• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

SHED HUNTING THREAD - PICs INCLUDED

WalleyeChamp

I've got a bunch of 'as found' pics I haven't posted yet. Maybe when this bass fishing slows down (and I figure out how to get them off my phone) I will post them smile

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TonkaBass

• lungdeflator

• matchset

• WalleyeChamp

Wow, I just spent an hour looking through the shed thread. It's awesome, I wanna start shed hunting too. How do I start? Where to look? I don't own land? I hunt deer and it looks like they start shedding in Dec.-April. What kind of areas or signs show a deer has shed their antlers. Seems hard to look for those buried in snow.

Yeah, a few. Nothing crazy this year. The moose set was my highlight and that came early in the season. Still have yet to get a droptine. When I do I will be one happy camper smile I think I got just over 40 deer sheds this season total

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I find myself thinking about it too. Not sure what it is, but its tough to beat the feeling of finding an antler no matter what the size.

Tell me about it Tonka.. I've had at least a half dozen dreams about shed hunting over the past few months.. Like , real has H*ll dreams! grin

• 3 months later...

Well for those of you getting all "horned up" for the shed season grin An aquaintance found a fresh set of moose sheds yesterday evening. The time is coming closer................

TonkaBass, is there a reason why there is so much deer droppings next to most of the antlers? Is this common? I haven't done any shed hunting since I was a young'n, if you guys could put together a little "Shed Hunting Hint List" in this thread for the coming spring I think that would be pretty cool. Maybe there is one already? I haven't read through the whole thread.

NIce Jerkin! Yeah, Moose drop early, I would love to get some free time from work and do a moose shed trip in mid december!

Buckmaster, There was a lot of droppings because the deer were so yarded up where I shed hunted last year. There were easliy 400 deer within a square mile for a few months during the winter. The deer trails, instead of being indented into the ground, actually crested upward like a paved road of [PoorWordUsage]! lol Some tips I would give are...

-have a good pair of bincos with a $20 binoc harness, its a must and used constantly!

-Dont wear polarized glasses even though your eyes take awhile to adjust to the snow, antlers have a sheen to them that the glasses will take away.

-Try to not double walk an area, youre better off walking through an area with less sign than to double track a spot right after you just hit it.

-Look behing you every once and awhile. Angles is everything and you will get more bone this way.

-Look for anything different. In the woods there is a rythm to what the brush and snow and trees appear like. Antlers just dont fit in. Curves, sheens, points, pedistals, "rib cages", and the color of bone are what to look for. If youre in a corn field or sunflower field, just walk slow and look hard!

-dont bring a backpack, theyre bad luck.

Hope this helps!

Wow, sounds like there is more to it then one would think. Thanks for the advice and let us know if you come up with any other helpful info.

• 3 weeks later...

A guy called me up to measure a dead head he found in a dried up swamp the last weekend of muzzleloader in Ottertail County. Gross 169 3/8 Net 165 0/8 21" main beams, 40" mass, 10"+ g2's and an inside spread of 18 4/8"

full-35274-14998-imag0173.jpg

full-35274-14999-imag0174.jpg

full-35274-15000-imag0172.jpg

I picked this one up 2 years ago right after muzzleloader season about 400 yards from my stand. Been looking for him since with no luck.

full-5823-15059-shed.jpg

On purpose?

Do you have any snow? Only reason I ask is that I havent seen any deer grouped up and I'm thinking we need some snow to increase the odds.

a good friend of mine found a freshie on the last day a muzzleload season near walker, mn.