• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Glad to hear the east end has some good ice, but dont assume that the whole lake does. I was just out in the central part of the lake and some areas still only have 3" of ice. And that was areas with no current and some of the first spots to freeze.

Steve

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steve Foss

• Mike Stark

• Great Outdoors

• Wanderer

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wanted to provide a follow-up report for all interested. In a word...tough. Got to the campground on Friday with a huge wind coming off the lake from the SW. Got set-up just before the rains came.

We had an incredible trip last year in the BWCA. Smallmouth action was the best I've seen it. The best that time of year were poppers, jerk baits, and wacky worms. Here's a video I put together of the

life=outdoors92

i am gonna be up there this weekend for some fishin and hunting, so i was just wondering if they are bitin anywhere round the lake

I got a report from two guys that were out last Saturday (December 12th) that the ice was 4" - 5" thick on Shagawa. From Saturday to yesterday (Wednesday) the temps have been well below zero. It has "warmed" up some but is still below the freezing mark (16 degrees right now).

Ice thickness on Shag is now ranging from 8 to nearly 12 inches, with only an inch or so of snow on the ice. With highs in the teens and lows around zero, we aren't making ice as fast as we were earlier this week, but it's still building up 24/7 with so little snow on it. And no snow expected in the near forecast. Shaping up to be a great ice year up here.

Totally different lake, but my wife drove by Lax Lake (between Finland and Silver Bay) yesterday and there were trucks on the ice.

Silver Scale

Good I bet. Some people don't eat them due to what used to run into the lake in stinky ditch.....

It's good. Just got back from a couple hours tip-up fishing on Shag. Ended up with four from 13-19 inches. Had a solid foot of ice where I was, with a few permanent shacks on the ice. I reckon the shacks will be flying out onto this ice this weekend, but meanwhile it was nice to have a spot all to myself. smilesmile

Shag walleyes taste at least as good as Vermilion walleyes. wink

I do believe for a period of time the walleyes were referred to as Shagawa *substitute synonym for feces here* sharks for similar reasons Stinky Ditch got its name laughlaugh

May not have influenced the flavor but ... grin

Fish don't taste like what they eat. They taste like what they are. And walleyes, as you'd expect from a Norwegian fish, are as bland as lefse. No matter which roller you use to flatten the lefse. winkwink

I know the Irish know bland Norwegian food, because of the Irish know a lot about potatoes, which are buhLAND by definition. And, uh, it's called potato lefse for a reason! grin

Wait now... fish eat fish, and fish taste like fish... so one could argue they taste like what they eat grinwink

I did say it may not influence the flavor. It is more so the idea of eating something that may have ingested a deuce somebody dropped in Ely laugh. There is a reason I don't eat vegetables out of some people's gardens wink

Bland is good... keeps the food from overpowering the taste of the whiskey laugh

I agree overall fish taste is affected by their environment. I once had a bite of a sauger caught out of the Illinois River that tasted like 90w gear lube...Pennzoil to be exact! Don't ask me how I know what that tastes like, it's a long story.

An old fisherman once told me, If girls didn't swim, fish would smell and taste just like water grin I guess with your short and sometimes non exisent summers up there,bland walleye taste would then make sense laugh

Just havin a little fun.

Merry Christmas and a better new year to all.

Stizo

Tominator692

An old fisherman once told me, If girls didn't swim, fish would smell and taste just like water grin I guess with your short and sometimes non exisent summers up there,bland walleye taste would then make sense laugh

Just havin a little fun.

Merry Christmas and a better new year to all.

Stizo

Now that's some funny stuff!!!

• 3 weeks later...

There is no slush on any of the lakes I've been on or heard about. Just a little touch of shallow slush in one small area on Vermilion a week and a half ago, and that was locked up tight next time I went through. I haven't checked if there's a road off Van Vac, but if there is, it isn't necessary. There's only about six inches of snow on the ice. I haven't gotten out to check on the ice like I thought I would yesterday or today. I'd be very surprised if there's less than 14-16 inches. We have so little snow to insulate it, and we've had some serious cold snaps since freezeup (which was about a month ago).

I'm planning on getting out there in the a.m. and will post a report on this thread. Great Outdoors might already have an ice thickness report to post. Not sure if he'd been testing the ice yet on Bside.

I'm sure he knows the ice thickness. With a Popemobile like that, all he's missing is a tall hat. Shouldn't even have to drill a hole. He can just ask God for a report. gringringrin

I drilled several holes out in the middle of Van Vac Bay this morning. I had 16 inches of solid, clear, hard ice in each one. Van Vac is one of the last two big portions of Burntside to freeze over, so there will be some parts of the lake with more ice than that.

There isn't even six inches of snow on the ice. My mid-size SUV sank in one or two inches. A stupid Impala will get you anywhere you want to go. Hardest part about getting around on Bside with a 2-wheel drive car or truck will be climbing the steep access road on the way out. I can't speak for conditions on the western end. I know that froze over well before Van Vac did.

There are a couple plowed roads, but the road berms are only 6 inches deep, so there's really no need for a road at all. Trucks have been driving all over, and there were a couple trucks on the ice this morning.

That being said, no ice is safe, so please everyone take care out there.

Also was fun to drill my first holes with the new IceGator with the Nils 8-inch drill mounted. SuhWEEEET! Quiet, fast, no fumes, no gas to haul around, no loud racket slamming your ears. Love it! We'll just have to see how many holes I can get out of one charge. They say 100 holes through 10 inches and 40 holes through 28 inches.

thanks for the report Steve. going up tomorrow night and starting early Friday morning. Pete Zebich grin and I will hit it hard. Should have a report Monday for everyone.

Great Outdoors

caseymcq

Just wait until you see the Pope Mobile with the 5x9 1/2 lock and ride insulated fish house that folds out of the back with one smooth motion laugh

Has there been any traffic headed west from Van Vac?

Has anybody been out from the Wolf Lake Road Landing?

Great Outdoors

Has there been any traffic headed west from Van Vac?

Has anybody been out from the Wolf Lake Road Landing?

Yes, yes smile

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Pike anglers catching fish in back bays. Deadbait on a quick strike rig under a bobber, spoons, spinnerbaits and crankbaits are the go to presentations.  The pike season is open year-round on LOW and the Rainy River.    
      The pike limit is 3 fish per day, 30-40 inches must be released, one over 40" allowed.  Most practice catch and release with a nice photo on big fish, and there are a lot of big pike being caught.
      On the Rainy River...   Sturgeon anglers looking to keep a sturgeon have through May 7th.  After that catch and release kicks in again.  Catch and release 5/8/21 - 5/15/21.  Closed 5/16/21 - 6/30/21.  Harvest season, 7/1/21 - 9/30/21.
      A 3-5 ounce no-roll sinker combined with a sturgeon rig (18" snell of 60 lb test with a 4/0 or 5/0 circle hook) with a glob of crawlers, frozen emerald shiners or both is the most common setup.  
      Good numbers of fish, all size ranges, being caught.  Sturgeon have been active.
      Up at the NW Angle...  A few anglers fishing pike in back bays but most looking forward to the May 15th fishing opener.  The go to walleye spots come the opener will be shoreline and island structure and underwater points.  The technique, a jig and a minnow!
      With the Canada border still closed, there are many ways to get up to the Angle.  The LOW Passenger Service, charter boat shuttle service from the south end, is open and running.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service out of Baudette and other locations.  

• CJH
      By CJH
      Anybody been out or heard any water temps on the Le Homme Dieu Chain?  The weather has been so up and down, kind of curious where they are at.  

Thanks much!!
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Most attention right now is with sturgeon and pike with anglers looking forward to the May 15th walleye opener.  The pike season is open year-round on LOW and the Rainy River.  Backwater areas and back bays are all over LOW and the Rainy River and are where pike are being caught.  Deadbait on a quick strike rig under a bobber, spoons, spinnerbaits and crankbaits are all working.  
      The pike limit is 3 fish per day, 30-40 inches must be released, one over 40" allowed.  Most practice catch and release with a nice photo on big fish, and there are a lot of big pike being caught.
      On the Rainy River...   Sturgeon fishing is in full swing and fishing is good.  Now through May 7th is the sturgeon harvest season (45-50", or over 75")  Catch and release 5/8/21 - 5/15/21.  Closed 5/16/21 - 6/30/21.  Harvest season, 7/1/21 - 9/30/21.
      A 3-5 ounce no-roll sinker combined with a sturgeon rig (18" snell of 60 lb test with a 4/0 or 5/0 circle hook) with a glob of crawlers, frozen emerald shiners or both is the ticket.  Local bait shops / resorts have rigs and bait available.
      Find a deeper spot or hole in a stretch of the river, anchor up and still fish the bottom.  Your bait sends a scent trail the sturgeon will find!  Some huge sturgeon being caught in excess of 70 inches.  
      Up at the NW Angle...  The NW Angle is ice free and everyone is looking forward to the May 15th fishing opener.  There are many ways to access Angle resorts.  The LOW Passenger Service, charter boat shuttle service from the south end, is open and running.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service out of Baudette and other locations.  A complete list of lodging and fishing packages available in Baudette, on the Rainy River, around Lake of the Woods and up at the NW Angle at www.fishingminnesota.com/Lodging

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Lake of the Woods is ice free!  Walleye anglers are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener on May 15th.  Based on the big fish in the Rainy River this spring, there is a lot of excitement!
      The pike season is open year-round on LOW and the Rainy River.  Backwater areas and back bays are where pike spawning activity is taking place.  The pike limit is 3 fish per day, 30-40 inches must be released, one over 40" allowed.  Most practice catch and release with a nice photo on big fish, and there are a lot of big pike being caught.
      On the Rainy River...   The spring walleye season closed with good success.  Despite varying clarity and some spring rains pushing debris into the water, hearty walleye anglers still pulled some very good fish last week.  Now looking toward the walleye opener.  
      Sturgeon fishing this past week was excellent.  Sturgeon of all sizes being caught which bodes well for the health of the fishery which is very strong.  Sturgeon catch and release season through 4/23/21.  Keep season 4/24/21 - 5/7/21, (45-50", or over 75")  Catch and release 5/8/21 - 5/15/21.  Closed 5/16/21 - 6/30/21.  Harvest season, 7/1/21 - 9/30/21.
      A 4-6 ounce no-roll sinker combined with a sturgeon rig (18" snell of 60 lb test with a 4/0 or 5/0 circle hook) with a glob of crawlers, frozen emerald shiners or both is the ticket.  Local bait shops / resorts have rigs and bait available.
      Find a deeper spot or hole in a stretch of the river, anchor up and still fish the bottom.  Your bait sends a scent trail the sturgeon will find!
      Up at the NW Angle...  The NW Angle is ice free and everyone is looking forward to the May 15th fishing opener.  There are many ways to access Angle resorts.  The LOW Passenger Service, charter boat shuttle service from the south end, is open and running.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service out of Baudette and other locations.  

• BigTrucka
      By BigTrucka
      Hey all, just moved back to MN where I grew up after living in the PNW for a long while. I became addicted to fishing rivers and streams out there and have started to check out the offerings in the NW section of the state as of yesterday’s opener. Wondering if anyone has experience in this area and can give me some pointers or just tell me if I’m wasting my time since that’s what I’m wondering right now since I didn’t find any signs of fish. I’m using a spinning rod with Mepp’s and Panther Martin style spinners and went through a bunch of color combos. I started yesterday morning at the Clearwater River in western Beltrami County essentially on the border with Clearwater County where the state has some land and a pretty lengthy easement. Probably a well known area. Beautiful area to walk through. Found multiple holes, but yeah no fish at all. I waded for a bit and decided to leave. I went south since I live closer to Moorhead and stopped at Felton Creek. I’ve read a DNR study about this creek having a decreasing population of fish, but it’s still considered a trout stream although not “designated”. I understand the channelization of creeks in this region ruined fish habitat over the last 100 years, but still find some DNR material as of the last 5 years that reference Felton Creek as a spot for trout. Walked the stream for a bit before I left and headed to Lawndale Creek south of Barnesville. I waded through the AMA on the Atherton WMA expecting to find some brook trout since the DNR has stocked it as of at least 2017. Nothing through the entire stretch besides frogs and minnows. Are there actually fish in these places? The Clearwater and Lawndale are designated trout streams. The Clearwater is stocked annually and Lawndale is supposed to have wild brook trout. Anyone have any experience in these spots? Should’ve just drove down MN200 & 71 to the obvious spots in Becker/Hubbard?
    • SkunkedAgain
      By SkunkedAgain
      Someone had to kick things off.

I caught some shrimp at the grocery store over the weekend. I'm hoping to see some spawning walleye this weekend. Who knows where they will be in a month when we are all allowed to actually fish for them!
    • Coleman
      By Coleman
      Has anyone been on the water of areas lakes?  Kinda curious what the water temps are hovering around?  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end... The lake is still ice covered with big stretches of open water which is expanding daily.  Anglers fishing the lake are fishing in front of the Lighthouse Gap where the Rainy River enters LOW.  Anglers are allowed a limit of walleyes and saugers on the lake, but catch and release only on Four Mile Bay and the Rainy River during the spring walleye season which lasts through April 14.  The walleye season opens again on May 15th.
      Pike Fishing.  Open water is available in the back bays such as various Four Mile Bay, Bostic Creek, Zippel Bay and backwaters on the Rainy River where pike spawn.  Some nice pike being caught in shallow water areas.  These areas are off of the main lake and perfect for small boats.  The pike season is open year round on LOW and the Rainy River.  3 fish per day, 30-40 inches must be released, one over 40" allowed.  
      On the Rainy River...   This past week was nothing short of incredible for walleye fishing on the Rainy River.  Large numbers of big walleyes were caught and released.  Many fish 30 - 33+ inches in the mix.  Exactly why anglers love the Rainy River in the spring.  
      Good reports up and down the river including Four Mile Bay.
      A 3/8 - 1/2 ounce jig is working nicely tipped with a minnow or a plastic.  Bright plastics and frozen shiners working best on jigs.  Some anglers trolling crankbaits with success to cover water.  
      Sturgeon fishing continues to be good with good numbers of sturgeon being caught.  Most anglers targeting holes in the river.  Some sturgeon being caught on rolling sand dunes with fish laying in the depressions. Wherever there is food and a bit of slacker water!
      With lower current, a 3 ounce no-roll sinker combined with a sturgeon rig (18" snell of 60 lb test with a 4/0 or 5/0 circle hook) with a glob of crawlers, frozen emerald shiners or both is the ticket.  Local bait shops have rigs and bait available.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Locals are able to get their boats from the mainland (Angle Inlet) to most areas of the islands.  Looking ahead to open water, there are various ways to travel to the NW Angle this summer without crossing the border.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  There is also the Lake of the Woods Passenger Service (charter boat shuttle to Angle).  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service out of Baudette and other locations.  

• leech~~
      By leech~~
      Whats your guess? 
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end... Most of the lake is still ice covered with the exception of large areas adjacent to inflowing water such as the Lighthouse Gap (Rainy River) and Morris Point Gap (Bostic Creek) areas.  Open water is expanding daily.  Anglers are allowed a limit of walleyes and saugers on the lake, but catch and release only on Four Mile Bay and the Rainy River through April 14. 
      Open water is becoming available in many of the back bays around the lake where pike spawn.  The pike season is open year round on LOW and the Rainy River.  3 fish per day, 30-40 inches must be released, one over 40" allowed.  
      On the Rainy River...   River fishing started out strong, slowed down with cold weather and the Big Fork and Little Fork Rivers spilling mud into the Rainy River and now is picking up again.  The water is clearing and water temps are on the rise.
      A 3/8 - 1/2 ounce jig is working nicely tipped with a minnow or a plastic.  Bright plastics and frozen shiners working best on jigs.  Walleyes caught in various depths down to 35 feet.  
      Some anglers trolling crankbaits with success to cover water.  Walleye season is catch and release only on Rainy River and Four Mile Bay through April 14th.
      Sturgeon fishing continues to be good with good numbers of sturgeon being caught.  Sturgeon aren't as affected by dirty water as they feed by scent.  Sturgeon catch and release season through 4/23/21.  Keep season 4/24/21 - 5/7/21, (45-50", or over 75")  Catch and release 5/8/21 - 5/15/21.  Closed 5/16/21 - 6/30/21.
      With lower current, a 3 ounce no-roll sinker combined with a sturgeon rig (18" snell of 60 lb test with a 4/0 or 5/0 circle hook) with a glob of crawlers, frozen emerald shiners or both is the ticket.  Local bait shops have rigs and bait available.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Various areas are starting to open up.  Looking ahead to open water, there are various ways to travel to the NW Angle this summer without crossing the border.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  There is also the Lake of the Woods Passenger Service (charter boat shuttle to Angle).  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service out of Baudette and other locations.  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.