• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Buffalo Lake

See anyone on the NorthEast side by the point just out from the access off 25,

Not in the "courthouse" clan?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tsande00

• fishersofmen

• Bogie04

• THavas

There were several houses out south of the Sturgis Park access on Saturday - I think they refer to this area as Kings Point.

Made it out last night for a couple of hours. Went out near the courthouse in 20 feet of water, where everybody sets up early ice. Fished from 7:30 to 10:00 with no bites. I probably had 20 fish come right off the bottom and sniff my lures but no takers.

I didn't have any real minnows with, was using gulp. That may have had something to do with it.

Broke my auger (and almost my back)going down those stairs...be careful it's slippery.

Ouch! I've taken my fair share of falls on icy stairs and ice covered rocks, totally not fun! Not cool that you broke your auger, hopefully your next trip out will be a little more productive and no injuries!

Yeah I ate it pretty hard. Just got done thinking, "Jeez, I hope I don't drop my auger, wouldn't that suck?" then BAM I was on my back flying down to the bottom of the stairs with auger in tow. Broke the handle on the auger, hopefully that is all I damaged (it's not even a year old yet! cry ). I dropped it off this morning at SM in Big Lake, I'm going to pick it up tonight and try my luck on Maple. Hopefully SM is kind with the repair bill.

In the future I'm going to drive down that road a bit farther and park near the intersection of 4th street. At least there you don't have to do those stairs...not that the rocks are much friendlier, but the rocks aren't as far of a fall!

This has been quite the year -

1st trip out: Ice chisel slipped from my hand and broke my Marcum LX3tc!

2nd trip out: Tip broke off my best rod while trying to stow it in the case

3rd trip out: Broke my 9 month old SM Lazer!

Sure will be nice when we can just drive out again! I didn't have much luck on Buffalo last night either. Didn't break anything though.... grin

If you're lucky you may catch some of the small perch swimming out there. Several people I have talked to all said "either nothing or small perch." Maybe time to start scouting new areas.

wow. I thinkin bout hittin the buff Wednesday Night, but now I am thinkin bout headin N instead of S. Maybe swing to Rush lake. I live in Andover, and it's a similar distance. Maybe me choosing a different lake will fire up that bite on buffalo.

My cousin got his perm out on Buffalo Monday night. Said he managed one 20.75" eye, but otherwise very slow.

Out for a few hours this afternoon/evening. Caught a few decent sized crappies and a couple perch. Marked a lot of tight lipped fish on the vex though. Was using euros and plastics, but only the plastics produced...

Yeah I ate it pretty hard. Just got done thinking, "Jeez, I hope I don't drop my auger, wouldn't that suck?" then BAM I was on my back flying down to the bottom of the stairs with auger in tow. Broke the handle on the auger, hopefully that is all I damaged (it's not even a year old yet! cry ). I dropped it off this morning at SM in Big Lake, I'm going to pick it up tonight and try my luck on Maple. Hopefully SM is kind with the repair bill.

In the future I'm going to drive down that road a bit farther and park near the intersection of 4th street. At least there you don't have to do those stairs...not that the rocks are much friendlier, but the rocks aren't as far of a fall!

This has been quite the year -

1st trip out: Ice chisel slipped from my hand and broke my Marcum LX3tc!

2nd trip out: Tip broke off my best rod while trying to stow it in the case

3rd trip out: Broke my 9 month old SM Lazer!

Wow I did not know you just broke auger, that sucks. With the luck you have had this year I may have to stay away from you for a while. JK, I hope to get out this weekend when I get back back from St. Louis. Let me know if you wanna go out Sat or Sun.

Wow I did not know you just broke auger, that sucks. With the luck you have had this year I may have to stay away from you for a while. JK, I hope to get out this weekend when I get back back from St. Louis. Let me know if you wanna go out Sat or Sun.

Yep, broke it good, lol.

So I stopped by StrikeMaster after work and picked up the auger. They replaced the handle with a newer style (supposed to be stronger). Also added fresh fuel and tightened things up. He said my fuel was so rotten it was completely brown, lol. I guess I should have checked it but I had put stabil in it and it was still running like a top even with the varnish fuel. +1 for StrikeMaster.

Oh yeah, the repair bill came out to exactly $0.00!

I will definitely be fishing Saturday (Sunday I have the Vikes game to bore myself with). I want to try getting to the hole out on Buffalo. Hopefully I can get the snowmobile running...that dragging [PoorWordUsage] we tried on Jane is for the birds.

Has the fishing picked up at all? I was thinking about heading out for the first time this weekend. How thick is the ice? Is it too early for a 4-wheeler?

Thanks!

You should be OK with a 4wheeler. Lots of ATV and snowmobile traffic out there.

Obviously exercise caution and check the ice for yourself, but I personally wouldn't' be afraid at this point.

Has the fishing picked up at all? I was thinking about heading out for the first time this weekend. How thick is the ice? Is it too early for a 4-wheeler?

Thanks!

Oh yeah there is plenty for a 4-wheeler. Was out on Buffalo last night and watched a car drive by us...its a bit too early for vehicles but I guess that guy felt safe enough lol

That was insane to see cars out there.... shocked

Mike you didn't mention that you dropped your $400 cell phone down the hole. At least its marked on your new GPS. laughlaugh

That was insane to see cars out there.... shocked

Mike you didn't mention that you dropped your $400 cell phone down the hole. At least its marked on your new GPS. laughlaugh

Oh Jesse you would bring up the fact that my phone went through the hole last night!cry Buffalo took my Ipod last yr now my cell phone...I'm thinkin I should stay of Buffalo for awhile loleek Glad it was the cell phone and not the gps though!

Strikemaster customer service can't be beat. I've been there twice now for repairs (my own fault) and haven't been charged a dime. Lifetime customer here.

Back to the fishing reports. I still haven't been out. Depending on how much snow we get hit with, I plan on pulling the house out on Saturday.

Some nice donations you made to the lake! I'm sure the fishing will be fantastic for you this year!

the lady working at H&H said she seen a full size truck out there plowing a road off the north access so he could put his wheel house out. I have a hard time believing this but with buffalo it wouldn't surprise me. she also said a 4 wheeler went it in on cedar lake over by clearwater lake.

Was out today and yesterday. Fishing was slow, to walk out was work where I went. Breaking through top layer of ice into around 4" of slush in many areas.

Slush will make any travel on the lake a mess, until we get some really cold weather. Even some sleds and wheelers are having rough going in some areas. Alot of work for only a few bites (if you can even pull that) but a few guys have done well, after putting many hours.

Jim,

I was out for only a couple of hours on Wednesday and came home with two nice eating sized pike. Not many hours for the reward, but I did have to traverse some nasty slush to get there. Just pin the throttle and go on through!

anyone really having luck out there? I was out today and dropped the camera to see what i had put myself on top of and saw about 15 perch sitting right on the bottom and 6 to 10 crappie suspended 1-5 feet off the bottom

Was out last night for awhile - 1 nice eye, a few smaller crappies and a handful of perch. About 13" of ice, not much slush where I was at but I saw a few ATV's bogging through the deep stuff in various areas. Hopefully we don't get too much snow today and Thursday so the lake will be in decent shape for those with time off for the holidays grin

• 3 weeks later...

anyone been out there within the last week or so?

Yup. I was out there from 330 to 730 yesterday. There is a lot of people fishing buffalo now that there is vehicle traffic.