• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ely - Babbitt Fishing Reports - Lake Conditions Too.

In my travels pike fishing in N.D., Minn., and Wis., crabshack, I've found this 4:1 to be true whether experimenting by myself or fishing alongside others.

My theory is this: Among active, neutral and negative pike, it's the active pike that will tackle live bait most readily. Neutral fish once in awhile, negative fish pretty much not at all. So on a very active pike day, live bait and dead bait are close to even, with a bit of an edge toward dead. But most days aren't like that, and I've found that neutral/negative fish are far more likely to eat a dead bait.

So if active fish will take either live or dead, and neutral/negative fish prefer dead, why even fool with live bait? That's been my philosophy the last 4-5 years, and it has worked out well.

In the places I fish, 30 flags with 2 tip-ups is a very good day, 20 flags about average, and a dozen flags would be on the low end.

Of anglers in the three states, Minnesotans in particular seem to have a very longstanding and stubborn attachment to live suckers for winter pike (well, live suckers were illegal bait in N.D. when I was fishing there.) Convincing those folks there are other (and better) options, has been quite an uphill battle. I've actually seen guys in the bar come to blows over it. crazy

Me, I'm a peaceful fella who just wants to fish. smile

If I have a 30 flag day with two tip ups based off of you're advice steve, which would probably be the best day of fishing ever for me for anything bigger than bluegills, you're going to have a dinner and a cold beer waiting for you at the Ely Steak House!!

seriously, I really appreciate the help.

will definitely be telling some other folks how good of people there are on this site

smelt for pike...i tried it on winnie couldnt get a bite on it

had one close to the bottom another maybe couple feet off

couldnt get a bite...while we did get some on suckers

i just had them on a quick strike rig

is there a presentation better than another

or a size I'd say these where 5-7 inches

I have to agree with Steve on this one. I've fished for northerns and lake trout in the Ely area for over 30 years and when fished head to head, have ALWAYS done better with ciscos - hands down. For lakers, a favorite trick is to step on it and squash it out a bit before putting it into the water. I think the smell travels better that way. And, as an added benefit, it's a lot easier to haul ciscos around, especially if headed by skis into Basswood or Knife or where ever.

anyone ever fish parent or disappointment lake(s)?

Is it worth my while to ski over there one day or would I be just as well to stay on Snowbank?

Parent used to be a GREAT walleye lake, but I haven't caught a walleye in there in the last 25 years. Lots of big smallies, but not worth a ski. Disappointment on the other hand has a fantastic walleye population and northern numbers and size. I've not fished it for walleyes through the ice, but have done well with northerns in the winter at the first narrows, eastern most side.

Crab, check out the threads regarding smelt and ciscoes, if you haven't already. We got some new regs on them here in Minnesota you want to be aware of.

Crab, check out the threads regarding smelt and ciscoes, if you haven't already. We got some new regs on them here in Minnesota you want to be aware of.

who needs bait when you're fishing with guns? (please note the sarcasm)

I was actually just reading through that a while ago. looks like all I need to find is a licensed bait dealer and I'm good to go. we were planning on fishing shiners, suckers, and cisco's so I think I'm in the clear as long as I get them from the right place. I will probably be picking up bait in Ely to start on the way through, then reloading at Smitty's if need be.

crab, I don't think all bait dealers will be carrying the new preserved smelt or cisco. I know Great Outdoors in Ely will have them in a few days, and have been told that Babe's Bait and Tackle will be stocking them. Just Bite Me Bait in Babbitt has them now, which is were I got my current supply. You might call ahead to Smitty's and see if they'll be carrying them.

I would like to get out and do some fishing on burntside, can anyone give me some info...ice thickness, reports? thanks in advance.

Burntside Lake totally locked up on Tuesday morning, so there isn't much ice.

The East and West ends had ice about a week earlier.

It's currently snowing, so give it a few weeks and there should be a good 4-6 inches everywhere, without some unforeseen circumstance.

Hey all:

We're going to establish four or five geographical regions within the area covered by this forum for ongoing fishing, ice and water conditions reports. That'll keep them all in one thread, which will get very long, but will also serve over time as an encyclopedia of a set of lakes.

So please post any ice condition, water condition, fishing reports or inquiries about those things for Ely-Babbitt area lakes in this thread. Over time, we'll be moving existing threads into this one.

Thanks!

Fished Birch today for pike. VERY slow day. Not a single flag this morning. Eight flags on the day with four tip-ups out. Two tips had rehydrated processed cisco, two had saltwater herring. All flags came on the herring. The herring were the larger size (7-8 inches) bought this morning from Great Outdoors. Fish were running small today, ranging from 21 to 30 inches.

was out on shagawa for a couple hours today. no fish. found 10-11in of ice. full sized trucks were driving out to the north side of sandy point. i found 10in of ice on the west side of sandy point. thats not enough for me to drive my truck out there. be safe and please pick up you trash. found a lot of trash tonight in one spot. some people are just plain lazy. please dont be those people. do it for the fish.

Will be fishing a few smaller lakes north of babbitt tomarow. Hopeing to catch a few walleyes to start the season out!!!!!!

Fished a lake north of babbit and prolly caught 150 bluegills. They were biting pretty good!! caught 1 38 inch northern on a tip up and few smaller ones. Bear island prolly had 8 inches of good clear ice and 2 inches of slush ice. Didnt do to good on there so we went to a smaller lake near by and hammered them!

No pike action AT ALL this morning on Birch. No flags until after 11:30. Ended up with only three pike on the day on four flags. All pike in the slot, largest 34 inches. Had a group of 4-6 park themselves 50 yards away, spinning cookies in their trucks/cars, ripping their sleds all over the place, and hollering and partying. Usually those folks are about 1/2 mile away, but today they decided they were going to grace me with their presence. I just shrugged my shoulders and watched the show. Figured it was my turn, or something.

Guess that might have something to do with how few flags flew this afternoon. frown

On the other hand, they of course pulled out by 3:30, and I was able to ice two nice waldos (17 and 20 inches) on tip-ups about 5 p.m., which are freshly cleaned and waiting for the oil to heat.

I honestly didn't expect a lot out of today anyway, with the skies clearing after 2-3 days of spitting snow and clouds.

I'm taking my family up to Ely for a few days before New Year and we're staying at the Grand Ely Lodge on Shagawa.

Any advice/reports? My older son is almost 5 so I won't have long to find some action! Thanks in advance.

I get to fish Shagawa fairly often as my in-laws live in ely.

I've never done great on the lake, but always hook into something.

In winter, almost all off the eyes i've caught were on rattle reel/tipup using a minnow.

I'm taking my family up to Ely for a few days before New Year and we're staying at the Grand Ely Lodge on Shagawa.

Any advice/reports? My older son is almost 5 so I won't have long to find some action! Thanks in advance.

I've been working up in ely a lot and have heard some locals saying walleyes have been biting good by switch ditch or something like that they call it. Its where warm water gets put into the lake. idk if its a power plant of water treatment plant or what, but thats where the walleyes are.

I've been working up in ely a lot and have heard some locals saying walleyes have been biting good by switch ditch or something like that they call it. Its where warm water gets put into the lake. idk if its a power plant of water treatment plant or what, but thats where the walleyes are.

And you call yourself the Ely Lake Expert??? whistleconfused

grincool

And you call yourself the Ely Lake Expert??? whistleconfused

grincool

ya, I grew up on Ely lake by Eveleth. Not in Ely, mn. Didn't think about that when i made the sn.

Stinky Ditch is one of the perennial early ice OK spots on Shag. So it Sandy Point, and a handful of other points, saddles and breaklines in many areas. Stinky Ditch got its name for a good reason. Many locations that produce fish this time of year of Shags don't have names, and they are the same types of walleye structure you see all over Minnesota.

One hint. There is more than one current area on Shags. Ice isn't as safe by those creek/river inflows and outflows, so take care. When in doubt, go West, young man. wink