• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Current Rooster Reports

Arago

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arago

• NELS-BELLS

• 123fish

• tori's dad

Been hunting western MN, the roosters are getting wise now and mostly getting up out of range, but there are birds around, wouldn't mind a little snow on the ground out there.

At my girlfriends, I've seen dozen of roosters deer hunting. Most look like 1 to 2 year old birds.

I'm going out on Saturday with her and her cousin. Hopefully we can take a limit or two!

They live next to a very large swamp, with lots of CRP cover and corn fields. The bird count is RIDICULOUS. I think there could possibly be 100 or more birds in a 400 or 500 acre area. Just a guess, but that's what i would assume. I've seen groups of 25 birds in the corn.

Super stoked to get out again now that deer hunting is done for slug hunters.

Shot them up pretty good Fri.- Sun. Far southwest corner. Big advantage is growing up here and and knowing every little spot that might hold a rooster and having access to these small spots. Also two good dogs and shooting pretty well doesn't hurt either. If I had to give one tip whether it is public or private land be sure to check out any red willow patch there is on the land you are hunting no matter how small. They are pheasant magnets for sure.

If I had to give one tip whether it is public or private land be sure to check out any red willow patch there is on the land you are hunting no matter how small. They are pheasant magnets for sure.

Ditto, shot my two roosters yesterday by focusing on these, saw three more and at least that many hens. Only place the birds were hanging yesterday.

South central-Owatonna area. I think ive already seen more birds this year compared to last year. Tons of hens, which is great to see. I havent seen any get up out of range, ive notice them sitting very very tight. My dogs have have running right next to them 2-3 times b4 i get a flush.

Been hunting public land SW of Sauk Centre and I would say the hen to rooster ratio is about 10 to 1, but I'm sure that is due to the heavy hunting pressure that the public land in that area gets. It seems like their are more pheasant hunters in that area every year.

Nels

Nels,

I've been seeing the same thing you have. It seems like there are a lot more hunters in that area than usual. I was around there this morning and talked to a guy who drove up from Eagan. I also saw about a half dozen other trucks parked at different gates. We shot two roosters, missed another and didn't see a hen for the first time this year. Let me know if you ever need some hunting company.

shot two monday in heavy snow cover- all crp weeds were as flat as a parking lot- birds were in cattail slough in knee deep water- it looked like jump shooting ducks as the water fell off the wings when they jumped to fly. yesterday got two more in a public hunting spot near st james in thick cover ie: willows - dog has pointed out most of the birds i have bagged this year- 4 yr old black lab = Jack- good luck out there and be safe.

was out this past sun. and saw about 30 birds. some of the roosters sat really tight. manage 2 for 2 people, not great shooting! had plenty of opportunities for a limit. fun to see so many birds in one area (central mn).

2 more roosters today on public hunting in worthington area- great day to be out- saw a ton of snow geese and mallards in waterfowl production area- just like the old days. laugh

• 2 weeks later...

Was out yesterday befor the snow and managed 2 roosters. We saw about 8, but they jumped up to soon. also seen about ten hens yesterday.

Today was a bitter morning with only hens flushed.

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Good numbers of birds around central mn. Been doing goood in the cattails the last 2 weeks. Got a limit today and flushed around 6 more roosters and a pile of hens. Birds are starting to hang together so when you get on one there is more than likely more close by. I absolutely love hunting late season. Very few hunters and plenty of birds if you are willing to work for them!!

I hunted by Lonsdale yesterday and the conditions were bad. The wet heavy snow smashed all the cover down. We found a few roosters in the creek bottoms,and wooded areas on private land. The public spot had tracks in the swamp, but no birds were flushed. We didn't see any hens. Ice was thick enough to hold us so that was nice. I need to get out west.

Might be a hard winter for the south metro pheasants.

We had a five man limit Friday and six more this morning in a couple of hours of hunting. Birds were sitting very tight with a number of them being flushed after the dogs were completely under the grass trying to root them out. Have not been in the cattails yet but I'm guessing the ice should hold you.

Spent the day in the Litchfield area. Had a few flushes but they were all singles. Ended up with one rooster for 3 guys and two dogs. This rooster was the only one that got up within a half mile of us.

The birds were very spooky and flushing wild.

Walked for about 3 hours today......saw somewhere between 10-15 birds with 75% of the birds being roosters!! Hunted about a half hour north and west of willmar! My 11 month old british lab had a blast chasing up all those birds!!

Got out today close to the cities and had to hit spot c due to lots of hunters. Must have got up 25 birds. Best hunt of the year for me. Almost all the birds were in the cattails. Should have been done by 10:30, but bad shooting and the fact that I fell through 3 times and had to go back and change pants, boots and socks.

South of Mankato the snow and ice has covered and flattened all the grassy areas. Found birds in the shrubs and trees of river bottoms. Saw quite a few birds but they were spooky and most flushed wild out of range.

Went out around Paynesville on Saturday and found the birds in the bushes/cattails. 5 of us shot 8 roosters and missed 2 others which would have made the limit. Lots of hens flushed too.

I've got to quit hunting public land! I went out for about 4 hours on Friday and again yesterday for 4 hours. I hunted a bunch of different public areas between Regal and Belgrade and only saw hens. Judging by the amount of human and dog tracks in the snow, I'd say the public land in that area is getting hit hard. The birds either ran or you had to step on them. They did not want to fly! Most of the hens we flushed were in the cattails or heavy grass.

Mornings were terrible. My guess is that the birds were in the neighboring fields during most of the day and would return late in the afternoon. I'm hoping for at least 3" of snow, to keep the birds from running and hopefully discourage some hunters from going out.

Nels

NELS, I have seen the same thing hunting public land the last couple of weeks. The mornings have been horrible. Yesterday morning I didn't see a bird. In the afternoon I only saw 2 roosters. One was a wild flush and the other I didn't trust the dog when she turned around. I saw more orange yesterday afternoon in one area than I have all season. I am only going to hunt private land now until the end of the season.

Gotta pick your times unfortunately on public lands..Thanksgiving Wknd? don't bother..better to wait or go mid week if possible..if not, well

I was out after Thanksgiving hunted public and private in west central MN. Had similar results as stated above and encountered a tough hunt. Makes me wonder if it's worth the trouble and expense. Really bums me out when my pup points and pins a bird and then I can't shoot.

Public land was worthless for pheasant after thanksgiving, got all our birds on private land, Sunday got a 4 man limit, but we had to work hard for it, although we did miss several birds. We averaged about 1 bird per mile walked (killed). Maybe kicked one or 2 up that the dog didn't have on scent. I wouldn't go out without a good dog, unless you just like the exercise.

I've been down around Litchfield and here around home all on public the past week and it's been pretty poor. Did flush a few birds at each spot but all hens. It'd be nice to get the dust out of the barrel - for my lab's sake as well. Half the birds came out of the brush and half in the cattails.

Got out Sunday. Saw lots of hens. Dog had some beautiful points. Grassy areas held most of the hens. Ths sloughs produced the roosters.

Was out near the SD border today and saw quite a few. They're grouped up now after the snow. Half a dozen times I jumped between 30 and 75 birds but they were a solid block away. As soon as I got busted by 1 the whole flock would go. I did manage to catch a couple straglers but mostly just the hens sat still. Looking at a couple of the groups I would say the rooster to hen ratio is about 6 or 7 hens to every rooster. I did manage to cap a coyote that I could'nt find and i wasnt going to test the ice tracking him by myself. He ran out of an island in a slough and stopped in the wide open, when i shot him he did about a 3 ft vertical jump. Think I interupted his pheasant hunting.

I got out yesterday and was surprised by the amount of snow in the sloughs and grass. Some drifts were above my knees. Managed to get one bird and missed two. With the snow tonight and tomorrow, it's going to be hard for the dogs and hunters. Found hens in the cattails sitting tight and a few busting out way ahead. The roosters were in the trees next to the cattails.

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Went out today and all I can say is wow did we get snow.Definately got enough excercise for me and the dog! Hunted some of my better cattail areas and only managed 1 Rooster. The snow really knocked down alot of the cover and I think it may take a few days for the birds to get accustomed to there sorroundings. Hopefully a few others are enjoying the weather and getting out. The birds you take from here on out will be definately earned!!