• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• glenn57

• snowfighter

• Greg Clusiau

• jigglestick

Thin ice on smaller lakes around the edges and shallow areas. I will not be long with colder weather coming.

Sniffer

I was hoping to get out by the end of next week, but I'm sure the wind today has ruined whatever ice there was on local lakes.

Impatiently waiting!

Brian

hey brian, seeing as my main ice informant is no longer with us, can i get in touch with you to find out about ice and weather conditions before i travel north? do you get a pretty good idea of ice conditions up by spring lake?

Round was mostly ice covered with some open water in the 20' trench. There were about 100 swans in the open water. I was wondering if they were going to show up this year because they usually come earlier. There was quite a bit of jumble ice piled up on the south shore in front of our camp. It was solid out 20 yards from shore but much weaker past that.

Dora Lake north of there was all froze over yesterday when we came home from cabin.
snow fighter, where exactly is your place? we are near the spring lake store on cty rd 29 headed that way........wirt, dora lake.

Ask away glenn, that's what I'm here for.

As far as ice conditions in the Spring Lake area, I typically don't get up that way to ice fish. I might head up that way this winter though to see if some rumors I heard are true.

The deputies keep me up to date on where they see fishing activity when they're out patroling.

One thing is for sure, this stupid snow is screwing things up!!! mad

Brian

thanks brian, ok gotta ask what rumors about what lakes?????? winklaugh i might be able to add to those rumors!!!!!!!!!!

I'm accross from Little Turtle on Hwy 6, which I see today is still open in the center. If you are on Peterson I think from some of your posts in the past your folks might of bought the cabin from my folks back around 1960 if you are who I think. Are you on Dallas RD. next to the access?

WOW, small world! yea we are, last place before what we call pine point and the acess. i believe it was 1964 or 1965. and if my memory serves me my parents bought it from a bob, robert sharr, speeling not there i am sure. is that your family? he used to live where they guy that is part owner of hayslips used to live. so did your family own it or but it to fix it up or build the cabin to sell? i know we sure LOVE the place!! did some up grades and added on to it also before cancer got the best of my dad. we may need to hook up and visit some day!!!!!!!!!

Thats my folks, they built and used the places for awhile but were to close to home so when they sold they bought some land in Canada and built a cabin, owned for 30 years and sold in the early 90's. I'm retired so I'm around most of the time. We got around 8-10 inches light snow with 3-7 forecast for today/night. My wheel house may set in the yard this year.

awe....... its early yet. thinkin with little or no ice with that first batch of snow it wont hurt the ice much. with a handle of snow fighter do you push/plow snow? so do you go over that way now and then to reminse? heard the north school was bought and a family is going to convert into a house. did you know rocky over at the spring lake store? this is cool we gotta [PoorWordUsage] one day.

Worked Hwy maintenance for 31 years,plowing was one of the seasons.New rocky very well.Have'nt been in there for quit some time.Went to North School when it first opened.Was think we have probally passed in different places at times may even look at each other and say thats who you are he he.

SO, your the guy who wouldnt plow the road and then they had to put in a new public access road to peterson!!!!!!!! LOL! grinlaughcrazy i sure like that little lake behind the school! gotta ?. we have a lawn tractor with a snowblower on it but if we cant get in is there anyone in the area that could plow/blow it out for a reasonable fee. it would only be half way as the first half from the highway is plowed already. really stunk when i heard about rocky. dont go out much up there, to rileys if anywhere, sometimes to the hill in sqwauw lake. occasionally stop at hayslips, matter of fact my kid was in there last fri nite. do you fish little turtle? i speared it once. heard about it from jack cualkins. over by the access on the east side. had a bunch of taxidermy work done by the late ray nyberg.

Mainly fish the Jessie's and Bowstring. I've been in the area my whole life,Had a place on Big Jessie for 10 years then on Bowstring for 15 have been by Talmoon since 2005 tryed Little Turtle the first winter/spring I was here but alot of perch,caught some walleye in may/june.I've fished alot of the lake in the surrounding area but more the one's I mentioned above. I have also had taxidermy work by Ray deer/fish mounts,to bad he's not still with us.I think one of the owners at hayslips does plowing,also Talmoon Repair 832-3304,Snowbuster plowing 832-3252 don't know their prices as I have done my own.

thanks for the info snowfighter. SOOOOOOO, WHATS THE SNOW DOING TO THE ICE MAKING PROCESS????????? especially the small lakes. peterson freezes up easy worried about the snow.

Little Turtle froze over, by Big Jessis yesterday north and south ends froze up but center main part open,would think Bowstring would still be open.

Anybody have any info on Graves Lake? Also, is there any other species to target besides Northerns? This will be my first year fishing it.

Glenn just reread your post about plowing the access we never had anything to do with that.I think they changed the road in so it didn't go accross yours and others property.I remember when there was a access on acermen when the road was the old way.Have you ever caught walleye in petersen we did once or twice during the cabin years.

in ALL the years and hours we spent in a spear house and/or wet a line we never came across a walleye of any sort. about 4 years ago my nephew and brother seen one in the spearhouse. the following year first ice weekend a friend caught one on a tipup. nothing since. there are some nice bass in there, northerns are small and the sunfish and crappies have a whole lot to be desired! remember the good old days. the lakes froze out 3 times since its been in our ownership. the last time really raised cane with the panfish.

Thanks Greg,

I have never been on the lake before but have a place to stay real close.

I like to spear northern but also like to run and gun for the gills. Any areas you would start out there?