• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

had a proud moment today....

gr8icefishinmind

Had a very proud moment today as a first time pup owner!! I have an 8 month old british lab and have been working alot lately with a pheasant dummy with scent, like dragging the dummy around in the yard to a hiding spot then letting the dog out and putting him on the scent trail to find the bird and he has been doing great as far as finding the bird and bringing it right back to me without wanting to chew on it or play with it! ANYWAYS....today i thought i would take him out to a public wildlife area and see if he could pick up on a bird or even kick one up! Well....i got the best of both worlds when we were out walking, a little ways into the walk i see him stop in front of me with is nose up and then his tail begins to go crazy which to me means he is BIRDY. Sure enough, his nose goes down and he begins to trail and eventually flush his first bird.....needless to say i was grinning ear to ear!! it was no hoax either cause we walked a little farther and the tail goes crazy again and nose hits the ground only to flush up a hen!! He does great with staying in front of me and zig zagging back and forth, when he would get out to far ahead or left or right I would say a quick "HUP" and he would correct himself to come closer!

Sorry if you were bored with the rambling but I was a very happy pup owner today knowing that all the work is paying off and let me tell you, i am impressed with this pup and his nose and drive for only being 8 months!! I can't wait for pheasant season to open!!

I love it!! Same thing for me this year with my first pup. Just wait till he retrieves his first bird. You'll be smiling for weeks. Good luck!

He kind of has retrieved a real bird just not one that i shot! haha........found a dead rooster on the highway that was in pretty good shape and have used that a little for training as well but it only lasted for so long! I can't wait for that first flush, shot, and retrieve though!!!

Hey man, hold on to those proud moments. After putting my dog down last March, hunting memories are starting to flood back as I oil the gun, get the kennels out, and make weekend plans. Its just like golf. There will be plenty of mistakes but that one time per trip that everything goes right will make up for all the $$, time and frustrations that came before it.

Congratulations on your proud moment. I had a proud moments on the youth waterfowl day. First, my son shooting his new 12 gauge for the first time filled out by 8:00 am. Had 4 teal come in and none left. Second, our 14 month old British Lab retrieved 5 of the 6. I was grinning from ear to ear the rest of the weekend. It's going to be a fun season.

• 3 weeks later...

Another proud moment today.....BLAYZER got his first flush-retrieve today out pheasant hunting!!! Did a great job staying close.....put a e-collar on but never had to hit the button!!! He is worn out though he's currently passed out on the living room floor!!! haha