• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

St Croix River to No Wake Status by 28 September

SteveD

St Croix River level prediction is for 683 feet by Tuesday, 28 September which will put the river in a No Wake status. Forecast shows it reaching 684.5 feet by Thursday, September 30th. That should pretty much slow down the cruisers - I'm not too worried about the sturgeon bite as I had good luck a few years ago when the river levels were high, it doesn't seem to slow down the sturgeon that much.

full-8403-1360-28sep2010.png

That is very interesting info Steve. Thanks for the heads up. I am new to the croix, as I've only been on it a handful of times the past couple weeks sturgeon fishing so I don't know what "normal" water level and current is like. Is the "no wake status" a pretty rare thing? Does this happen every year? Is the current out there much stronger than it is at "normal" conditions? It will definitely be nice to see a few less boats out there for fishing purposes. Running to some spots is going to be out of the question for time constraints so I will have to be strategic on where I launch. I hope this helps the sturgeon fishing. Is there any estimate on the length of the "no wake" status or when water levels will crest and come back down to normal?

I've always had a strong dislike for no wake zones, especially long ones. If a boat is up on plane, there really isn't that much of a wake. Is the croix's no wake status really accomplish anything beneficial of is if more of a precautionary measure?

I've always had a strong dislike for no wake zones, especially long ones. If a boat is up on plane, there really isn't that much of a wake. Is the croix's no wake status really accomplish anything beneficial of is if more of a precautionary measure?

There really isn't that much of a wake, Huh!! I can tell you are new to the St Croix. If you are a sturgeon fisherman you will find out what the wake from a 25' cruiser feels like even when it is running up on plane. I've busted two radios so far this year that have bounced and banged around in my boat from cruiser wakes - you best secure everything you don't want broken. Your dislike of no wake zones may change significantly. I personally would love to see a nice long no wake zone from about Andersen Bay Point to the Stillwater Bridge from September 1st to 15 October every year.

I am new to the croix, as I've only been on it a handful of times the past couple weeks sturgeon fishing so I don't know what "normal" water level and current is like. Is the "no wake status" a pretty rare thing? Does this happen every year? Is the current out there much stronger than it is at "normal" conditions? It will definitely be nice to see a few less boats out there for fishing purposes. Running to some spots is going to be out of the question for time constraints so I will have to be strategic on where I launch. I hope this helps the sturgeon fishing. Is there any estimate on the length of the "no wake" status or when water levels will crest and come back down to normal??

This website will give you current pool elevation and water temp for the St Croix River: St Croix Water Level & Temperature

This reading is taken by the Corps of Engineers from a river gauge located on the Stillwater Lift Bridge. From this website you can pull down historical data on the St Croix and it will answer all of the questions you raised. In 2005 we had a similar high water situation and I found that the sturgeon fishing was good even with the high water. This pic is a 56" sturgeon caught on 9 October 2005 and the river was in a No Wake status at the time.

You asked about "normal" water levels: 675.5' pool elevation is about the normal summer time stable pool elevation for the St Croix River.

full-8403-1407-9oct0556inchsturgeon.jpg

Yeah - In 2005 the No Wake regulation was in effect but most of the cruisers didn't abide by it. I remember them running right through the High Line area at full tilt and all the sturgeon fishermen were putt putting along at No Wake speed. Kind of pi$$ed you off even more than normal.

I see a wake behind that boat back there. grin

That's good stuff right there.

My first thought when I read the original no wake post was "yea but how many people actually abide by that". I guess that answers my question.

I saw a guy on a jet ski get pulled over for going through prescott at 1/2 throttle once, I have to admit it made me smile thinking of all the fisherman that have been buzzed by a ski turning up a wake.

Well I'll tell you this. Last year we got pulled over in the Kinni narrowsn "no wake area" because we overtook a sheriff boat (didn't know at the time as it was dark).

The funny thing is that we were just above idle speed, enough to keep steering ability on an inboard jet boat but just a bit faster than a outboard prop.

They were upset that we were going faster than them and had to pull us over. We didn't get a ticket, but you better bet that one would have been contested. mad

We asked for the legal definition of "no wake" and they told us only enough throttle to maintain forward propulsion and no more.

saw plently of big cruisers flying around today!!! water wasn't to bad this morning but as the day went on you could see the logs & the garbage floating down keep all eyes open use caution ! no reason to mess up your boat before the best time of the season!!!!

Wow, my first time on the river in the "no-wake status" and I was amazed at the number of boats that disregarded the rule. Probably 75% could have cared less. Fishing boats to cruisers, didn't matter. I was on the river for over 14hrs yesterday and I never saw a single law enforcement boat. I thought for sure they'd be out.

And I'd echo that there was a lot of stuff floating. Stumps, trees, barrels, buckets, etc. And lots of brush piles...I didn't think of it until this morning but I should have fished around them! Might have some crappies hanging underneath.