• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Buffalo Lake

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tsande00

• fishersofmen

• Bogie04

• THavas

let me know when we can get out to the sweet spot. I am craving a crappie dinner.

It froze over completely on 11/27 but I suspect it will be awhile before we get out to that spot...I'm not walking way out there, lol.

There were a few people out there this evening. Two out from the courthouse...and one straight out from the park boat launch in their pop-ups and sleds. Be curious how they ended up doing.

I pushed my luck tonight on little pulaski, walking the shoreline, they are correct water under the ice is cold. The walk back to the truck was colder, wet up to my waist, luck for me the water was only 3ft deep. I should have been using my ice chisel, as it was not clear ice.

Whoopsies! eek With the snow forecasted, it'll make things even dicier. Be careful out there guys.

How's Contance shaping up mrklean?

saw one guy out there this morning before i went to work on the north side, im gonna head out there this weekend and poke around probably to dark by the time i get home each night

There were a few people out there this evening. Two out from the courthouse...and one straight out from the park boat launch in their pop-ups and sleds. Be curious how they ended up doing.

Wow, I wonder if they realized that the area out in front of the court house was full of open water spots just days before they were out there (11/26). Of course with these frigid temps over the last few days it probably firmed up...oh wait...it's been above freezing. Hmmmmmm.

Knowing my brother it was probably him out there. I'll ask how he did. crazy

One of these years I suspect we'll find out just how well those AA suits help keep you alive when he falls through the ice.

Jim, sorry to hear you took a dip, but that's the price you pay for playing on Pulaski early in the season. wink Glad you're OK.

As of this evening at 5:00 there are about 20 houses scattered about Buffalo, many in front of the courthouse, and even a couple out in the middle. Can anyone who was out there post some ice thicknesses?

mrklean, Do you live on Constance? I get over there once a while in the open water days.

Jigginjim,Iam glad that your ok. But of all people your a guide right?

I have been fishing that lake in a boat when people are ice fishing Buffalo.

yep hydro i live on braddock on the northwest side of that lake. Havent fished open water very much mostly ice season

Thanks guys, I was over in little Pulaski. Besides taking a cold dip, I got a large bruise on my leg from where I hit the ice going down.

I saw the houses out on Buffalo tonight, 2 of those guys walking out almost to the center. Should hire them to drag my house out there. But there are several places that could be closer with fishing as good as walking a 1/2 mile. Everyone cross your fingers that the snow goes south, so we only get an inch or 2, max of 3inch would be ok. If we get 6" the ice will really get hosed. I may have to stay with shore fishing while longer. I guess the wet dip gives you a lot more respect for the ice.

I guess the wet dip gives you a lot more respect for the ice.

You've got that right!!! Jim I did the exact same thing you did a few years back and it was probably the best thing that could have happened to me... Whole new perspective grin

What amazed me was no warning of slow cracking ice noises or anything, all in the flash of a fraction of a second I was down before I could even realize it.

I wish I could come up with a controlled and safe way to have it happen to my young buck,no fear sons. I don't think it truly sets in a guys head of what it can be like until you go through it.

I would like to experience what its like to fall through the ice, in a controlled enviroment offcourse. Just to gain some of that respect, and for the experience so it may not come as such a shock to me if it does ever happen at a bad time.

I did try going through intentionaly once. Good learning experience. I did it on a small lake with a very large shallow beach, about 3ft. of water that is very close to the shore and my truck. One thing people don't realize is that you need to be considering what is under that ice other than water. I mean I landed in some very soft mud. I sank into the mud about 10" I would guess. Quite scary trying to get onto the ice again, all wet and feeling like someone is pulling you down. I left a boot behind. If you land in a dense patch of weeds, most likely not dead yet during early ice, you could really get caught up. When I edge out to check ice, I try to avoid spots I know are muddy and very weedy. Food for thought.

I saw about 10-15 houses on Buffalo this evening while driving back from work.

Makes a guy want to get out and start ripping some lips.

Lots of houses out there this afternoon including an 8 X 16 hard sider, sleds and ATV's running about, more or less typical first ice on Buffalo. Now just wait for the first guy to drop something through.

All that is OK by me, since it just keeps traffic off of the lakes nearby that I like to fish.

Was out last night - 7 to 8 inches of ice where I was at (north side west of the courthouse). Caught 1 14 inch eye, 1 10 inch crappie and a ton of perch. The perch were still biting at 6:30, which is odd since they usually disappear around sundown. If they were a little bigger it would be OK.

Didn't hear many good reports from others on my way off the lake. Anyone having any luck?

I was busy and wasn't able to get out today but it looked like 100+ people on Buffalo Lake were more fortunate than me...

I was out on Saturday and started walking towards the middle and found a large area that had about 2 inches. If a wheeler crosses that spot it will not be good. Hopefully the next few cold nights will thicken the bad areas up. Fishing was pretty good.