• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

World Jr 2011 in Buffalo NY

cbrooks

World Jr hockey is coming up fast. They start December 26 and go until Jan 5th. I believe the roster announcement is sometime this week. Yale's head coach Keith Allain was selected to coach this year's squad. Mark Osiecki(ohio state's head coach)Phil Housley and Joe Exter are the assistant coaches. Evalulation where held back in July and August with 44 potential players. There first tune up is on Dec 19th against Rensselar. Hopefully these guys can repeat.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cbrooks

• Bear55

• spearchucker

• solbes

Wow this is coming up fast, should be some good hockey. Canada will be pizzed off about losing last year and will be gunning for us, should be a fun tourney. Not sure who the other top teams are but Sweden has been good lately and Russia usually has some skill but I don't know if they are as deep as Can, US, and Sweden.

Yeah its hard to get an idea how we will match up against everyone. The thing with the US is they have there one or two week evaluation camp and then the players don't get together until two weeks before there first game. Not alot of time to learn the system compared to the other teams that play together year round. I guess some of these players are familar with each other through the years growing up. I always look forward to seeing who's on the roster. There should be alot of WCHA players or prospects.

Actually I don't think any of the other teams play together year round, most are in Junior or other leagues in their own countries or around the world, like in some cases when Euros come over here to play.

In a lot of ways we end up having a small advantage because of the US Development Team, a majority of our players come from that team so we have a slight edge in building some team chemistry over the years. I wouldn't call it a huge advantage because like you said a lot of the better players get to know each at select camps/tournaments growing up.

Just last year we started running a last minute evaluation camp just before the tournament (like Canada) to help with the final selections.

I thought some of the teams in europe like Russia and Sweden play the full year. Guess I was wrong. I hope all the games will be carried on ESPN. Otherwise I will have to use the link you posted last year for streamlining the games.

How do they go about selecting a hockey coach every year? It must be by committee. Keith Allain seems to be a good coach. Look at what he did for the Yale hockey program. I'm sure Buffalo will get a huge Canadian draw. They will cheer against the US especially after last year. It just drove me nuts how the cheered against the US when we hosted the event at the Ralph in 2005. Go USA!

I got this info from GF herald writer Brad Schlossman blog site.

Here is the roster so far that will report at camp December 16. three forwards and four defenseman will be cut.

Goalies

Jack Campbell, OHL

Andy Iles, Cornell

Defensemen

Brian Demoulin, Boston College

Justin Faulk, UMD

Nick Leddy, AHL

Jon Merril, Michigan

Jamie Oleksiak, Northeastern

John Rampage, Wisconsin

Phillip Samuelsson, Boston College

Patrick Wey, Boston College

Adam Clendening, Boston U

Derek Forbort, UND

Forward

Nick Bjugstad, Minnesota

Ryan Bourque, QMJHL

Connor Brickley, Vermont

Chris Brown, Michigan

Mitch Callahan, WHL

Charlie Coyle, Boston U

Jerry D'Amigo, AHL

Emerson Etem, WHL

Rocco Grimaldi, UND recruit

Chris Kreider, Boston College

Jeremy Morin, AHL

Brock Nelson, UND

Matt Nieto, Boston U

Klye Palmieri, AHL

Brandon Saad, OHL

Drew Shore, Denver

Jason Zucker, Denver

I just read that, with Kane out, Blackhawks may be recalling Morin & Leddy.

Leddy is D though.

The Wild's top prospect Granlund will be playing for Finland I think.

I thought I herd somewhere that Morin just got sent back to the AHL but I'm too lazy to confirm. Just a guess they will both be there.

According to the posted list Morin is playing in the AHL, but it doesn't give a team.

Google says he is playing for the Rockford Icehogs in the AHL.

According to the posted list Morin is playing in the AHL, but it doesn't give a team.

I watch him play a game for the blackhawks against the blues about two weeks ago on Versus.

I'm sure they get shuffled back and forth just like some of the Wild players with Houston Aeros.

I wouldn't doubt that Jeremy Morin will get called up like you mention earlier. The US team has room to lose a few players. I think the final cut for the roster is December 22nd.

Ok here is what I found on Morin, he was given permission by the Blackhawks to join team USA for the tourney. Now with the injury to Kane people are speculating he might get called up and miss the tourney, we should find out for sure soon.

It also sounds like the Russians have a pretty good team this year so it might be a 4 horse race. Lots of Canadian's like to call us the favorites but really the best any team can hope for is to be co-favored with Canada. They could send two teams and both would have a legitimate shot at taking this thing.

Team Canada finalize there roster. They have a couple of players from the WCHA UMD defensemen Dlyan Olsen and CC forward Jaden Schwartz.

It will be tough to top last years run. The USA plays an expedition dec 19 against RPI. They better manhandle that team or it won't be a good sign.

They should be able too, I don't think I remember the Jr team losing to a college team, that includes some top end teams like UND. wink

Of course its just an exhibition game but I am pretty sure the college teams don't want to lose to a bunch of youngsters and the US teams sure as heck doesn't want to lose before the tournament.

Speaking of college teams playing USA teams. UND plays the under18 USA team this Saturday. It will be fun to watch some of the future WCHA prospects in that game. I know UND has one player on that team.

I have been doing a little reading about the Canadian Team. One article I read talked about this team being built to beat "The Americans", they left a lot of high end skill off the team in favor of grit and size and a more defensive game.

First don't think that they are sending a team of hacks because they still have a ton of skill on this team. I am kind of thinking we got into the head of Canada a little bit last year, I kind of like the fact they they are adjusting to us and making changes they might not otherwise make.

First don't think that they are sending a team of hacks because they still have a ton of skill on this team. I am kind of thinking we got into the head of Canada a little bit last year, I kind of like the fact they they are adjusting to us and making changes they might not otherwise make.

That is pretty cool. We are starting to get a little respect. Another thing I found interesting is your starting to see more college players on there(canada) team. I remember when UND got Travis Zajac and he got shafted. He didn't even get an invitation to try outs.

Bear, I would like to hear your opinion on having players that player Canadians Jrs rather than college hockey on the USA team. I have a feeling we might disagree on this but maybe you can talk some sense into me.

The Canadians rarely use NCAA players, for the most party they don't have to because they have amazing depth. For every NCAA guy they look at you might have 5 or 10 CHL guys with the same skills so if things are fairly even they will go with a CHL player. When they do take an NCAA player they are top end guys and usually one of the better players on the team.

A few names you might recognize, Kariya, Camillari, Towes.. and a few others over the years. Heatly was probably in there too.

As far as American who choose CHL over NCAA hockey, I say we take the best players available regardless of where they play. I certainly favor NCAA hockey but I can't see punishing a kid who chooses a different path. There is a little bias on both sides, the Candians can sometimes get away with it because of their dept, but I don't think we have that kind of luxury.

Yep. You sum it up pretty good. I just feel you choose the path going up to Canada you lose your shot at representing your country at World Jr. You definately have a point in Canada having the depth and USA not nearly as much.

I'm glad you brought up the fact that Canada's team has a few NCAA players on it. I think your seeing more of the younger highly skilled but pyshically smaller Canadian players choosing the NCAA route. This makes college hockey a better fit for them than the more pyshical play in the Canadian jr game. Thats how we got Dillin Simpson. He's only 17 and so was Toews when he started with the Sioux. I think you will see more of this. Hopefully smile

I just feel you choose the path going up to Canada you lose your shot at representing your country at World Jr.

See now I don't follow your logic on this one, especially from a Sioux fan who has had a lot of Canadian talent come through over the years. Why punish a kid for not wanting to play NCAA hockey? What if the kid has all the skills in the world but doesn't have the grades? Do we leave players off Olympic rosters too because they decided to play Canadian Jrs?

I also don't see Jrs as all that more physical then the WCHA. The only difference you see is fighting is allowed in Jrs so there is this kind of myth of it being more physical. You might even say the NCAA has a chance to be more physical because the players are older and usually have a little more muscle/weight to throw around.

I think they should just be left off the Jr team not the Olympic. I think this is a good way to keep the home talent at home. Its about developing and promoting USA hockey at home. Its tougher to do when the top players head north.

I remember a couple years back all the colleges wanted Jeremy Morin and the internet rumor was he couldn't make the grade. I don't know if that was true but that was the excuse I heard on other sites.

i admit I never watch Canadian jrs. It was always perceived as more psyhical alot of fighting.Its pretty competitive when you have all these individuals trying to make the next step in there career. College on the other hand not everybody is hockey bound. Again I never watch a game.

BTW I don't think the WCHA is as psyhical since the refs starting calling the games differently since the Malone hit just my humble opinion there.

The USA team tied Rensselaer 3 to 3 in exhibition game.

Not a great sign but it sounds like the US left 5 or 6 of there top players off the ice and let the bubble guys play. I also hear Morin has been cleared to play for Team USA so that is good news.

I hope there better than what the score of that game is. I think final cuts are today or tomorrow for there roster.

Hmmm a shootout loss in an exhibition to the Czechs isn't good sign, hopefully a wake up call.

Official Roster:

Forwards (x13):

Nick Bjugstad

Ryan Bourque

Chris Brown

Mitch Callahan

Charlie Coyle

Jerry D'Amigo

Emerson Etem

Chris Kreider

Jeremy Morin

Brock Nelson

Kyle Palmieri

Drew Shore

Jason Zucker

Defense (x7):

Brian Dumoulin

Justin Faulk

Derek Forbort

Nick Leddy

Jon Merrill

John Ramage

Patrick Wey

Goalies (x2):

Jack Campbell

Andy Iles

my man Rocco Grimaldi didn't make cut. I just don't think you can expect the US team to do what they did last year every year. I will be happy to see them play in the semi this year.