• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

Fishing Report Clubs - Make Your Own "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"!

Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see detailed info that is shared. CLICK HERE to join.

Have Fun!!!

Greg Clusiau

I've only fished it a couple of times in the summer for the big gills (limit is now 5) and only ice fished it once. It would check out the deeper holes, I believe there are three major holes on the north end, where the access is, and one on the south end. I wouldn't hesitate to try Little Bowstring either, which is nearby. Both lakes have some nice walleyes too.

GSB Ice Man

Greg,

I think we are talking about 2 different Grave lakes, the one I am refering to is a couple miles North of Remer.

Greg Clusiau

Oh yeah, we are. I don't know a thing about that one. LOL Good luck!

glenn57

anyone out checkin ice conditions??? amount of snow up there? this weather is makin me nervous! would rather use ATV the first time up there with snowmobile trailer to haul stuff out.

Greg Clusiau

We've, Itasca County, got more snow than the Aitkin County area and if it stays like this an ATV would be fine. Actually, we have to receive quite a bit more snow before the ATVs stay home.

glenn57

thanks greg, now need the ice to hold that ATV on top! so how much snow is on the ground right now. i also gotta blow out the road to at some point!

Greg Clusiau

All depends on where you're at. Up in the country, by my son's house and not even close to a lake, it's quite deep. On the lakes' however, it doesn't seem like there's more than an inch or two at most.

glenn57

thats good for the lakes. extended 10 day forecast says next week highs in the teens and lows teens below 0. so wheres about is your son, up in the counrty, located. ours is spring lake.

bmc

I was on Big Cutfoot Sioux today in front of Williams Narrows resort. There was anywhere from 2 to 5 inches of not very good ice, depending where you were standing. With more snow in the forecast, I would recommend erring on the side of caution.

I bought a muzzleloader tag today and hope to fill that later in the week and check the ice again the 1st part of the week.

IF you decide to go out, I would have a buddy with, wear life jackets, a long rope, ice pics and cleats. ABSOLUTELY NO atvs or snowmo's.

Rain/snow mix is starting to fall as I type this, not looking good for the ice.

Brian

glenn57

thanks for the update brian, i personally wont hit the ice up there till dec 10th. but then look out. its been raining here in ramsey all day like a june all day rain!

Jim Almquist

Glenn here you are talking about a all day rain and that is just what I want to get rid of the snow so the ice making will go faster winkgrin

Not a drop in Carlton yet but it sure is close.

glenn57

cant argue with your theory there jim! laugh its been raining good all day so far. hearsay says about 6 it will turn to snow. yea i get to drive to sioux falls tomorrow.

Jim Almquist

Hope you don't have to leave to early. The roads could be a little slick and that could make for one long %$# drive.

glenn57

leavin by 6 am. cryeek then after i be done there its off up to fargo!

Derek Vos

I got out on a small lake near marcell today and hammered the crappies. my buddy and i had our limit in about an hour. There was 2 inches by shore 6inches out in the middle 4 weregood black clear ice and 2 were frozen slush.

glenn57

ok, its gettin close, any new reports of ice thicknesses around spring lake talmoon area?? be headed that way early fri am.

snowfighter

Have'nt hear exact inches but there are some houses out in front of Big Jessie access and east side Little Turtle.Heard also theres some out on Bowstring all by hand or 4 wheeler of course.

glenn57

snowfighter, seen or heard anymore details? how much snow is on the ground up there? do you know a bill polchow, john martin?

snowfighter

Around Talmoon area theres around 8 inches snow it seems to of settled down some with the warm day last week.Report from someone on Bowstring that theres 8 inches ice this would be east shore by rock pile area. Was in Bemidji all day seen someone putting a house out by had in front of GreenMill when we were having lunch. I'm going to get over to Big Jessie in the next day or so and do some checking finishing get my house ready.I know John and may have met the Bill you mentioned does he live up highway 6.

glenn57

yea bill lives down the otenogen road from what he says! he works with me now. boilermakers union. asst bus mgr's. john is in field construction for the union, good guy. the 8 inches is better than the foot i heard. will be up there early fri am. thanks for the info.

boatfixer

Is Bill around 40 or so? I graduated with his wife if he is. They do live just off the oteneagan rd. Talking with his father in law not long back and he did mention his son in law is a boiler maker

jigglestick

the scrounge and I hit Moose last night for our official first trip out fishing on the ice.

checked and measured 6 inches of ice near the reeds 30 feet from shore then made our way out following atv tracks for a ways.

people have been out there and there is even a smallish hard house out there.

we went out in the neighborhood of voights bar and found an inside corner that has treated us well in the past.

no walleyes, few perch and 9 inches of good ice.

last weekend of muzzle loader then I'm hitting the big lake

the honda is gonna get a workout now wink

Greg Clusiau

Hey Jiggles! Nice to hear from you. Keep us posted. Maybe we can hook up again this winter. Thanks.

jigglestick

Hi greg,

yep, it's that time of the year, work and deer hunting are just about done now so time to think ice.

I'll be bouncing around a bit before christmas, but hitting the big lake hard after christmas.

I'm easy to find grin

robg785

Jiggles- I'm going to hit moose this Saturday. Have been chomping at the bit to get on the ice. Let me know if you need a hand getting houses on the big lake when you get started. If your gonna be home at Saturday I may stop by to pick up a sweatshirt. will give call ahead of time though.

jigglestick

Hi Rob, I am going muzzle loading this weekend.last weekend for that.

I can save a shirt for you all I have left are XL but I have shirts too in most sizes so you'll be safe.

moose has a couple perms on it now so I think your good to go. if there is any area that concerns me, it would be the north west 1/4 of the lake. that part of the lake had issues but of course has since frozen over. I wouldn't be surprised to see 5 inches out there but it is likely a bit more than that. we don't screw around up there to much any how.

walking out from the south or east landings should be good even atvs or snow mobiles.

as always, use your head. I am in no way proclaiming "safe ice". it's never safe

Doctor J

Was out on moose yesterday. Looked like a good 5-6 inches of ice. Pretty clear ice as well. Caught 1 big northern in about 18 ft in the AM, no walleyes in AM or for the evening bite. I was fishing a breakline in 18-20 ft. Jigglestick, You guys fish that depth usually?

jigglestick

I target 16 feet of water and go from there.

one thing I like to look for is watch the bottom and try to set up on sand/gravel, not that carpet weed that is common out there.

it seems like that junk is spreading every where out there.

used to be able to find wide open sand bottom but it seems to be over run.

find a sandy gravel bottom and run one jigging spoon with a head and another deadstick with a plain glow number 4 hook and shiner.

moose seems to have a very tight window in the evening.

the bit if your lucky will last an hour. in my experience, usually less.

nice fish, but the lake can be stingy.

bmc

Typical afternoon on Moose goes like this.

Set up at 3:30 and catch perch till about 4:30. Then there's a 10-15 minute lull, and if you're on the right spot, the walleyes show up around 4:45 and bite for a half hour to an hour. I don't think I've ever fished past 6pm out there.

At this time of year, I like that 16' range too as jigglestick said.

I wish the perch were a little bigger, so when the 'eyes don't cooperate so well, a guy could add some perch to the bucket.

Brian

glenn57
Is Bill around 40 or so? I graduated with his wife if he is. They do live just off the oteneagan rd. Talking with his father in law not long back and he did mention his son in law is a boiler maker
yea he's somewhere in that area, maybe a bit higher. met his wife, think shes a techer not sure said she went to north elementry till 3rd grade, thats right by us.