• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

SHED HUNTING THREAD - PICs INCLUDED

WalleyeChamp

Thanks. No I dont think they are, just to many differences. I searched for another 1.5 hours and couldnt find the matches to either one.

I found the match to the first antler I found this year tonight. Pretty cool to match up an antler a month later!

Good luck in the search for moose antlers there Shedaddict. There are just tiny patches of snow around Bemidji here, even in the low cedar swamps.

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TonkaBass

• lungdeflator

• matchset

• WalleyeChamp

Hey lung, what part of nd did you go to? I have been working south of bismarck and did some walking there. Me and a buddy of mine got 45 in one weekend and 4 dead heads. Now there is snow out here again though. I was on some nice mulies but this snow is really putting a damper on them. I got a match moose out here in december, but they are rare where I am. There is also a small herd of elk out here, but I haven't looked for them. Quite the variety pack in a small area.

Tonka that sounds like shed hunters dream. We are northwest of Grand Forks. We see moose droppings and tracks everywhere and got a few trail cam pics of them last summer, but we have only seen 2 in all the time we spend around there. Finding the shed was a real surprise.

We are heading up north on Thursday! New rule says we can bring back as many antlers as we want!

Was out for a long hike yesterday and managed a broke off antler, a small dead head, and a coyote skull. Seems like the size of my antlers I've found this year is smaller than usual.

Broke off antler

CIMG3933.JPG

Small dead head, only had one antler

CIMG3941.JPG

Stringer shot with coyote skull

CIMG3945.JPG

The two in the front were found in nearly the exact same spot a couple weeks apart. I thought I had a matched set until I got them together and now I'm not so sure. What do you think?

5633508932_2896610dae_m.jpg

5632925365_012bab37c3_m.jpg

5632924255_87ee4305c8_m.jpg

5633504178_031f5b7e29_m.jpg

is it possible that one was buried? mass looks about the same and the main beams look similar as well as G1's. The only thing that throws me off is the length of the G2 and G3 right side bone. They are larger than the left sides. Im goona guess its the same buck based on if you think one could have been buried, but who knows. Any neghbors have trail cams? you could ask around, but then you might give away whats alive and if you dont show the sheds they prob wont say anything. I found a 168 buck dead this winter and he had 10 inch of deduction because of G1 and G4 lengths differing as in your situation with g2/g3. either way nice finds! I had a great week two weeks ago, but this week was very slow and gobbler hunting next week i think that 7 dead bucks and 22 sheds is goona be it for me. no sets like your find today. all smaller

A few more pics. full-37697-7959-0310110846.jpg

full-37697-7960-0327111020.jpg

full-37697-7961-0403111411.jpg

full-37697-7963-0409111650.jpg

full-37697-7964-0412111109.jpg

A few of the dead bucks this year and the biggest rub i've ever encountered!

bety, that's one heck of a rub! You recognize any of those deadheads from land you hunt?

Surprised at how many dead bucks you guys are finding out there. Do you ever see signs of bone damage from missed shots? I found an 8 pt skull while stalking 2 years ago, the whole skeleton, the left eye socket ridge of bone was missing and had skull fractures along it. He had hunkered down in the middle of a very dense chunk of forest and died. full-33703-7976-screenshot2011_04_19at4.

The buck on the top, the chewed up one, was a buck from our land. He actually died last year and wasnt found till this year. We think it was a bad shot from a near by archer. The rest that i found were on private lands where i have permission only to shed hunt only and not to bow hunt. I would much rather find sheds than dead bucks! Kind of sad seeing them that way.

Ya those heads are not my favorite find. I would almost rather find nothing. but sometimes its cool to see how the antlers really sat on their head

Hiked an hour after work yesterday and found this little 2pt. This is the 4th time I've hiked this spot this season; this time with zero snow. I've definitely walked by this shed before. It was a crappy rainy day for hiking, but this shed really stuck out.

CIMG3952.JPG

A friend of a friend found this buck dead, injured by a bowhunter last fall, the other day. He claims its worth 25,000 and grossed in 220's. Northwestern Wisconsin. He has Trail cam vidios and pics of him which makes this a true find! I've seen the vidio!

full-37697-8115-ericl.jpg

228 gross 204 net

trying to add pictures but it's not working, i'll keep trying. it's a different dead head than the one above.

Havnt seen photos yet but my Dad picked up a big matched set at our farm in Hutchinson 74" and 78" sides 10+ brow tines on both

Managed to look for sheds while out turkey hunting this past week.

Found this little 3pt along the edge of a swamp.

IMG00003-20110504-1558.JPG

I was checking out a small high spot by my gun deer stand and found an old 5pt. I'm guessing this a 2 year old shed.

IMG00010-20110504-1619.JPG

It's really starting to green up, so there probably isn't much time left around home here. I have a couple trips planned up north, but other than that the season is just about over for me.

here ar he big ones my dad found this week!

Brow tines are huge 10" and 9.5 "

full-2263-8467-008.jpg

full-2263-8468-009.jpg

full-2263-8469-010.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Found a few deadheads last week.

First one was here in the metro.

IMG00025-20110513-1544.JPG

The second one I found up north. I was actually looking for moose paddles and ran across this old 4pt. No luck on paddles, but I did find some old moose bones.

IMG00029-20110515-1325.JPG

• 1 month later...

I found 31 sheds this spring with lots of matching sets, and afew really nice ones. I will send some pictures soon. Does any one know when the dead line for doe permits for rifle season is? I hunt zone 1A. THANKS, Randy [R DOG]