• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ely - Babbitt Fishing Reports - Lake Conditions Too.

Thanks. I will pick one up if I get a chance, although flat line trolling can work surprisingly well this time of year. It is amazing that they will hit floating rapalas in 100 feet of water sometimes.

If surface temps are right and lakers are in aggressive feeding mode, they'll come off the bottom to smack a lure running only a few feet down over 100 FOW.

I've seen it happen. That's aggressive!

Getting a lure down 20=30 feet just means they don't have as far to go, and that translates into a few more fish.

Well, I didn't get the jet diver. Got a couple snap weights packed and an assortment of deep, shallow, and in between stuff packed. Although I still remember getting a trout casting a floating rapala next to shore by a fallen tree. Thought I had the biggest smallie ever.

I can't wait.

Today was another case of size instead of numbers on Burntside. We've been averaging 2-3 fish per day since opener, but several have been 30 inches or longer. Today's large fish was just over 34 inches, with an estimated weight of 14 lbs.

full-635-9324-big_one.jpg

It was a nice fight for Joyce (pictured above), who had never caught a lake trout before today. Today's lakers came 50-75 feet down over 60-120 FOW. The big one hit a blue/purple/hex chrome trolling spoon behind a downrigger fished 75 feet down over 115 FOW. No fish today on the Jet Diver, just the downriggers.

It was the first time this season I saw lots of fish suspended 30-40 feet down over deeper water, so they were active, but no matter which lure I put behind the 30-foot Jet Diver, none of the high flyers hit it. All the fish came from the deeper presentations. Always a possibility on Bside that suspended fish in water colder than 55 degrees are the few remaining mature whitefish in the lake. Same thing with hooks near the bottom in deep water; those could be lakers, eelpout or whitefish. Hooks just off the bottom in 60 FOW or less could also be smallies or walleyes or, sometimes, pike.

Them ole hooks don't identify themselves, do they? grin

All fish today were gently released to continue growing and offering big fish opportunities to future anglers. smile

I was the netman on one of those one time and F' d it up!! bet you'll never forget that one Steve!

Steve thanks for the pics and report! I need to fish that lake during the summer sometime.

Hey everyone

My dad little brother and a couple friends are heading into basswood via moose lake next Thursday the 16th for the weekend and was wondering if anyone has been into the main lake lately? Any walleye reports mostly depth and presentations/bait would be appreciated. Last year we went in a week later and could only find the sunnies and pikezilla!! going to camp on the south west side of the main lake and hopefully get myself a 30+ incher finally, keeping my fingers crossed.

Also is there a night bight on the main part of the lake its fairly clear water, and the moon should almost be full by next weekend?

So I just got back from basswood main lake. We stayed at the campsite just north of wind bay, it was nice and had tent pads for two possibly three tents, lots of mosquitoes. The fishing was so so caught some nice 8-10inch sunnies by the narrows going into back bay hugged right up next to the bull rush with worms. We found the pike in houst bay in the weeds. Drifted across the bay with spoons, and floated sucker minnows under floats most of the pike were small but got three around ten pounds and one nice fat 42 incher which came of a black and silver spoon. Couldn't find the walleyes tried everywhere and only managed two cigars. The smallmouth we caught were up the lake farther by beaver island next to shore on beds, we would just crews down the shore tell we spotted the sand and we caught them on everything leaches, gulp shiners, and mepps spinners the one thing they wanted was natural colors blacks, silver, gold, wouldn't bite green, yellow, red or odd color. Good luck to everyone going up there its an amazing lake and cant weight to get back up this fall to try and chase some more walleyes.

Thanks for posting. I go up late summer and fall and I would have to agree that it is an amazing lake. Basswood is where I caught my PB walleye 29 1/2" and weighed in at a fat 10lbs.

Glad to hear you had a great time out there. When I was going into Basswood that's the area we concentrated on. Seems like the walleye bite was getting a bit tougher as the years slipped by.

I miss going in there but there's so much to explore around the Ely area that I haven't gone through the hassle and expense to get a permit again. I can still remember heading in, washed with the light of the sunrise and thinking, "Is this for real?". smile

Good luck on your next trip.

That end of the lake seems to be slower for walleyes until the water warms up in July. Then it can be crazy!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey folks. A group of us will be coming up Saturday to the White Iron chain for the first time. We'd like to focus on walleyes and smallies. We'll be staying on Garden.

I've done a bit of research and have noted some popular spots, but am wondering if we should focus on any certain depth or use any specific technique.

Thanks in advance.

DB

• 2 weeks later...

Doonbuggy,

I know this is WAY too late for your trip but the fish were transitioning deeper while you were there. We were up over the week of the 4th and started out doing well on everything in less than 10 feet of water. As the week wore on the fishing faded also. We still saw some fish shallow but they were typically small and inactive. We shifted from lake to lake in the region and it seemed the same way all over the place. Water temps were in the mid-70's.

How did things go for you?

• 2 weeks later...

We didn't fish much for walleyes although I can tell you that the boats I saw fishing were focusing on mid lake humps and on shorelines with steep drops. Assuming leech/crawler rigs. Pressure was nominal.

We had to fish hard and cover ground for smallies, but we found some nice fish. Three presentations were best: topwater, especially around midlake reefs/buoys.

Then we found a school of smallies in some reed stands one day. I assume this was because crayfish were in there and we got those simply on leeches.

The last day the senko bite finally turned on with both 4" and 5" sizes working. Browns and greens were best and these were on shoreline rocks with a decent break. I thought we'd get more around and under docks, but not to be.

Only one dink at 12", otherwise all fish were 14-18.5". Water temp was anywhere from 74-82. I'm going to assume the large pike are in cooler water as we found a fair number of hammer handle pike that were suicidal for topwater baits.

White Iron seemed to have slightly bigger fish on the chain. We caught fish in the wind and on the calm side and at all times of the day.

Beautiful country up there. Lastly, for newcomers, go slow and stay in the channels until you know the lakes a bit. There are lots of rocks and some deadheads that'll take out lower units.

DB

• 2 weeks later...

Burntside yielded decent numbers and excellent size of lake trout in May, June, and early July via trolling, as well as an OK walleye bite, with smallies, of course, all over the place. smile

The last three weeks have seen a falloff in the walleye bite, as well as more difficult conditions for lakers. Part of this is because of the strange and low-pressure-ridden summer we've had, but also because late summer can get a bit tougher for both 'eyes and lakers on Burntside.

Some walleyes have been coming off reefs on slip bobbers and bottom bouncers/slip rigs, with leeches being the best choice for bait. Many of those 'eyes have been small. Lakers have been responding some days to vertical jigging off main lake humps/points, and other days trolling those same areas with spoons.

• 4 weeks later...

Labor Day weekend was the first time I've been back since the 4th of July - way too long. frown

There's a hint of Autumn in the air with the birches yellowing and the cool nights. Patchy frost warnings were out to greet Labor Day but it really wasn't that bad of a morning. I lightly cursed the weather man for giving me a reason to sleep in on what turned out to be the most beautiful morning of the weekend.

Saturday and Sunday were cool, cloudy and breezy. We fished Shags and Farm. Surface temps on Shags were about 70. We raised a few pike but not many. I did have one to the boat that was pushing 10 pounds but the Esox jig pulled out at the net. A perfect release except no pic.

A couple 3 lb smallies hit minnows in 10 ft of water. Lots of fish marked but few biters.

Farm was running about 68 degrees. 1 eater walleye decided a blue back Rapala was a good target in 6 fow. We graphed a lot of lake but few large fish - plenty of smaller stuff. Some more casting in the shallows produced 1 30in pike (released) that looked to be a silver phase, 1 18in smallie (released) and a couple more eater pike to round out fish dinner for the weekend.

It was good to be back. Visions of winter lake trout have begun dancing in my head. smile I started the snowmobiles before coming in tonight.

• 3 months later...

Does anyone have any current ice condition reports for Burntside or Snowbank?? Is it safe for sleds, wheelers or trucks?? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Burntside has about 8 inches in many spots, probably less by the Brownell Island area off the Van Vac Landing.

Looks like ATV or snowmobiles for the trout opener, and be careful.

A cold snap could change this, but I wouldn't think about taking a full size vehicle on it for at least another month.

Great Outdoors,

Thanks for your ice report. I guess I'll keep chasing down the LOTW and Vermilion walleyes until we get some colder weather and more ice. I never was a fan of the "Arctic Plunge". Thanks again.

Bandit155

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone. I have always been looking to catch the biggest and baddest fish I can find and have come to the realization that I must start laker fishing. I have all the gear I need, I think, and have all winter off of work. I live in Ely and am looking for any and all help and info I can get. I am hoping to get out a couple of times this week and would love for someone to let me tag along on a day trip sometime. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you for the link, after all of my searching I hadn't found that thread. What a lot of info to absorb! Now I just need to get on the ice. I think I'll stick to the spear house until it warms a little though... 15 below windchill does not excite me much.

Thats good to know, thanks chaff. My replacement portable should be on its way so hopefully I'll be out soon... for now I'm heading to Grand Rapids to fish with a friend on Canisteo. Maybe I'll have some pics to post tomorrow night.

Good luck. Next time I come up if you're around I'll try and help you but by no means am I an expert. Burntside has a way of humbling people just when you think you know something.

Burntside has a way of humbling people just when you think you know something.

Ain't that the truth. You can go from zero to hero back to zero for no apparent reason.