• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

HSO Cool Cats Ice Fishing Gathering-Mar 5th-Richmond MN

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Mar 5th – Cool Cats – MAP: Horseshoe Chain-Richmond MN

Hosted by: Jeff Borchardt – aka: Borch

I’d like to invite anyone and everyone to one of the most popular events of the season, “Cool Cats”!

Bring the whole family and join us for a great day on the ice.

We will start the day out at sun-up and catch some catfish. We will have holes drilled and folks on hand to share tips and techniques.

At noon we will have a fish fry and pot luck lunch. Catfish will be on the menu! Bring your favorite dishes to share.

Directions:

From I 94 near St Cloud take hwy 23 west to Richmond. Then go south on hwy 22. Use the winter access noted on the map if you will be driving on.(2nd access south of 23) Snowmobiles and ATV can use the DNR access.(first access heading south from 23)

We will meet at the Methane Hole. (We’ll have a map posted and you can ask questions – Click Here)

Don’t miss this very popular event.

Come for the day, or just stop on by for a while.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Borch

• Brad B

• pushbutton

• Rick G

Top Posters In This Topic

jeff,

please get a hold of me if you need help with anything.......ah, er, well....associated with the event......really dont want to rake your yard grin

jeff,

please get a hold of me if you need help with anything.......ah, er, well....associated with the event......really dont want to rake your yard grin

I already raked my yard!

But if you're in a bagging mood I might be able to help you out.

Thanks for the offer guys. As we get closer I'll get in contact.

It's been a fun event for sure. Last year fishing was tough but most years we do pretty well.

Yes they did. This never comes soon enough and always is over too fast. I believe this will be #8 in 9 yrs.

That's the way it was last winter. But every year is different.

Borch

can't wait. I already have it on my calender. hopefully this year will be better when it comes to the number of fish caught. if you need help let me know and I can see what I can do.

It's one of the longest running and well attended events here at HSO.

A lot of fun, and great place to chase some cats, and meet some peeps!

Not only that, but what a blast to catch cats through the ice, I spent almost every weekend up there last year.

Hey all, glad to see this invite!

Went for Cats my first time ever last year at this event...one bite/hook up and reeled up 10 feet before the cat decided he liked the water better than the fry pan. Did not catch a single fish but hooked me on Cats forever.

I would love to get Icehouse Bobs BEANS recipe...any help there??? If anyone has it, please send it to [email protected]

Thanks again for last year, and looking forward to this year...my wife always loves it when I find another way to spend money on tackle:-) heh, heh!

• 1 month later...

Borch,

have you talked to icehouse bob lately. it wouldn't be the same if he was not there with his beans. to those of you that have never been there the beans are worth the trip to the get together alone even if the fishing is slow.

Not yet Brad.

Bob is very involved though and the beans serve as a reminder of his contribution long after people leave the event to go home. wink

Hey Borch, how big are you trying to make this event? I am going to bring my buddy Joe, the Aquarium Manager from Cabela's and between he and I we could probably spread the word quite a bit.

We welcome all of those who'd like to give it a try and enjoy each other's time on the ice. There's lots of space to spead out in and we've had folks join us who didn't even know about the event but saw us all over there fishing and stopped to check us out.

Lots of fun for sure!

Borch I will be ready to clean fish like last year and once again Joey said thats what he want s to do for his Bday which is the following day.

We will be there Hope that Icehousebob brings those beans again they were great speacilly on the ride home wink

I've never been to any of these things, but am only about an hr or so from Richmond. I'm seriously thinkin about joining evryone for the festivities, but I'm a rookie at the whole get together thing. NOT a rookie fisherman though smile

Get togethers are fun!

Great opportunuties to meet folks you see post all the time. People are willing to share what works for them and want every to have a good time.

Sometimes I don't even fish, the talking is so good. wink

Sometimes I don't even fish, the talking is so good. wink

or the way your cooking is so intresting snap,crackel,pop whistle

I never even got the ice rod out last time

It's in my blood to fish, I could never go to a body of water and not fish, that would be sacrilege to me.. lol.. Think I will attend and finally meet a few people from here!

• 3 weeks later...

after all this snow I hope it will stop before march so we can still have this event. I would hope by then someone would have a road plowed out to the meth hole. I want to get up there really bad but this snow has stopped me since I don't have a snowmobile. hopefully that will change this spring if I can pick up one at the end of the season for a cheap enough price.

Ill be coming, probably with my buddy Adam.. I ice fish quite a bit but don't know squat about catfishing through the ice. So closer to the event ill need a couple recommendations of jigs to bring

First off we're looking forward to any folks new to fishing cats though the ice. For the more seasoned guys who fish it a lot it's usually more about helping folks out and connecting. I'm planning on posting a short tutorial on euipment, lures and techniques a few weeks prior to the event to help out any folks new to catfishing through the ice. Until then there will be lots of great info posted in the Horseshoe chain thread.

Craigum's, I tried to send you a detailed e-mail in regards to the channel fishing on the Horseshoe but it bounced back and I used the address you listed in the Get Together post for the Horsheshoe chain.

Borch,

you may want to put out the equipment list now and then. last year when you put it out I had a hard time finding the red colored rattlin' flyer spoons. I did fix that this year by stocking up on them when the season started. I should be good to go come cool cats.

Here you go. Here's my equipment post from last winter with a few mods. If you're having a tough time tracking down the Lindy Rattlin Flyer Spoons in the sizes or colors your looking for they can be ordered directly from Lindy HERE. The new 1/16 oz slick jig is going to get some cat time by me this winter as the larger size did a great job calling them in to look but they rarely hit the bigger jig. This smaller offering has got me excited.

Well Cool Cats is just around the corner and I thought I’d go through some of the tackle and gear I like to use for ice fishing channels on the Horseshoe chain. First is the electronics. I use both the Marcum lx5 and the Hummingbird Ice55 flashers. These catfish can show up anywhere in the water column. Often the most active fish are cruising 10-15 ft off the bottom. If you’re not using electronics you’re just not going to catch these cruisers that tend to be more active. Also the electronics help to be ready for these often light biting fish. Often they will sit on a bait for long periods of time before lightly sucking in your offering. If you’re using a bobber it will be seen as a small twitch. If you’re jigging you’ll likely not notice it.

DSC00638.jpg

There are lots of rods that will work for icing cats. I really like the Jason Mitchell Meat Stick for a jigging rod when the bite is light. The tip acts as a spring bobber and it gets into backbone quickly. Otherwise, any medium-light to medium action rod spooled with 4 or 6 lb test will get the job done.

For bite detection I like the Ice buster Bobber by Today’s Tackle that can be trimmed to be very sensitive to even the lightest bite. The Rod Rocker II, also made by Today’s Tackle, is a great bite detection system especially in the fish house or on the ice on calm days. The lightest tap will bob the rod without alerting the fish. The new Venom bobbers that are adjustable without actually cutting the bobber itself work very well also.

DSC00639.jpg

Now for the jigs and spoons I like to use. The Lindy Rattlin Flyers are my favorite cat spoon with the glow red being my go to color. I also likeJB Lures Rattlin Varmits in glow red or white. I’ve also caught more cats than I can count on Go Devil spoons. I use 1/16 to 1/8 oz versions when targeting cats. I also use #4 or #6 Lindy Frostie Jigs, Custom Jigs and Spins Demons and JB Lures Ju Ju in various glow colors.

At times you need to charge up the glow bait to get them glowing bright. A tazer light or other intense LED light will get this done. Also forceps or a needle nose pliers are handy for getting hooks out of the tough tissue around the cats mouth.

Now for the catfish bait itself. Using half a fathead, cut sucker, cut shiner or a piece of chicken liver will get the interest of a hungry channel cat. All will work whether on a deadstick or jigging set up.

For a lot more great info on fishing cats on the chain check out this THREAD.

Good Luck!

thanks borch for posting this for the new guys. It will help them get the stuff together in time for the get together. I was thinking of trying that glow red slick jigs also. I picked up 5 in the 1/16th size along with 5 of the glow red rattlin flyer spoons in 1/16th also.

Better pick some up in good old glow green too. I havent had much luck on the glow red so far this year but things could change by the time the event rolls around.

Glow does seem to outproduce non glowing jigs more times than not. Glow red is always a stsasrting point for me but like riverfishingmiss stated green, white and even blue glowe can be more effective at times. So it's good to have options. I just put in an order yesterday for several of the new techniglow colors lindy now has in the 1/16th and 1/8th oz sizes.

The white glow demon with a red stripe has been a hot bait for me as well ver the years.