• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

Fishing Report Clubs - Make Your Own "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"!

Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see detailed info that is shared. CLICK HERE to join.

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
LandDr

Mergansers...what do you do with them?

LandDr

So we had a couple fish ducks come into the decoys, look like a regular diver...until you pic them up.

What do you do with them...eat'em?

Cook them for your friends?

Cook them with an old leather shoe...and then eat the shoe?

Does anyone actually eat these things?

Gordie

Make jerky out of them a friend of mine did that and another did it with coots he said you couldnt tell the difference but I never got any..

On a side note I bet its jerky that will last all day grin

CANOPY SAM

I let them fly! I mean I don't shoot them... Har Har har...

It probably sounds kind of picky, but I don't even shoot woodies or teal either. I try to only shoot game I plan to eat, and I don't care for wood ducks in the pan, teal are just too small, and hardly worth the cost of the shell, and mergansers, well they're just so darn ugly!

Just IMO.

Gordie

Canopy thanks for letting the teal fly by I think those are the best eating duck out there I know not the biggest but to me the tastest

CANOPY SAM

Hey, no prob elwood! You can have all of mine! I just tell em' old Canopy sent ya'! grin

bobbymalone

mergansers taste like sucking on a penny. i would jerky it if you are so equipped. pretty much everything can be made palatable by jerkying it.

LandDr

Most of what I seen on the internet was to either Jerky them or back them with a shingle...and then eat the shingle.

I did see one of wrapping with bacon and cooking with onions.

I also usually just pass on them, but I didn't realize what they were until we picked them out of the water...nasty things! Then we kept an eye out for them and just didn't shoot. But I have never seen so many of them before...it was flock after flock of the dang things...mixed in with divers and woodducks which also have white bellies.

Well, I am from the "shoot it you eat it" as well so I will try to do something with them.

Merganser Hamburger Hotdish...em..em..em.

Finlander

Put them in a freezer laying in a flat extended head position, then later, use them as lawn darts! grin

magnum mike

They taste like an old minnow bucket smells. Let'em go to the next guy.

+1 on the teal! You need 8 of them to make a sandwich but they are the tastiest duck IMHO.

luckycrank

let them go to the guys who think there shooting a 6 1/2 shell.

and then laugh like mad when you hear em shooting at em' and yell yummmy!!!!!

Walleye Guy

Wrap the breast pieces in bacon and then grill them. Bacon makes everything palatable. Note I didn't say good.

What is the hardest part about cooking waterfowl? Getting them out of the freezer!

#fishhunt#

I try not to shoot them but if I do I will use them for dog training and give them to others that dog train. Otherwise a Drake Hooded Merganser looks pretty cool with the hood crest fluffed up and mounted on a piece of driftwood.

superhawk16

wrapped in bacon is good. Another one that I have been doing this season is throw them in the slow cooker on low for 6-10 hours (less for little ducks more for geese) and fill the slow cooker with coke. It will look pretty nasty after its done because all of the tendons get broken down but once you drain it off it is fine. Once you have gotten rid of the nastiness pull apart the breasts (like shredded pork) and put them back into the slow cooker for an hour or so with some onions, peppers, and your favorite BBQ sauce. Makes for some pretty good "pulled lawn dart" barbecues.

shnelson

I try not to shoot them but if I do I will use them for dog training and give them to others that dog train. Otherwise a Drake Hooded Merganser looks pretty cool with the hood crest fluffed up and mounted on a piece of driftwood.

+1, except the last one I brought home the dog didn't want anything to do with either!

walleyehunter80

ha ha ha lawn dart!!! Yeah i dont shoot those sick looking things, same with not shooting COOT! But yeah I guess you did, now you have to eat it and thats even funnier smile

walleyehunter80

oh yeah and jerky will NOT make it taste any better

CANOPY SAM

The lawn dart idea is a good one!

LandDr

I did the breasts wrapped in bacon slid onto scewers and cooked on the grill last night...excellent!

But...it was not the lawn dart skewers yet. smile

I went with the mallards and bills last night and they were just incredible.

I will get my nerve up and try the same on the lawn darts maybe tomorrow night. Merganser Skewers...em...em...em. smile

I will let you know how it works out.

(Nasty little fish ducks! I made sure we passed on them last night so we ended up with bills, woodducks and even a spooner. The ducks were just piling into our rice pond...amazing to watch!)

bemidjibasser

crock pot them in a stew mix and brown gravy mix and a bunch of carrots, taters, onions, and a touch of garlic... otherwise marinated in italian dressing and wrapped in bacon and grilled is good or make kabobs after marinating too.

Lunker

I don't shoot them. If I do shoot them(or my other not so picky friends do) I breast them out and throw them in with the dogs food. He loves them, and I figure since he retrieves them he should get a taste now and then!

Or give them to my friend who says 'deep fried they all taste the same'...

brittman

kitty ... here kitty, kitty

magnum mike

All kidding aside, feeding birds to your dog can create some awfully bad habits. I have seen the dog develop a taste for duck and take a few to shore for himself.

Musky Buck

I simply don't shoot em, when I was like 14 in 1983 I snuck up on a flock of them thinking from the road with naked eye they were mallards, quite a ways away, snuck up and the whole flock "dove' walked out and dad asked what happened, I said they dove and kept diving and they weren't greenheads dad lol.

TonkaBass

I have eaten coots, mergs, and normal ducks all grilled with bacon and they all taste the same. Most people that say they taste bad have never actually tried them. Wild game is only as good as the recipe you use. My geese I make into jerky. Ducks are smaller breats and I use for grilling, dishes, and slow cooking. And canopy, why don't you like woodducks?

Gordie

Wild game is only as good as the recipe you use.

AMEN TONKABASS

LandDr

Well here's ther verdict...I cooked them fish ducks up last night. Wrapped them in bacon and slid the skewer thru them...put them on the grill until they were done nice.

Looked great!

Tasted just fine...just like you said, couldn't tell the difference.

But...I just couldn't get the thought of that pointy little fish eating beak out of my mind. I ate two halves and started on the third but I just couldn't keep going.

Again...they tasted just fine, just like the other divers. But that wasn't the issue.

I would say that I think the mallard, teal and woodduck were a little more mellow tasting however and better texture. But not enough difference to complain about.

I will say that duck wrapped in bacon on a skewer over the grill is a fantastic way to prepare a duck! Very good stuff. A small piece of crispy bacon with each bite of duck was excellent. I need to whip up my shotgun sauce some time as well.

Good posts and it was enough to get me to try eating that fish duck anyway...but I think I will just try really hard not to shoot them anymore. smile

mwal

At least you tried them. I marinade all of my duck in a teriaki based marinade and grill to medium rare. I mix all species together including coots and mergansers and spoonies and no one knows or complains and there are never left overs. IMHO I have more mallards that are gamey smelling and tasting than any other specie. I only use a marinade now no more plucking and roasting.

Mwal

dan z

We pass up spooners and Mergansers. I dont care want anyone says you can tell the differant in ducks. Well i can.

TonkaBass

Dan z... I will cook a chunk wrapped inn bacon of mallard, spoonbill, merg, and coot and I will bet you duck boats that you can't tell me which is which smile

Muthagoose

Shot my limit the last 5 days. First birds dropped each morning have been Hoods.

Tonka's totaly right if done correctly...

I used orange and apple juice with 3 cloves of crushed garlic and chili powder,marinate for 24 hours and grill to med...;; Ate duck Fajitas ande chili all week...

I dont see why they limit them to 2 day.. Ive NEVR seen so many and such big flocks,,,

Can't wait till the big commons swing in,should be after next wek.. Gonna skip deer hunting for MORE decoy time..