• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ely - Babbitt Fishing Reports - Lake Conditions Too.

Originally Posted By: caseymcq
I am a novice laker fisherman

Right. Kiss my what? gringrin

laughlaughlaughlaughlaugh

That one was in all seriousness. I just haven't put the time into it. I am still on the steep side of the learning curve. I spend a lot more time looking over the lake trout posts because I can get more than I can contribute at this point. Now rock bass on Birch Lake, I could show a lot of people a thing or two. grin

I am going to look for a Thursday for my people to schedule, probably be in the mid to latter part of March. Hopefully the martinis at lunch don't run a muck, I may have to go Donald Trump on them otherwise.

Originally Posted By: Steve Foss
Leave it to Maki to put you on a spot that is proven to land 19 inch lakers. winkwink

I think you and I need a day out on the lake together, Irishman. Call it a mandate. smilesmile

Better landing 19 inch lakers than no lakers. I am a novice laker fisherman... I'll take what I can get. grin I have a good bit more time to put in before I am into the same league as you big-tine laker guys.

And thank you... the "mandate" bit made me laugh out loud. I would definitely be up for fishing with you. I always have a good time. Let me find some time I can shoot for taking a day off in the middle of the week and I will have my people call your people. grin

Be careful Casey, he's just setting you up and wants to know where Maki reef is!! laugh

Once he finds out, you won't be able to blow him off there with 100 lbs of C4 gringringrin

made it out with lee lane today. he caught a nice 31iner with in the first half hour of fishing. he lost another nice one. no more fish after that. lots of big marks on the vex. i left before him...he was going to fish one more spot...maybe he stuck another pig. it was WINDY today. im heading back out tomorrow.

Cool! That's probably a 10 lber. Hope you pop a big 'un tomorrow, Mike. You've put in a lot of time after the pigs.

...... probably? whistlewink

I think it's pretty safe to assume that MOST lakers topping the 30 inch mark hit at least 10lbs. No?

I know I've seen 28 inchers top 9 lbs and they weren't THAT fat. Fat, yes, but not that fat.

Congrats on a sweet morning!

...... probably? whistlewink

I think it's pretty safe to assume that MOST lakers topping the 30 inch mark hit at least 10lbs. No?

Yes. That's what I said, that it was likely a 10. We agree on that. We just each said it our own way. I said it was probably a 10, and you said most Bside lakers over 30 inches would go 10. Same message with different words.

Most Bside 30 inchers with average girth weigh in about 9 lbs. And FWIW, I try not to assume anything. When I do, it often makes an A$$ out of me. gringrin

Yes. That's what I said, that it was likely a 10.

No, you said it was probably. Likely would confidently assume that there is a very good chance, where probably means that it's probable but not very confident. laughwink <------ SARCASM!

Sorry, I went there only because it seems like you always take my post as I'm trying to start a debate with you. I'm not!

The only reason I stated that was that I feel that 99% of the time a 31 inch fish is most definitely a 10'lber, without a doubt. To me, your post didn't seem like you were too confident that it WAS a 10.

Carry on with the reports! laugh

I heard it was caught on Pea Soup Lake!

It is a well known fact that isn't widely recognize by many people and accepted by a vast minority that it is one of Minnesota's trophy waters.

there's a real nice scale out on the eastside ice. we dropped it there the last time out. i went crasy trying to find it to weigh the pig. latter, after the pig was released, and after settling down some i realized that we had caught a great fish and released her be the next guys great day. whatever she weighed, i'm sure she will weigh more next time. maybe my time! see ya at the bash. by the way, foss when did you meet mrs mikesdad. don't get me all parinoid!!!

by the way, nice fish lee. it's sound like you got a hold of the laker thing. that's a thing most of us haven't experienced. Time and just plain subborness will get some us there. congtrats.

Keep the reports coming!!! Less than a month now until I get to Bside for the first time.

Hopes are high, but realistic!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Very, very nice colors in that fish! And keep the shore line pic's coming! smile

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I recognize the location.

Looks like the Ranger's tracks in the snow on the 1st one wink

Is that because you showed him where to fish? Or you left that spot to early before they started biting? smile

Looks like the Ranger's tracks in the snow on the 1st one wink

Considering how you've hopscotched all over the darn lake this last month with your track attack, the surprising thing is that ANYONE can take a photograph on Bside without your tracks in the pic. gringringrin

Those pictures are making me want to leave today for my trip out with you Steve! I think I just turned my trip into a three day trip instead of a two day, man I have a great wife!

Those pictures are making me want to leave today for my trip out with you Steve! I think I just turned my trip into a three day trip instead of a two day, man I have a great wife!

The addiction continues! smilesmile

Well, it was no barnburner today on Burntside, but it was a gorgeous day to be on the ice. Woke up to a forecast calling for 25 degrees, clouds and snow flurries and wouldn't you know we got sun all day and temps well above freezing. No wind, either. Did NOT suck to be on the ice today.

We ended up with two fish, a 1.5 and the 6 lber pictured. One of the prettiest and most flawless fish I've seen in awhile. Neither one had a clipped fin (I'm now up to 38 fish this season between myself and clients, and only 6 have had clipped fins).

Both fish came on spoons. The eater came on a Do-Jigger, the bigger fish on a Slender. We had some other fish come in we couldn't get to go, and we missed two on the tip-ups. They hit live light pike suckers, and in both cases dropped them.

Biggest fish of the day was this pic of Jim Maki (Great Outdoors on the forums) driving his girlfriend around in what I call the Maki Monstrosity or the Maki Traki. gringringrin

Makiweb.jpg

Glenn6.jpg

planeweb.jpg

Jim Maki (Great Outdoors on the forums) driving his girlfriend around in what I call the Maki Monstrosity or the Maki Traki. gringringrin

Makiweb.jpg

LMAO!!

Stevo,

I showed my girlfriend the picture along with your comment.

If anyone has a trip booked to fish with Steve, try to move up the date before he is "no longer with us!"

This will be about 10 seconds after I point him out to her! gringringringrin

Afterwards,I'll try to get pictures of the crime scene from the Coroner, and post them on the forum! laugh

RIP Bro smile

I've had a couple ex-wives wishing I was dead before, Jimmy, and I'm still hanging around. Maybe I'll luck out and avoid getting knifed by your lady. gringringrin

On another note, we're looking at 1-4 inches of new snow overnight here tonight. We've had lots of warm sunny weather that has somewhat melted and compacted the 10 inches of snow we've had on the lake, so I expect pickups will still be able to get around.

I'm planning on being on the lake tomorrow (fingers crossed), and will post a snow report if I go.