• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2011 Twins

broodwich

Texas has a recycled Molina brother, Treanor, etc. Joe is immensely talented and you better make good on your dozen or so post-season at bats. If Joe were an outfielder I'd make this trade, Joey Votto and Jay Bruce for Morneau and Mauer, very hypothetical but even steven as far as I'm concerned. All 4 of those guys have something in common, none of em did squat in the playoff's, hey how's Morneau's coconut ?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zamboni

• mrklean

• Musky Buck

• thorski

My brother-in-law built Morneau's house, should've told him to go with padded walls and floors for his concussed coconut. Did any of you lie to your coaches/trainers/doctors about an injury before ? In his shoes being guaranteed nothing in the future for playoff baseball, I would've lied like crazy just to at least be an available pinch hitter in the post-season. For me that's the aggravating part about it. I hope today he isn't at 100% upstairs.

It is easy for us to say we would have lied, BUT with some of the folks he is connected to and the horror stories they told him, I would say knowing who you are and walking upright when you are 50 is more important then being on a Twins post season roster... as a fan it is frustrating, but as a person, I completely understand.

As far as Mauer and the perception that he is paid too much..... looking at the Twins as a BUSINESS, because that is what they are... Signing Mauer to a long term, lucrative deal is a GREAT business investment.

It is easy for us to say we would have lied, BUT with some of the folks he is connected to and the horror stories they told him, I would say knowing you are and walking upright when you are 50 is more important then being on a Twins post season roster... as a fan it is frustrating, but as a person, I completely understand.

As far as Mauer and the perception that he is paid too much..... looking at the Twins as a BUSINESS, because that is what they are... Signing Mauer to a long term, lucrative deal is a GREAT business investment.

+1

Salary Cap

What's the point when one team has a huge advantage over the other teams?

The bad part about the cap is that you can spend more. If you go over, you have to take that amount over and divide it between the other teams and pay them.

George did not care. Thats the bad part about the Baseball salary cap.

It should be, you cannot spend more than the cap.

Thats my understanding of it anyways.

But I thought this discussion was about what the Twins need to do to get better and actually win a playoff series, not what the Twins need to do to be more profitable?

Can you explain how we are soft because of Gardy?

Can you give me the name of another coach, in any sport that has gone 0-12 in the playoffs and kept his job? There are NONE.

You and a few others might have a witty comeback-

"At least he's making the playoffs" Yeah, and other coaches that don't are standing in the unemployment line. Whats worse- being really bad, KC Royals bad and not make the playoffs, or be decent- Minnesota Twins decent, make the playoffs and not do ANYTHING? About the same to me. We do get to hang a pennant up next year. Wooptyfriggindoo. Seriously guys, I have friends from NY, and it is embarrasing.

Well do you expect Twins management to go out and spend over $200 million to keep up with the Yankees. I just don't understand what Gardenhire could have done differently, do you?

Well do you expect Twins management to go out and spend over $200 million to keep up with the Yankees. I just don't understand what Gardenhire could have done differently, do you?

Baseball needs to be fixed. There are things wrong with the Twins but that is not the big problem. Will it ever get fixed...Not till Bud dies and the get a commissioner that has a pair.

The bad part about the cap is that you can spend more. If you go over, you have to take that amount over and divide it between the other teams and pay them.

George did not care. Thats the bad part about the Baseball salary cap.

It should be, you cannot spend more than the cap.

Thats my understanding of it anyways.

it's not a salary cap, it's a luxury tax.

There are pitching moves, line up changes that have nothing to do with our payroll. Putting Crain in at wrong time, letting Liriano go too long, etc. Yes, our ownership needs to spend a few more bucks, and with the new stadium that taxpayers helped pay for I feel they owe it to us as Twins fans. BTW- the Rangers got it done against the best team in baseball, but name more than 5 players on the team. Off the bat I can only name 2- Hamilton and Lee. I think we outspent them this season, I am too lazy to look

There are pitching moves, line up changes that have nothing to do with our payroll. Putting Crain in at wrong time, letting Liriano go too long, etc. Yes, our ownership needs to spend a few more bucks, and with the new stadium that taxpayers helped pay for I feel they owe it to us as Twins fans. BTW- the Rangers got it done against the best team in baseball, but name more than 5 players on the team. Off the bat I can only name 2- Hamilton and Lee. I think we outspent them this season, I am too lazy to look

are you kidding dude?

The Rangers are stacked

You never heard of Vlad?

Michael Young?

Kinsler?

Cruz?

Cantu?

Molina?

are you kidding dude?

The Rangers are stacked

You never heard of Vlad?

Michael Young?

Kinsler?

Cruz?

Cantu?

Molina?

Rangers were 26th in payroll this year, Twins were 13th and only 15 million more would put them in the top 7.

The Twins are becoming exactly what everyone hates the Yankees for being only they are not suceeding at it as well.

But I thought this discussion was about what the Twins need to do to get better and actually win a playoff series, not what the Twins need to do to be more profitable?

Point taken Dave, but Mauer is here and will get paid the entire contract he has signed so whining about it isn't making the Twins better for 2011.

The Twins are in a tough spot because the free agent market isn't ripe with their needs... speed, power arm AND we have to figure out what we are doing in the bullpen. Crain, Guerrier, Rauch all free agents... not to metion Pavano...

It will be interesting for sure...

With our payroll the way it was this year it may have been the worst post-season lay-down i've ever seen.

are you kidding dude?

The Rangers are stacked

You never heard of Vlad?

Michael Young?

Kinsler?

Cruz?

Cantu?

Molina?

You got 6 names. Vlads played for everyone, and theres a Molina brother on every team in the majors but the Twins, so you lose 2 on default. I will give ya the rest tho. Of the Ron/Ron/Joe/Joe's in the post-season, I give manager of the year to the Ron not in Minnesota. Done more with less

Power arms and Cy Young throwers give you a chance after 9 innings that a zero could still be on the board and you don't have to lean on the bullpen as much, there's a reason those guys are in the middle relief pen.

I know concussions vary but how is it like Jay Cutler is back in football for sure to get hit mode after a week and it looks like Rodgers may be ready this sunday, what's Morneaus situation.

Justin has had more then 1 i think this is his 3rd? one from hockey days, one 2 years ago when he got popped in the head then this one, they only get worse ask troy akiman.

I know concussions vary but how is it like Jay Cutler is back in football for sure to get hit mode after a week and it looks like Rodgers may be ready this sunday, what's Morneaus situation.

because concussions vary; that's why

yes, each person's brain reacts differently to the concussion, along with the actual part of the brain that swells.

• 4 weeks later...

Sell the team to a new owner that knows how to spend money and get the players in here to get the team over the hump.

Mediocre team with a good coach doesn't get you far.

Sell the team to a new owner that knows how to spend money and get the players in here to get the team over the hump.

Mediocre team with a good coach doesn't get you far.

tell that to the SF Giants.

I would tell them that, any team can get lucky but it doesn't mean much. We'll see how well they repeat. The difference is MN sports teams are never that lucky.

You can call up the Twins owner and tell him since the Giants won it all with a mediocre team that they can do it next year!!

Rangers were also a much better team than the Twins and thier team salary was less than the Twins.

Does NO good to spend a bunch of money on all the wrong players. Ask the Cubs.