• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bear Attack ....

Muthagoose

that cant be true bears are cute and cuddly and would never hurt a soul, thats why we put pink ribbons on them and give them facebook pages.

My family and I watched a large brown bear while visiting Mt.Rainier last fall. I swore it was a Brown bear, or a young Grizzly, but the park ranger said they only had black bear in the region.

This bear had a large hump above his shoulder blades, was all cinnamon colored with long hair, and had a real blocky head. He, or she, didn't look, or behave like any black bear I've ever seen. And, unlike almost all black bears I've met, this guy wasn't the least bit afraid of us.

We didn't stick around for a definative identification.

One misconception that I read in Outdoor Life magazine a number of years ago is that black bears are often or usually considered to be less dangerous than a grizzly. Maybe a grizzly is more prone to attacking but in terms of surviving an attack, the black bear is more dangerous.

Here's how the article explained it.

When a grizzly attacks it is usually is doing so for territorial reasons. That is why it is expected that playing dead can be about your best defense. There is no man alive that could be capable of fighting off a grizzly so we really are totally defenseless.

When a black bear attacks it is usually doing so for food. The article said that if ever faced with this situation you best be fighting for your life because that is precisely what you are probably doing. Playing dead will end in death. Fortunately, black bears are not known for preying on humans very often.

I have heard that if you are attacked by a black bear the best thing to do is to punch them straight in the nose. The explination was that there are TONS of nerve endings there and will cause the most pain for the animal. Makes sense that the nose has the most nerve endings, however I think it would just tick the animal off more. Maybe you would establish dominance if the bear was smaller...

would the smell of urine and [PoorWordUsage] do anything to make him stop attacking? that is about the only defence I can think of.

would the smell of urine and [PoorWordUsage] do anything to make him stop attacking? that is about the only defence I can think of.

Now that's funny laugh

I have heard that if you are attacked by a black bear the best thing to do is to punch them straight in the nose. The explination was that there are TONS of nerve endings there and will cause the most pain for the animal. Makes sense that the nose has the most nerve endings, however I think it would just tick the animal off more. Maybe you would establish dominance if the bear was smaller...

Maybe their eyes will get all watery like human and wont be able to see.

Same is said if you get attacked by a shark, hit them in the nose (if they really have a nose that is)

be that a grizzle, black bear, courgar or anything else capable of killing...my A55 is running and running fast! No way could I lay there and play dead as a huge grizzle is looking over me...though I hope that flinging [PoorWordUsage] thing works!

Quote:
my A55 is running and running fast!

No advantage here. They can outrun us in a heartbeat. Black bears and grizzlies can reach speeds exceeding 30mph. Mountain lion, 35+. Most of us would be lucky to reach a little over 15.

Edit: Just occurred to me. Actually, all you have to do is outrun one other person in your party. grin

Isn't it fortunate that this was released a few days back yet only the day after the most recent black bear attack news is finally on a OPEN forum, the Weather channel we see it come around again..

http://www.twincities.com/outdoors/ci_16137598?nclick_check=1

Im starting to think some of that tail wagging damage control works.

be that a grizzle, black bear, courgar or anything else capable of killing...my A55 is running and running fast! No way could I lay there and play dead as a huge grizzle is looking over me...though I hope that flinging [PoorWordUsage] thing works!

I am with you. You always fight off a Black Bear. Never play dead! My problem is that my feet don't listen to my brain. 3 Times I was chased by bears in my teens and 3 times I ran for everything I was worth. Tore the bottoms off of a pair of boots running from a bear down the middle of Highway 169 at 03:00 one morning South of Mille Lacs Lake. Now I can't run so let the battle begin!

Still waiting Bogs. Come on its been a while since Ive heard a good one. I can just imagine this in the Outdoor Life.

There was this girl named Goldilocks... Naw. Back in the 70's my wife and I decided to take grandma camping on the North Shore. We had a pick-up with a nice camper. At our campsite I pulled the picnic table up next to the back of the camper. We are sitting there eating dinner when I see this black streak through an opening in some thick brush next to our site. One of those things where you stop chewing and your eyes bug a little bit but you blow it off. Next time I look there is a bear coming at us a little too fast. I shout, my wife and grandma clear the picnic table like a couple of olympic sprinters, they jump in the camper and slam the door shut. I am still heading for the camper as they slam the door before I get in. The door flings open with grandma shouting "Get the cookies!". My wife lunges out, grabs the cookies and again slams the door. By the time I wrestled the door open the bear was gone.