• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ely - Babbitt Fishing Reports - Lake Conditions Too.

The Bash will go on. Transportation is a question every year, and each year is different. Haveta wait and see for a bit. I do strongly doubt that ATV travel will be a solid option even a few weeks down the road. We're looking at yet another 4-6 inches of snow tomorrow, and the recent cold snap did little to firm up the slush because the insulating layer of snow was too deep.

as of today the road off passi has not been plowed and is in rough shape. there is long stretch of slush on the road. around 15in of ice were i was fishing with no slush. 3 lookers but no takers.

Things haven't changed much over the last week or so on Burntside. Still about a foot of snow over expanses of slush from 2-6 inches deep. There are also expanses without slush, but slush of course forms as soon as you drill a hole.

The warm temps have turned the snow a bit moist and packy, like what you want when building a snowman. The snow is also compacting somewhat because of its own weight, so the coming colder temps will tighten that all up just a bit better than it has been, but it'll still provide enough insulation to retard slush freezing.

We fished a mile off the staked snowmobile trail today. While we did sled through pockets of slush, it was no problem at all to get through them as long as we didn't stop smack dab in the slush. We were not towing anything, but were running light on the snowmobiles. We saw a total of a couple dozen anglers ranging from 100 feet off the trail to 1.5 miles off the trail. Most had towed portables along.

Bottom line is, if you want to fish away from the public landings, you still will need a sled, and you'll still run the risk of getting that sled bogged, but there were plenty of folks fishing out there today well away from the trail.

The trail itself is in very good condition, with occasional pockets of slush in the packed snow, but we had no trouble zipping right through it.

Thanks steve, but how is the fishing? Catching any just would like to now if you left any for us to catch:-). Is it still slow? Or is it starting to get better?

Thanks steve, but how is the fishing? Catching any just would like to now if you left any for us to catch:-). Is it still slow? Or is it starting to get better?

You might want to check the laker fishing report thread. Reading it from beginning to end wouldn't hurt.

• 3 weeks later...

After the meltdown and refreeze, Bside has been a dream to travel, though it's been a bit bumpy for sleds. We're in the process of getting 6-7 inches of new snow right now, which will make sled riding more comfortable but allow ATV and pickup access to continue.

Be very careful with pickups/SUVs to avoid neckdown and shoreline areas. The ice in these places has been very uneven thickness wise because of all the heavy snow and slush we got the first half of the season, and some of today's snow will be drifting into those areas.

Hey Steve,

Read your Trout post. Your willingness to share travel conditions is always appreciated by me. As you said conditions transfer to other lakes though not neccessarily to Winter trails which can change daily. But, all sounds good for a long boarder run this weekend!

Remember the new trout stamp!

My buddy went to Knife last weekend and had no trouble (skiing). Should be good the rest of the season - barring 2 feet of snow!

you can pretty much go anywhere you want on the lakes up there. only hit one area of slush and that was on the north facing shoreline under a TON of drifted snow. fishing was a bit slow.

Hey Steve,

Read your Trout post. Your willingness to share travel conditions is always appreciated by me. As you said conditions transfer to other lakes though not neccessarily to Winter trails which can change daily. But, all sounds good for a long boarder run this weekend!

Remember the new trout stamp!

You don't need a new trout stamp until May 1st! smile

i was just told that the trout stamp expired today. i bought one that is good until feb. 28th 2012.

G.O.

you have any tiny blades for quickstrike rigs?

there is a big pocket of slush to the east of state island out over the main basin. there is hard packed snow on top of about 6-8in of slush. i was lucky that my truck did not get hung up on the hard snow/ice/slush. if my truck was another 2in down i would have been stuck BAD. took some digging and laying down sand to get out. be careful out there.

I ran into 6-8 inches of slush Sunday in tight to the north side of Waters Island as well. Was able to back out and switch to plan B with no problems.

i was out in the middle of the lake when i hit the slush.

Yeah, Mike, your comment you were in the main basin kinda led me to believe you were in the middle of the lake.

They're still driving trucks around Burntside, but the last snowfall and gusting winds have made travel a bit slower due to drifting.

travel is pretty good on burntside. there are areas of deeper snow but nothing that 4wheel drive cant handle.

I was out on the V (on snowmobile) today and a truck got stuck on the way in because the snow was hard when he drove out and soft on the way in after the temps went up... I don't know if those conditions/ snow pack exist on the BSide.. be careful out there.. take your sled save a headache?

I was out on the V (on snowmobile) today and a truck got stuck on the way in because the snow was hard when he drove out and soft on the way in after the temps went up... I don't know if those conditions/ snow pack exist on the BSide.. be careful out there.. take your sled save a headache?

i did not find any drifts that were that high. im sure there are a couple out there tho.

Not drifting I guess just the base of snow on top the ice is what I was refuring to... there is 6-8 inches on most areas of Vermilion I have been on... oh and there is still double ice in spots!

travel was a bit tougher today. got stuck in a drift with around 10in of snow. was not going fast enough and got bogged down. i melted my self into a rut in the ice. could not get any traction on the ice..even with sand. had to jack it up and put boards under the tires. a very nice man that lived up the hill helped a lot. i would have been SOL without him. he said the area where i got stuck is some of the deeper snow he has seen on the lake. same for me. i was heading west from waters towards long island. everywhere else i drove was ok. had to rev the motor up more today to get through some of the deeper snow.

Can I say I told you so? LOL

Sorry to hear you got stuck ... It's no fun.. been there a million times and still learning

yea....you told me so casey. smile i was thinking about what you said after i got stuck. i learned a couple things out there.

sorry to pick on you but I just couldn't resist! I got my truck stuck in slush a few weeks ago and had to let it freeze in over night to get it out... no fun! live and learn