• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What a great day on the lake yesterday!

I was greeted by a God's Country sunrise that words or pictures could not describe. Simply breathtaking.

I popped about 10 holes and planned on jumping around different depths to see if there was any sort of pattern.

A couple of weeks ago I was watching a Butch Furtman program and they were having great success using plain old gumball and whistler jigs. So my plan was to try using a ReelBait flasher jig tipped with a shiner. Unfortunately, I was unable to get any shiners in Tower, so I ended up tipping it with a 3" Pike Sucker minnow instead.

p044044sq02.jpg

Well I dropped the rig down the first hole, and my bait didn't last 5 minutes down there, and here comes a nice red band screamin up to my bait. Fish ON!

002-1.jpg

Unlike some others, I really enjoy the taste of Lake Trout, and being as that I don't get up often, I was hoping to take a couple home to eat. Well keeping this fish now posed a big dilemma. If I caught another "keeper", I was done for the day. So my plan was that I had a slot from 20-27" anything outside goes back so I can keep fishing, anything in the slot, and I was done.

So I spent the next couple of hours bouncing around from hole to hole and marked a few fish, and decided to take a seat in the truck have some lunch, and wouldn't you know it as soon as I tore into my pastrami and rye, I look over and my flag is up! I quickly get out and get over to it, but I wasn't quick enough as the fish and bait were both gone mad

I then finished up my sandwich and headed back out. I decided to make a move and go shallower.

About 10 minutes at the shallow spot and I had a fish take a run and miss my bait, as I set the hook on nothing, and quickly tried to get it back down and here it comes again, and this time hit it good, but missed the hook and got the bait instead. So I ran over and got another and feverishly peel line off my baitcaster to get it back down. Not only did the fish come back up, but now he had 3 buddies with him racing up to it. Fastest fish wins laugh Fish On!

Well it wasn't the biggest fish and fell in the under category in my personal slot at 19", but to my dismay, the fish was hooked pretty deep and I just didn't think it was OK to let it go, so at 12:30, my day was done frown

So I packed up my stuff and walked over to chat with another local that was out there and to ask if he wanted my unopened package of Ciscos. We had a nice chat, and I found out that he spent quite a few hours on the lake this year and hadn't caught a Laker yet. So I strongly suggested that he bounce around on all the holes I had drilled and particularly the hole I just saw 3 fish in.

I seriously couldn't have ordered a better day off a menu. Partly sunny, no wind, upper twenties for temp, manageable snow cover, and to top it off, just before I got back to my folks house, I had a big Gray Wolf meander out in front of me and we just sat and looked at each other for about 5 minutes, then he trotted off. smile

What a relaxing weekend, and I wish I would've had a couple more days to spend up there. For those of you fortunate to be right next to action, you are lucky SOB's laugh

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steve Foss

• Mike Stark

• Great Outdoors

• Wanderer

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wanted to provide a follow-up report for all interested. In a word...tough. Got to the campground on Friday with a huge wind coming off the lake from the SW. Got set-up just before the rains came.

We had an incredible trip last year in the BWCA. Smallmouth action was the best I've seen it. The best that time of year were poppers, jerk baits, and wacky worms. Here's a video I put together of the

also thanks mark...I wont ever give up hope...just thinking about some of the bigger class fish that Ive been catching in the last few years on b-side and what the bands looked like on my flasher in relation to their size and the size of some of the huge bands Ive seen at times wich were twice the size of the bands of the biggest fish Ive caught up there tells me theres gottaa be a half way decent and atleast fishable population of 15 lb plus fish. The biggest Ive seen was opening weekend this year over east of blueberry on some island I dont know the name of. My wife was fishing a cliff where it was 35 ft but you could only read 25 ft down cuz of the steep cliff and she yelled she had interference on her unit so I went over to look and I seen a pulsating comet with smaller bands below it that had to have been the tail portion of the fish when it was coming up ....when I told her that was a fish she raised up her bait and it chased but slower than a normal laker then just disappeared all together . it took up at least 3 ft on her flasher screen not counting the smaller trailing bands below it. If I had to speculate Id say it was a laker well over 20 lbs but without catching it , Its nothing more than a tall tale!

Good story dtro.....I feel that way even when I do take a skunking up there ...its one of the only places I can get nuthin and still feel good about my trip. Also we had 5 wolves run across the ice way north of waters in one of them bays one morning and on the way up earlier seen 2 wolves on the ice on a lake right off the highway...robinson i think it was.

I was up there on Fri and Sat. Like dtro said, conditions were about perfect. I never even set-up my portable. It was nice to be outside and enjoy the scenery.

Fishing was slower for me. I got 2 lake trout on Friday; a little guy on a tip-up, which I tossed back, then a decent fish about 4 pounds that ended up on the dinner table. The second fish hit when I stopped jigging to clean slush out of the hole. Saturday I got 3 flags, I only hooked 1 fish, which I lost when my line broke. That was a 1st for me, I hope it doesn't happen again.

A good day indeed, Darren. Thanks for sharing the report. smilesmile

Thanks to everyone here for sharing their reports and conditions (including a couple emails offline from Steve). You saved me a Ton of time and energy!

Mike Stark

nice work dtro...they use those reel bait flashers up on the red river of the north..i have a box full of them...might have to give them a try sometime...thanks for the report.

Great Outdoors

dtro,

We may be fortunate to live in the area, but look at what you have.

You get to take a nice leisurely drive for several hours, relax to the music on the radio, enjoy the roadside sights,& think about fishing.

I, on the other hand, go into the garage, get into the Ranger (with fold out fish house attached to the box, heated cab and doors)drive down a long, one block hill, onto Burntside Lake.

Way too fast to enjoy the travel experience!!

Gosh, I envy you! gringringringringringrin

Great Outdoors

I was out one day last week, a few lookers, but ziltch!!!!

Wanted to get out earlier today, but have to run into Ely for an appointment.

After that's done, think I'll stop at the shop, clean out the tanks, check the mail, then head out for an afternoon try, hopefully 12-4.

Boy you got it tough G.O

Next time I make the drive I’ll think about you and sympathize as I’m casually shouting at the guy in front of me that has never been introduced to the term “cruise control” and the soothing feeling I get by watching my gas gauge drop like a rock, from town to town, not to mention all the therapeutic packing/unpacking that is involved.

I don’t know how you do it.

laugh

Great Outdoors

dtro

I don't know how I do it either!! confused

Guess after a while, it just becomes automatic, and don't think about it. frown

Perhaps I'll head out now for about 3-4 hours to see if I can catch a laker.

DANG, I hate those grueling 10 minute drives for fishing!!!!!! gringringringringrin

sounds like I'll get to try laker fishing for the first time this week. Any tips? It seems like a daunting endevor..where to start? What baits and set ups would you reccommend starting out with?

Move often if you can deal with it or make sure your in a good spot. Even a bad spot on b-side has the potential to produce fish.

jig hard! and dont give up!

+1!

None of the easy little lift-fall, lift-fall walleye stuff for Bside lakers. Jig sharp, jig often, jig hard. Commotion brings in lakers. Doesn't always trigger them, but you can't trigger them if you don't bring them in, and there are a handful of pretty successful Bside triggering techniques. And be sure that, while you are jigging loudly, you are carrying a softspoken tip-up nearby to tempt the fish that come in hot to the lure but won't close the sale. winkwink

Running and gunning vs sitting on a proven spot for a whole day? Both styles produce fish. It's really more a matter of personal preference and confidence than tactics. If you feel strongly one way is better than the other, then you'll be more confident pursuing your belief, and confidence increases concentration, which increases your catch.

... Running and gunning vs sitting on a proven spot for a whole day? ...

Six one way, half a dozen the other. grin

You never know when one will be swimming by. I have spent all day in a spot to have a fish finaly hit 30 minutes before sunset.

I have had fish hit within 5 minutes of being in a spot.

Total crapshoot.

Depends on if you want the scenery to change grin

Please keep the pictures coming, I have a feeling I will be fishing Burntside vicariously through you guys this winter laughlaughlaughlaugh

Please keep the pictures coming, I have a feeling I will be fishing Burntside vicariously through you guys this winter laughlaughlaughlaugh

Lots more pics and in-depth reports on locations/tactics on Bside lakers in the HSO Club/Premium forum, Casey. If you can free up a day a week or two in advance to head up this way, drop me a line and we'll see if we can make a Bside trip happen. You gotta be going through a bit of withdrawal these days. smilesmile

But considering how close you are to the Gunflint Trail now, you can drive in that direction and hit any of a number of excellent laker lakes in the time it would take you to hit Bside.

... You gotta be going through a bit of withdrawal these days. smilesmile

I'm doing... smiley40.gif ... alright...

I will probably take you up on that offer one of these weeks.

I will have to make my way up the Trail and hit some of those lakes for some different scenery... let me know if you ever want to head out to some other water.

I will have to make my way up the Trail and hit some of those lakes for some different scenery... let me know if you ever want to head out to some other water.

There are already some loose plans in that direction, though nothing has been finalized. Shoot me an e-mail and we can talk about it.

And there's always an RABC and Lac la Croix. winkwink

Wanderer

I looked at Lac La Croix tonight on the map. I also remember someone commenting that you have to be on the Canadian side to access by snowmobile.

How are you thinking of getting in there?

Also, I have rellies in Buyck. Not too far from Crane Lake, which isn't too far from Namakan. Any comments to the fishing in Namakan? I don't even know if it has trout. It would be a nice weekend to stay with them and see if I could expose them to this disease. wink

Mike Stark

got skunked today....missed a nice fish and marked a few others..started off the morning fishing for smaller fish...then in the afternoon was targeting big fish...this is when i got the hit but missed it....meet up with foss towards the end of the day...it was a nice day on the ice

started off the morning fishing for smaller fish

Huh? confused

I've caught several of my largest Bside lakers in the same spots I catch smaller fish. smilesmile

Good hooking up with you today, Mike. Good luck out there again tomorrow. smilesmile

Mike Stark

the area that i started off fishing i was more likely to catch eaters with a chance at a big fish...where i ended tends to hold only big lakers. first spot has more action...second spot not as much action but it only takes one pig to make things interesting. another reason i said i was fishing for smaller fish was because of the size of lure i was using. when im targeting bigger fish i use bigger lures.

hopefully red rock has a ducer for me....and hopefully they have a dual beam...i figure if im getting a new one i might as well pay the extra 20 bucks for the dual.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  On the lake, the focus is on the May 15, 2021 Fishing Opener for walleyes.  There is much optimism as fishing in the Rainy River this spring was excellent and reports of good fishing from the spring season on the lake was also good.
      The limit for walleyes and saugers during the open season is a combined limit of six fish, up to four of the six can be walleyes.  There is a slot limit in which all walleyes 19.5 - 28.0 inches must be released.  One can be kept over 28 inches.  
      Pike anglers are still catching fish in back bays. The pike season is open year-round on LOW and the Rainy River.    
      On the Rainy River...   Sturgeon anglers are enjoying catch and release through 5/15/21.  Closed 5/16/21 - 6/30/21.  Harvest season opens up again on 7/1/21 - 9/30/21.
      Good numbers of sturgeon have been running in the Rapid River near Clementson just east of Baudette this past week.  These fish are incredible to see up close, but are also very much protected and respected.
      Anglers looking to this weekend and the opener.  Typically, there is some good walleye fishing in the river early in the season, such as this weekend.
      Up at the NW Angle...  A few anglers fishing pike in back bays but most looking forward to the May 15th fishing opener.  The go to walleye spots come the opener will be shoreline and island structure and underwater points.  The technique, a jig and a minnow!
      With the Canada border still closed, there are many ways to get up to the Angle.  The LOW Passenger Service, charter boat shuttle service from the south end, is open and running.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service out of Baudette and other locations.  

• MNwild21
      By MNwild21
      I will be in the area camping in a couple of weeks. Wondering if these two lakes are any good for shore fishing for kids. Been trying to do research but there hasn't been much update on the lakes! Would love to catch a few trout for the kids to enjoy. Any tip/advice would be great thanks!!
    • Mata Eveleth
      By Mata Eveleth
      Illegal entry into CANADA. If you fish the boundary waters Minnesota and Canada. and you usually cross imaginary boundary between Canada and Minnesota DO NOT DO THAT THIS YEAR. I am goin go trip to Crane Lake 22nd-29th of May 2021. Looked into buying non resident 8 day to cross boundary to fish in Canada have been doing it for years. Well if you cross that boundary today your truck, boat, trailer will be confiscated and you and anyone else in boat with will be detained. Also there are HUGE fines with this criminal entry illegal entry into Canada. If you have your doubts you can call  U.S. Border Patrol International Falls Minnesota at 218-285-3423 or the U.S. Customs and Border Protection International Falls Minnesota at 218-283-2541 and last Canada Border Services Agency...at 800-461-9999. There is no mention of this in Minnesota's DNR Fishing Regs for 2021. I am afraid there might be a lot of people unaware of this.. I was not until I did a little digging and made some phone calls.. ok be safe out there.. 
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Pike anglers catching fish in back bays. Deadbait on a quick strike rig under a bobber, spoons, spinnerbaits and crankbaits are the go to presentations.  The pike season is open year-round on LOW and the Rainy River.    
      The pike limit is 3 fish per day, 30-40 inches must be released, one over 40" allowed.  Most practice catch and release with a nice photo on big fish, and there are a lot of big pike being caught.
      On the Rainy River...   Sturgeon anglers looking to keep a sturgeon have through May 7th.  After that catch and release kicks in again.  Catch and release 5/8/21 - 5/15/21.  Closed 5/16/21 - 6/30/21.  Harvest season, 7/1/21 - 9/30/21.
      A 3-5 ounce no-roll sinker combined with a sturgeon rig (18" snell of 60 lb test with a 4/0 or 5/0 circle hook) with a glob of crawlers, frozen emerald shiners or both is the most common setup.  
      Good numbers of fish, all size ranges, being caught.  Sturgeon have been active.
      Up at the NW Angle...  A few anglers fishing pike in back bays but most looking forward to the May 15th fishing opener.  The go to walleye spots come the opener will be shoreline and island structure and underwater points.  The technique, a jig and a minnow!
      With the Canada border still closed, there are many ways to get up to the Angle.  The LOW Passenger Service, charter boat shuttle service from the south end, is open and running.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service out of Baudette and other locations.  

• CJH
      By CJH
      Anybody been out or heard any water temps on the Le Homme Dieu Chain?  The weather has been so up and down, kind of curious where they are at.  

Thanks much!!
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Most attention right now is with sturgeon and pike with anglers looking forward to the May 15th walleye opener.  The pike season is open year-round on LOW and the Rainy River.  Backwater areas and back bays are all over LOW and the Rainy River and are where pike are being caught.  Deadbait on a quick strike rig under a bobber, spoons, spinnerbaits and crankbaits are all working.  
      The pike limit is 3 fish per day, 30-40 inches must be released, one over 40" allowed.  Most practice catch and release with a nice photo on big fish, and there are a lot of big pike being caught.
      On the Rainy River...   Sturgeon fishing is in full swing and fishing is good.  Now through May 7th is the sturgeon harvest season (45-50", or over 75")  Catch and release 5/8/21 - 5/15/21.  Closed 5/16/21 - 6/30/21.  Harvest season, 7/1/21 - 9/30/21.
      A 3-5 ounce no-roll sinker combined with a sturgeon rig (18" snell of 60 lb test with a 4/0 or 5/0 circle hook) with a glob of crawlers, frozen emerald shiners or both is the ticket.  Local bait shops / resorts have rigs and bait available.
      Find a deeper spot or hole in a stretch of the river, anchor up and still fish the bottom.  Your bait sends a scent trail the sturgeon will find!  Some huge sturgeon being caught in excess of 70 inches.  
      Up at the NW Angle...  The NW Angle is ice free and everyone is looking forward to the May 15th fishing opener.  There are many ways to access Angle resorts.  The LOW Passenger Service, charter boat shuttle service from the south end, is open and running.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service out of Baudette and other locations.  A complete list of lodging and fishing packages available in Baudette, on the Rainy River, around Lake of the Woods and up at the NW Angle at www.fishingminnesota.com/Lodging

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Lake of the Woods is ice free!  Walleye anglers are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener on May 15th.  Based on the big fish in the Rainy River this spring, there is a lot of excitement!
      The pike season is open year-round on LOW and the Rainy River.  Backwater areas and back bays are where pike spawning activity is taking place.  The pike limit is 3 fish per day, 30-40 inches must be released, one over 40" allowed.  Most practice catch and release with a nice photo on big fish, and there are a lot of big pike being caught.
      On the Rainy River...   The spring walleye season closed with good success.  Despite varying clarity and some spring rains pushing debris into the water, hearty walleye anglers still pulled some very good fish last week.  Now looking toward the walleye opener.  
      Sturgeon fishing this past week was excellent.  Sturgeon of all sizes being caught which bodes well for the health of the fishery which is very strong.  Sturgeon catch and release season through 4/23/21.  Keep season 4/24/21 - 5/7/21, (45-50", or over 75")  Catch and release 5/8/21 - 5/15/21.  Closed 5/16/21 - 6/30/21.  Harvest season, 7/1/21 - 9/30/21.
      A 4-6 ounce no-roll sinker combined with a sturgeon rig (18" snell of 60 lb test with a 4/0 or 5/0 circle hook) with a glob of crawlers, frozen emerald shiners or both is the ticket.  Local bait shops / resorts have rigs and bait available.
      Find a deeper spot or hole in a stretch of the river, anchor up and still fish the bottom.  Your bait sends a scent trail the sturgeon will find!
      Up at the NW Angle...  The NW Angle is ice free and everyone is looking forward to the May 15th fishing opener.  There are many ways to access Angle resorts.  The LOW Passenger Service, charter boat shuttle service from the south end, is open and running.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service out of Baudette and other locations.  

• BigTrucka
      By BigTrucka
      Hey all, just moved back to MN where I grew up after living in the PNW for a long while. I became addicted to fishing rivers and streams out there and have started to check out the offerings in the NW section of the state as of yesterday’s opener. Wondering if anyone has experience in this area and can give me some pointers or just tell me if I’m wasting my time since that’s what I’m wondering right now since I didn’t find any signs of fish. I’m using a spinning rod with Mepp’s and Panther Martin style spinners and went through a bunch of color combos. I started yesterday morning at the Clearwater River in western Beltrami County essentially on the border with Clearwater County where the state has some land and a pretty lengthy easement. Probably a well known area. Beautiful area to walk through. Found multiple holes, but yeah no fish at all. I waded for a bit and decided to leave. I went south since I live closer to Moorhead and stopped at Felton Creek. I’ve read a DNR study about this creek having a decreasing population of fish, but it’s still considered a trout stream although not “designated”. I understand the channelization of creeks in this region ruined fish habitat over the last 100 years, but still find some DNR material as of the last 5 years that reference Felton Creek as a spot for trout. Walked the stream for a bit before I left and headed to Lawndale Creek south of Barnesville. I waded through the AMA on the Atherton WMA expecting to find some brook trout since the DNR has stocked it as of at least 2017. Nothing through the entire stretch besides frogs and minnows. Are there actually fish in these places? The Clearwater and Lawndale are designated trout streams. The Clearwater is stocked annually and Lawndale is supposed to have wild brook trout. Anyone have any experience in these spots? Should’ve just drove down MN200 & 71 to the obvious spots in Becker/Hubbard?
    • SkunkedAgain
      By SkunkedAgain
      Someone had to kick things off.

I caught some shrimp at the grocery store over the weekend. I'm hoping to see some spawning walleye this weekend. Who knows where they will be in a month when we are all allowed to actually fish for them!
    • Coleman
      By Coleman
      Has anyone been on the water of areas lakes?  Kinda curious what the water temps are hovering around?  
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• gimruis
      Absolutely.  Although they are technically considered a "rough fish" by the DNR, they play a critical role as a food source for many game fish.  In lakes and rivers that lack tulibees, they are often the top forage for muskies too.  Additionally, they are native to our state whereas the carp species which look similar, are not.
    • SkunkedAgain
      Thanks, I definitely will check those guys out.
    • SkunkedAgain
      I remember counting just shy of 50 boats in Black Bay around Memorial Day last weekend. It's more than I've ever seen even at Fishing Opener when the spawn is timed perfectly.   What I love about Black Bay is that once the walleye and crappie runs finish up in the spring, the fishing pressure calms way down.
    • DonkeyHodey
      Brag Alert***:  Got a PB white sucker.  With tail pinched it was just at 26 inches.   1.)  This Fish is almost certainly a post spawn female (she was pretty flattened out in the egg section).  probably 20-30 years old (maybe more). 2.)  A big fish drops ~10,000 eggs per spawn (give or take 5000).  With that said, this lovely lady has probably (through her babies) directly provided >200,000 fish meals for the predatory fish (and birds) in the river. 3.)  Many of her offspring will have grown up to spawn and continue the process;  If a mere 5 of her babies grew to spawn for 20 years then Statistically >1 million baby suckers will have come from her to feed the game fish in the Mississippi river!  However, playing the statistics/numbers game:  if ~0.1% of her babies grow to spawn and their babies (with a similar 0.1% chance) grow to spawn, you are looking at 100 million baby suckers descended from this one fish!   Next time you catch a nice plump Smallie or Wally in the river, realize that they grow and thrive because of "grocery getters" like this.    Preachy Alert***--Too many "fisherman" think these are trash fish and fail to recognize their critical role in a healthy fishery...  NEVER throw these on the shore! (notwithstanding the fact that it's also illegal...)
    • Muskyhunter73
      Cliff was guiding last year. Did he retire this year?
    • Pat McGraw
      Getting so excited for 2021 walleye season!  
    • CigarGuy
      Ya, not much you can do about it. Still enough lake to get away from most of the crowds. My son and buddies will be all weekend, we'll be following each other around. They're were about 12 boats in Black Bay last night and didn't have to play bumper boats.
    • leech~~
      Might be able to do some shore fishing by the boat launch on near by Trout Lake as well.  Good Luck!  
    • gimruis
      With Canada closed and the covid crowd still out there in force, even a far northern MN lake is going to see added pressure now.
    • jkrash
      Go talk to Bill at the parts store in Cook, he has a shop behind Northwoods auto.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.