywhere from 45 -100 boats from the dock at any given time.
    • rumeye
      My brother was up there on Sunday with the Nephew and had a 70 fish day. He said most were 18 to 21 inches with a few 22 23's and 24's mixed in. Think they also got a few 25 and 26ers. Leech's lindy rigging off Agate reef and Half moon deep side 21 ft plus. 
    • rumeye
      Did some Crappie fishing in the area over the weekend the bite was on. Grandson had a blast. Wife also had a good day fishing for once. They were some very nice sized fish. Plain hook and minnow and ice fishing teardrop lures in green did the trick with minnow. One day plain hook ruled next day green jigs did.
    • rumeye
      Some nice Catfish down further towards Pokegama also.  
    • SkunkedAgain
      In my 15+ years of ownership, I have never seen boat traffic like we had in Black Bay over the week/weekend. During the week there were 5-10 boats and each day while this weekend there were 20-30 boats from morning-to-night hunting crappies. There was no hot spot, just boats everywhere.    When I finally went home last night after 1.5 weeks up, I noted that someone backed their trailer into the dock at The Landing. The rubber bumper was hanging off. It must have been a hoot to sit around watching all of the boats going in and out.
    • Vlewis128
      No one has any advice?
    • SkunkedAgain
      We were accidentally finding them on beds near shore. Tried to avoid pulling them off of course.
    • Coleman
      So, I gave up on eyes this weekend.  Figured it was time for a change.     I fished for Crappie, they were much more willing to bite.  They are mostly all shallow, 2-4'.  I caught them on minnows and tube jig.  I just scanned the shallows looking for schools.     Funny thing, I was fishing the Edgeton Rd Bridge, caught a solid 9" gill, then next cast something picked up my tube, I set the hook, I see a bright white belly turn, and the jig popped out.  I guess the issue with a tiny jig and a ultra light rod.  I think it was a 24'ish  walleye.  Next cast I stuck a 14" walleye.  Then two dudes in bass boats came chugging along at about 6mph with their motor trimmed to high hell and stirred everything up.  Thought that was nice of them.     So, I also did see a large grouping of blue gill beds on the main sand flat on Horseshoe.  Only a few bites.  I could see fish in them with SI.  Also tried weed edges for gill in about 9-10', and just dinks.  Threw a crawler at the shore, and started hammering 8-9" gills.     So fish can be caught, just have to try and figure out what they want.  With more consistent weather should come a better bite.  
    • Vlewis128
      Hi all. I am currently at Rush Lake near Perham at Four Seaons Resort. We’ve been here three days and have caught basically nothing. Can anyone give me some advice on walleyes here? Where to go and good baits for this lake? I’ll take any advice on any type of fish you might experience with on this lake. Never been here before.....

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.