• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How do you carry your stand in?

whos_on_first

I recently took up bow hunting and because all the private land I gun hunt is 3.5 hours away minimum, I've been resorting to public land close to home whenever possible.

My biggest issue, is getting my stand in and out every day. I've been using a hang-on with climbing sticks. I strap the climbing sticks on to the back of the stand, then connect other tie-down straps on to the stand to use as shoulder straps. It then goes on my back like a back-pack. It works ok, but having three 5 foot sections of climbing sticks strapped on is bulky and I tend to get it caught up in branches. Then, when I'm out all day I have my back pack strapped to my chest and carry my bow.

Anyone else have a better strategy? I'd like to get a good climber, but it's not quite in the budget at this point, and the trees I want to be in aren't always straight and limb free. And, I'm not sure I want to spend the time screwing in steps. I'm almost debating throwing my ladder stand on my back just to see if it's any better.

I have a bunch of strap-on tree steps that go in my backpack. No way would I carry my climbing sticks in and out each time.

you could buy the LW sticks or the muddy ones. They are compact and look easy to set up. If I was to get climbing sticks it would be one of those 2.

I don't like the climbing sticks for the same reason, they are too bulky and catch on stuff when going through thick areas.

I use a hang on stand and use regular tree steps. With 4 strap-on steps I can get the platform up about 12 feet, which is plenty high for me. I could carry more if needed easily. Those steps fit in my pack. I put the pack on the stand and the stand on my back, the regular shoulder straps on the pack hold on to the stand really well. I currently have some straps for holding the stand on like a backpack, I have also used rope which doubled as a dragging rope, but that wasn't very comfortable for long walks since they cut in my shoulders.

I can't figure out why anyone would want to use a climber type stand. I see guys with them on and they look massive and there is no way they could get through some of the areas I end up in. Might be fine for wide open oak areas, but they still look really heavy and bulky.

I finally switched to the lone wolf hand climber last year and will never go back to a hang on stand for day to day use. It is a bit spendy but well worth the money. Very light, compact and easy to get up and down the tree in. It is more compact than 99% of hang on stands so you will not get caught up in the brush. AT 17.5 lbs it is tough to find too many stands lighter as well. Another option is the Assault style craddle stand but that is a little to hard core for me:)

muskie

I can't figure out why anyone would want to use a climber type stand. I see guys with them on and they look massive and there is no way they could get through some of the areas I end up in. Might be fine for wide open oak areas, but they still look really heavy and bulky.

I can get 30' up a tree in 10 or 15 minutes with my climber. 20lbs is nothing to carry. I can carry it in one hand if I don't want it on my back. Last October I hunted a break where the base of my tree was 7 or 8 feet below the trail I was hunting. Getting 30' up the tree left me with a net 22' above the trail.

Mid day you want to move your stand 100 yards over to another trail? That is a 45 minute task with a climber and you can do it easily by yourself. That's why I use a climber. But I mostly hunt public land so leaving 15 stands up for options isn't really an option.

Are you "hunting" to and from your stand? If not, forget about strapping those 5 foot sticks to your back and just carry them in your free hand. At least you can walk without getting caught up. or attach them at an angle but mostly verticle, this by geometery, will give you the least amount of "over hang" for snags!

when I carry mt stand and climbing sticks in along with my bow and back pack this is how I do it seems to work allright first I stack all of my climbing sticks together I use one strap at each end to cinch them tight so they make as little noise as possible then I take the the loose ends of the straps that I used to tie the sticks together and tie them together to create a shoulder strap. then I attach my stand to my back pack by just running the staps through the bottom of the stand. put the back pack on your shoulders put the climbing sticks on one shoulder and put your bow in the free hand off you go you steer the sticks this way avoiding hang ups. a little practice and you will be able to assemble the whole works in about 5 minutes.

I don't like the climbing sticks for the same reason, they are too bulky and catch on stuff when going through thick areas.

I use a hang on stand and use regular tree steps. With 4 strap-on steps I can get the platform up about 12 feet, which is plenty high for me. I could carry more if needed easily. Those steps fit in my pack. I put the pack on the stand and the stand on my back, the regular shoulder straps on the pack hold on to the stand really well. I currently have some straps for holding the stand on like a backpack, I have also used rope which doubled as a dragging rope, but that wasn't very comfortable for long walks since they cut in my shoulders.

I hang a lot of stands due to the convinence of just walking in and hunting but when I am on the search or on public land climber everytime there is no were in this state that I cant find a tree to climb with minimal effort my climber is lighter than most hang on stands and way faster and much more quiet than hanging a stand that you want to hunt right away. try one you will be a changed man

For walking into a public area it is hard to beat a climber. Carrying my climbing sticks through brush just turns me into a wreck. Dripping sweat and catching on every little stick gremlin there is. Of course straight limbless trees are not always around. So, I use both. Sure can appreciate the previously hung stand with the climbing sticks strapped into place. I like the peace of mind with the climber. It is always with me. I'm up and then I'm out. No stand to worry about as far as getting stolen or messed with.

This is one of the biggest reasons I got tired of hunting public land. It is a lot of work.

Since this is the option you have I can offer some insight as that's where I started. Your setup is very similar to how I walked in the only difference being I used screw in steps. I put padded straps on my hang on stand, put the back pack on my chest, and carried my bow. I think that you should try carrying the strap on steps in your free hand and take your time walking in. Since you recently started hunting, it can be very expensive to have all the good stuff right away, so buy what you can to make lifer easier and as time progresses. End of the season sales and classified ads are great places to get stuff at greatly discounted prices.

Thanks, eveyone. I appretiate all the responses. I'll probably try the stap-on steps as a few of you mentioned, or tryng to carry my sticks over my shoulder instead of on my back. I just hate making too much noise getting in and out. But, I have all next week off to try a few different options. I'm so pumped, I'm sure work productivity will be on the decline over the next few days.

I had a rain check to a local big-box store for a climber from back in Feb. After going back in 5 times or more and them not having it yet one of the newer guys said they marked a bunch down to $5 and a few of the workers bought them all. Customer Service at it's finest... mad

And, this is definately an expensive sport to get into. I have no idea how anyone ever shot a deer 30 years ago without climbers, expandable broadheads, carbon arrows and $1200 bows... wink

This is my first year using a self climber. It didn't take long to realize that I don't want to carry a climber all over the woods. Mine is an "inexpensive" ($100 preseason special) steel one that weighs in at 27 lbs. Tradeoff of cost for weight. So I located my tree, stash the stand under some brush nearby and throw it up each time I go out. I take the seat with me so that is always dry. Next year I might get a lighter stand so I am a little more portable.

Most of them are junk but if you get a good one they can be a huge asset. I had a summit which was a great stand but a little bulky, upgraded to a lone wolf hand climber this year and I only used it once and fell in love with it. Nice and light weight (17lbs I think) and it is as compact as any hang on stand on the market, not to mention super quiet and rock solid in the tree. I might give up a little comfort to the summit and lone wolf sit and climb models but its lighter and much smaller. The downside is of course $$$ but if you look at it as a 20 year investment its worth every penny. I almost never have a problem finding a tree but there have been a few times I have to hunt from the ground but in those are usually swampy areas where the trees or lack or trees don't work well for stand hunting, but I bring my stand along just in case.

The downside is of course $$$ but if you look at it as a 20 year investment its worth every penny.

I agree. I spend far more in gas and wear-and-tear on my truck driving around chasing the outdoors than what my climber cost. Easy to carry, easy to setup, and comfortable are far more important than price with an item you will spend so much time using over the years.

At least that's how I justify it smile

When I first bought a trail camera I hemmed and hawed over the price. Now I have spent far more money putting batteries in it than what the camera cost. I've also spend more in arrows, broadheads and targets than I did on my bow. But yet I struggled over the bow purchase for a long time before I did it.

Sometimes its funny how my pocket book logic works. I have no problem putting $60 in gas in the truck and driving up North but I debate an $80 price difference in a tree stand for weeks.

Summit viper climber on my back, backpack on my front (that sounds goofy) bow in my hand. Not the easiest, but once i'm in the tree that climber is very comfy.

I attach my lone wolf climbing sticks to my hang on. total weight is 16.5lbs and the sticks are only 32 inches long so they dont get in the way when walking through brush and such. I like it alot and it is more versital when picking tree's compared to a climber. The public land that i hunt is hard if not almost impossible with a climber my buddy stopped bring his mid season last year cause he couldnt find a decent tree and ended up bringing his dad's old hang on just to get in a decent spot. Once you get the hang of it it only takes 5-7 minutes to be totally set up in the tree which isnt much slower than a climber. To each his own though.

This is the only way to go, and for under $40. Molle gear, shoulder straps and kindey belt. The picture is of my climber. I also have the same setup on my Millenium hang-on. Cheap, and light-years ahead of the straps stands come with!!!

P1100807.jpg

i just bought 2 of them for $54,

The online auction store is great and has a bunch,

mine are desert camo, but will work well,

one for my climber and one for my hang on.

and they have the kidney belts.

nothing better than military grade.

Im with slopmaster, lone wolf made packing in and setting up easy- The only downfall is the cost, but worth every penny imo. i also use an oversized fanny pack to carry everything, takes the extra weight off your back, and if I take extra clothes, or get dressed in the field I just bungie em to the stand- Pretty slick

I hunt out of a Tree Saddle and wear mine in. I have a bag on the right side of my saddle that carries my gear, my Lone Wolf sticks strapped around my back, my Lone Wolf Assassin platform in my left hand, and my bow in my right.

Quick and easy!

Hi B-man715, I was wondering if you could tell me where to get them under $40

Thanks Perchlips

Just like Jumpacablez said, online auctions. I bought both on the bay that starts with an e, one set last year for $23 to my door in acu (shown), and one set this year for around $30 shipped in dcu (desert camo.)

This stuff is awesome! No worries about the stitching pulling or tearing up the material.

lone wolf alpha with the sticks or the lone wolf hand climber- both are quick and easy, i always have a small hand saw with to trim branches for the climber. It goes up most any tree if you can do a little trimming, and when i know i don't have a tree i take the sticks and stand. They go up anyting.

I bought both setups over the last couple years, worth every penny. Besides when you got cheap you end up eating that plus getting the good stuff, i am young yet but have learned that much, so i just save up for what works.