• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

Fishing Report Clubs - Make Your Own "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"!

Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see detailed info that is shared. CLICK HERE to join.

Have Fun!!!

WalleyeChamp

SHED HUNTING THREAD - PICs INCLUDED

lungdeflator

Nice way to go! We should have a competition for the smallest shed found

MJ1657

Great looking dog shedaddict. Glad she found one for you.!

jkcmj

I got out for a couple of hours this evening, but only came up with one small one. #22 for the season.

04051117201.jpg

shedaddict

This is definitely the oldest and most chewed antler I've found. There's still quite a bit of snow on my Uncle's farm in Polk County, WI, but this was laying under a pine tree. I was walking a neighboring property, and it was pretty evident nobody walked this before because this one was really sticking out.

The shed is right behind the rubbed tree.

CIMG3864.JPG

CIMG3867.JPG

matchset

thats a dinosaur shed!

TonkaBass

Got a couple last night after work. Makes 26 total. One of these days I will pust up some pics

leech~~

Q's, do you think you find more Sheds around the late season yarding areas? Or where the bucks may have hung out a little late at the end of the rut in late fall, early winter before moving to the yard areas?

Been out twice nothing yet! frown

swampbuck

Keep walking they are there yarding areas are great to look in, any place you think a buck mayhave walked can be good

shedaddict

I know this is a pretty general question, but for you guys that shed hunt where the deer are yarding up, how big of an area do the deer usually yard up in? None of the deer yard up where I hunt.

lungdeflator

Leech-- Do you know when deer started dropping around you? If they started before christmas, like around my cabin, then they are probably in post rut areas, mainly food sources. After you get some good snows like we did around Bemidji this year, the deer yarded up in coniferous areas(thermal cover for when its cold and snow depth). Ive walked a lot of cedar swamps this winter, that seems to be a common place where deer yard up. Depending on the number of deer and size of the cedar swamp, the area they are in can be pretty big. Concentrate more around the edges of these swamps, preferably south facing edges.

Theres one spot where a guy had a 6 acre plot with sugar beets in it where the deer have been hitting it hard all winter. These deer were traveling at least a half mile from thermal cover to the field. I have heard that deer will travel a long ways to find good thermal cover, so in a mostly mature hardwoods area, find a stand of pines or cedar swamp and with a year like this there should be deer there.

leech~~

Leech-- Do you know when deer started dropping around you? If they started before christmas, like around my cabin, then they are probably in post rut areas, mainly food sources. After you get some good snows like we did around Bemidji this year, the deer yarded up in coniferous areas(thermal cover for when its cold and snow depth). Ive walked a lot of cedar swamps this winter, that seems to be a common place where deer yard up. Depending on the number of deer and size of the cedar swamp, the area they are in can be pretty big. Concentrate more around the edges of these swamps, preferably south facing edges.

Theres one spot where a guy had a 6 acre plot with sugar beets in it where the deer have been hitting it hard all winter. These deer were traveling at least a half mile from thermal cover to the field. I have heard that deer will travel a long ways to find good thermal cover, so in a mostly mature hardwoods area, find a stand of pines or cedar swamp and with a year like this there should be deer there.

Lungde, the areas I have been checking are public land and there are beding areas and crisscrossing trails everywhere. I have seen some bucks with very white antlers still on? But I had seen some with only one or none on in very late fall, early winter also? confused I do see other guys tracks from time to time so I maybe just checking areas that have already been picked over by others already? frown

matchset

leech! don't be discouraged by boot tracks... i shed hunt with a lot of guys and we Rarely pick up all the bone in the woods. each year we find old sheds that we "shoulda" found, or walked right by.

the best story i can give ya, last year i was admiring a new apple tree i found. sat down beneath and cracked open a mt dew. ten min later i spotted a 3 year old shed big 4 pt, twenty yards from the apple tree in an area that gets walked heavily. Photo0446.jpg

here's what i found yesterday.... Photo1135.jpg

lungdeflator

Leech---

Just like MatchSet says, keep after it even though there are boot tracks. Maybe some of the obvious ones got picked up, but theres no way to find them all. If those trails are all going toward the same food source then check that food source over good. Also focus on the south facing slopes and if theres any "edges" focus on those and the south facing sides of those.

MatchSet---Was that a buck you know?

shedaddict

Went out after work on Friday for two hours and had one of the best days shed hunting I've ever had. I got a little pic heavy here, but it's not every day I personally have a day like this.

Shed 1--3pt found right along a thicket edge

CIMG3874.JPG

Shed 2-- 3 pt found next to a cedar tree

CIMG3876.JPG

Shed 3-- 4pt I could see standing next to the 2nd shed; about 100 yards away.

CIMG3884.JPG

Shed 4-- 5pt spotted along a creek. Great mass to this antler.

CIMG3889.JPG

Shed 5-- 7pt The match to the previous shed laying 30 yards away. This one is awesome with the little crab claw brow. I walked within 30 yards of these sheds back in February.

CIMG3893.JPG

Another shot of the last antler.

CIMG3896.JPG

Matched Up

CIMG3898.JPG

Stringer Shot

CIMG3899.JPG

leech~~

Thanks match and lung, I'm sure I wouldn't give up looking. It's just that it seems like I do better at finding little 3 inch" high shrooms but can't see a 200 class 10 point rack laying right out in the open! crylaugh

birdswacker

Leech,

Eat the sshhrrrooooommmmsss after you find the sheds not before!!

matchset

in the fall of 2009 i was fortunate to harvest a great buck that scored 151 with my bow.... now, in the spring of 2011 my buddy was walking the same area i hunted then. he happened upon on the right side off my bucks 2008 rack.

after talking, we decided to trade a neat flyer shed i had for a few sheds he had.... IMG_0522.jpg

so today i got a great birthday present! i got a big 72 inch brow tine shed.... chewed (but sweet looking) shed off my 2009 buck. Photo1147.jpg

FRESH side found in the spring 2009...

IMG_0316.jpg and a fresh 60 inch shed off my Christmas 2010 buck! Photo1145.jpg

Photo1144.jpg

what's neat is that he found two sheds off my two biggest bucks!

christmas buck shed from 2009 scored 60....his right side scored 73 this year!

keep walking!!! you never know what you'll find!!!!!

matchset

Leech---

MatchSet---Was that a buck you know?

no, it was a new property for me. but its so "sheddy" i have to go back!

leech~~

so today i got a great birthday present!

That is great have racks from past and present of the same deer! cool

bety0108

full-37697-7669-pict0025.jpg

full-37697-7670-0407111321.jpg

Found an old shed of this buck which was shot this year near St. Cloud. kind of neat that you can see the different years of mouse/squirrel chewings. The G-4 was broken.

sticknstring

Cool finds! I'd love to have sheds from a buck I shot.

bety - Please check-in in the turkey forum contest. I belive you're on my team - The Bearded Hens. smile

shedaddict

Found a dead head and a few more small sheds on Sunday.

3pt Deadhead

CIMG3908.JPG

3pt Shed--Match to the shed Mala found last week; what the heck does she need me for?

CIMG3912.JPG

4pt shed--Match to one of the sheds found earlier this year.

CIMG3916.JPG

Stringer Shot

CIMG3921.JPG

Couple Misc Pics

Shed out buck

CIMG3915.JPG

Not sure what kind of animal this was. Skull was th size of an orange. Racoon?

CIMG3914.JPG

surewood

full-18444-7686-img_20110412_082122.jpg

full-18444-7687-img_20110412_082141.jpg

First find yesterday. Fourth shed I've found from this deer since 2006.

bmc

Here's one I found today. Couldn't find the other half, but plan on getting back out there to look for it. I've also enclosed the pic of what he looked like when he had his antlers on his head this past winter when he was visiting my dad's feeders. What was odd is that this shed was found 600-800 yds away from the feeders. I'm suprised he'd travel that far from the feeders w/ the deep snow.

41211shed.jpg

bigbuckshed.jpg

Brian

JBone

Awesome BMC!

sticknstring

Nice find Brian! He really bleached out quick. Find that match and put an arrow through him next fall!

lungdeflator

Wow nice finds guys! I am up to 5 in MN so far this year. I went out to ND last weekend and found 9 whitetail and 1 moose shed in 2 days. A couple nice ones and a bunch of small ones. Hopefully these pics work out...

full-26771-7743-1.jpg

full-26771-7744-2.jpg

full-26771-7745-3.jpg

full-26771-7747-5.jpg

full-26771-7748-6.jpg

full-26771-7749-7.jpg

full-26771-7750-8.jpg

full-26771-7751-9.jpg

full-26771-7752-10.jpg

lungdeflator

shedaddict

Nice going in ND Lung! Are the two whitetail sheds at the end a match?

Nice moose paddle as well! That gets me excited to start heading up northern MN to start looking for paddles there. I was up for a scouting mission two weeks ago and found some really good sign; now we just need the snow to melt.

shedaddict

Found this tiny one before work this morning.

CIMG3927.JPG