• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

lines WMA off limits?

It is what it is. Similar to areas around Talcott. While it somewhat bumms me out that a person can't hunt there, it's good for the waterfowl to have a safe haven so to speak.

Many landowners around this WMA are not happy with the way the DNR is handling this project, and the way they plan to flood the area. It will negatively impact farmland and drainage ditches from the WMA on north into Yellow Medicine County.

i dont understand how it will negatively affect the downstreamers? from the looks of it they just collapsed the tile running out and divirted lady slippers overflow into there?

From what I have read, it would be a seasonal wetland, which means flooding of the area once or twice a year. The layout of neighboring farmland means it has the potential of also being flooded. They would be using an old tile system, not collapsing it. That tile is still used by some farms, which could cause backup into the fields. Look at how some areas have backed up into fields from this rain. This area is a little too flat to not affect the surrounding farmland.

Not to mention the lawsuits regarding Lady Slipper along with this tile and ditch system that landowners from Yellow Medicine County brought out. Some guys are still paying for that 15 years after the lawsuit.

The DNR has proposed flooding this area twice before, and twice they have been denied. This time they think they can do it without the county being able to overturn it. They basically had a hearing to see what the landowners had to say, but they will still do what they want with or without support. The landowners are worried about another lawsuit from Yellow Medicine Co landowners, especially since the DNR didn't contact them about this project.

When I moved down here, I was told that there are two things of a farmer's you don't mess with. One is water, the other is his woman. In that order. smirk