• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Life After Vikings

Shack

Just caught this after the game on ESPN. I am sure this will be featured at the next Vikings legislative stadium meeting. I saw it and had to do something, no matter who voted and where it was taken:

With MN fans the way they are (cheap and I am one), we might have hit a new low point on the national football level. Realiscally never before seen. Please vote to keep this Vikes here. laugh This fall of course. I forget his name of who we should vote for, but will be finding it out in. We need support. You fools who think it will just fall into place, we go 0 & 3 and worse, do you really think a new state funded stadium will be front and center after the season? We are going to loose the "on board when winning" crowd voters right away and the rational people who do not care for football but grew up with the Vikings right after.

Not joking at all. smile

I am not going to be a grasshopper who waits till the last minute, but instead the turtle who goes down with the ship. We go 0 & 3 then have a horrible season, we could, first time a perfect storm is brewing, honestly loose the purple. frown . I just feel it and officially want to start something here at HSO. For those who say "it could never happen", what would you have said 5-8 years ago about Favre throwing passes in a purple jersey. wink It could happen and with the Econ the way is it, "it" could happen if support by the voters is not shown soon to work out a deal. Nothing, nothing was even spoken this last summer except Ziggy qoute about doing all/everything he could to work a deal. Ziggy ain't rich. He financed everything he had (to make a buck, who would not) and has only paid down $60 mill of the $400 he barrowed (minus anything down) to buy Red's junk team up.

Edit: Like Zep pointed out, this next game could determine the future. Not only for Favre, but the Vikings.

Go Vikes 2012!!!! smile

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shack

• zepman

• CJH

• Scott K

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't think their record will have anything to do with the vote. If the economy stays in the tank, it's going to be a tough one to pass without money $$$$ from the team/NFL. Let's face it, the NFL has the money, the State doesn't at this time.

Over 60% of the people don't want a publicly funded stadium for the Vikes so you're just spinning your wheels.

Next year there won't be a season due to the spoiled players and spoiled owners arguing over who should get more money and this will only drive up that 60% number as people are tired of the rich getting richer on our dime.

Ziggy ain't rich.

ROFLMAO!!

Maybe we do need some fresh air and a new name? Limits correct. Throw in next years black-outs and union issues, yes, this should have no issue getting done. whistle

T-wolves can go IMO. Never really cared or have connected with that organization.

Yes the Zigster and Zigster's brother have money, but they ain't Jerry Jones rich. wink They kind of remind me of that Sandford and Son episode where Fred trys to make his house look like a palace/mansion too fool some people. The name change to a name that includes "Field". Turning that run down building across the street from the Dome top floor into an executive Vikings club with memberships starting at $3000.00 per season.

Maybe loosing the Vikings stigma and curse would be best? After a couple to 5 years, someone from overseas will swing in with the money and grant MN another chance at the NFL.

Maybe Glen Taylor will buy the vikes from Ziggy, the day Red bought the team i thought he was gonna move it, then he sold the team and made BANK, now i really do think Ziggy will move the team if they dont get their new stadium sad but i think true, him and his bro dont give a rip about MN and the fans its money money money to them and LA wants a team bad

La doesnt have a good history of supporting a team long term. The NFL would be crazy to pull a team from the MN market, to put it in the LA market, where it has been proven many times, not to work out. A stadium will be built in due time, and the beloved Vikings will stay in MN.

If a team was to be moved to LA, it would more then likely be the Chargers, as they are lucky to fill the stadium half full, even when they go deep into the playoffs.

i sure hope your right im a pack fan but never want to see the vikes gone, its like when that dbag of a commish Bud Selig tried to pretty much get rid of the twins never want to see MN lose a pro sports team the stars were enough :D, except the lynx if you even consider them a pro sports team.

Jacksonville would have to be the top runner for a move to LA. I believe all but one of their home games were blacked out last season because they could not sell tickets.

Tom Horner is the "ONLY" candidate for Governor who will even talk about this issue and the others are clamming up.

Blow it off if you will. Instead of just saying "they will stay" or "it will get built", inform us more on how this will be done. I am not saying it will happen for sure, but it has come to point that a true Vikings fan can not avoid or blow off anymore.

I remember my uncles, grandfather and friends saying in 91-92 "the Stars Will Never Leave! This state is the home of hockey!" "Dallas Wants What? Yeah Right, No Way".....

Well, smirk Guess what? They were wrong, much like most of MN could be again as they were in 1993:

Quote:
As is well explained in a 1993 Sports Illustrated article, owner Norman Green was much reviled in Minnesota following the decision (due to poor attendance during a string of losing seasons, the failure to reach stadium deals in Minneapolis or Saint Paul, and a sexual harassment lawsuit against Green that resulted in his wife threatening to leave him unless he moved the team) to move the franchise. The article included a quote from North Stars booster club president Julie Hammond: "When [Norm Green] came here, he said, 'Only an [PoorWordUsage] could lose money on hockey in Minnesota.' Well, I guess he proved that point."

On the other hand, the Dallas franchise has taken some steps to mend the emotional wounds left in Minnesota. When the Dallas Stars won the 1999 Stanley Cup, their official video "Nothing Else Matters" not only included their past seasons' disappointments, but also paid tribute to the North Stars' 1991 run to the final, of which star Mike Modano and general manager Bob Gainey had been part. The last former North Star, Modano, left the franchise after the 2009-10 season; Modano, currently playing for the Detroit Red Wings, is the last former North Star still active in the NHL. Three other former North Stars are currently playing in other leagues: Mike Craig and Todd Elik in Austria, and Reid Simpson in the Atlanta Thrashers organization.

Does anything sound familiar???? Again, not saying it will happen for sure, but we are the closest ever to a point of all the arrows point to positives in a Vikings move and not very many arrows point to the Con's... wink Don't P&M if it does happen, when you did nothing to support it. Although in true MN fashion you will. grin Jump bandwagons as usual and I claim to have been right all along.

You guys, who call your selves true Vikings fans, and blow this off are IMO the real reason of 'why' if we did loose the Vikings. Minnesota has a history of just blowing things off like this and history can repeat itself in Minnesota. I just wish history could repeat itself this year from last season. frown Maybe it can and everyone will be warm and fuzzy towards the Vikings. We have such a great fan base here in MN. smirk

It ain't yet. wink

Ah well, who cares. Really who does? When it comes down to it, it will suck if we loose them but life will go on.

I was doing reply to the other post but figure I am just wasting my time here so I will just post it with what I had put together, which is more than anyone has brought forward to disprove anything other than the above. smile

Jacksonville would have to be the top runner for a move to LA. I believe all but one of their home games were blacked out last season because they could not sell tickets.

At least they have an owner, city and state trying something? What do we have now? An article in Forbe's saying our owner has given up working with the state and city.

Here is what Jacksonville's league, its owners, the northern part of FL, and the local Econ are doing this year:

Quote:

Jaguars pulling out all stops to sell tickets

The level of desperation has reached the point where the Jaguars and the business community are begging people — almost a step short of bribing — to purchase season tickets.

Actually, they’re offering gift-certificate incentives called Teal Deals, which represent more than $2,000 worth of discounts (mostly 33 percent off for a minimum purchase price at area restaurants), as well as price reductions on automotive needs, jewelry, golf, men’s clothing, pest control and even a pet hotel. That’s right, the Jaguars are playing the dog-and-cat card to entice fans to buy or renew a season ticket before May 31.

It’s all part of a massive campaign, which includes the popular 30-30 plan (30 payments over a 30-month period, with no interest or deposit), to reinvigorate a stagnant football market. Between Team Teal commissioner Tony Boselli stumping across North Florida like a medicine man hawking miracle elixir and Bono’s owner Joe Adeeb assembling businesses to offer incentives on season-ticket purchases, no NFL franchise has ever done more off the field to earn the fans’ business.

The objective is to refill those 20,000-25,000 empty seats that became a fixture at home games in 2009. The first step is to at least pack the general bowl (50,797) to lift the television blackouts, which became like a giant zit on the Jaguars’ forehead.

“People get that it isn’t going to be good for our city if we lose the Jaguars,” Adeeb said. “That’s what’s driven me to do this. I’ve got five grandkids, and I want them to grow up with an NFL team. This thing isn’t finished until all those [9,703] covers come off [in Jacksonville Municipal Stadium].”

A decade ago, nobody could have imagined the Jaguars or the business community having to resort to these tactics. In addition to flexible payment plans and three consecutive years without raising ticket prices, season-ticket buyers are now eligible for gift certificates that include free ice cream and a case of wine.

“It’s a neat deal,” Jaguars senior vice president Tim Connolly said. “Maybe it’ll work. It better work.”

No joke. The 2009 season was the first real sign of the Jaguars becoming an endangered football species. Though the Jaguars were around .500 all season, attendance ranged from 42,000-49,000 for the first six regular-season home games. It was a sobering disconnect for a city that embraced its NFL team throughout the 1990s.

The Jaguars aren’t going anywhere anytime soon, but owner Wayne Weaver has made it clear that the turnstiles must churn at a much greater number than last year or moving eventually becomes the only option. The Jaguars and a lot of civic-minded folks are pitching in to see that never happens.

But at some point, fans must decide whether they really want an NFL team. Or will they only show up in big numbers if it contends for Super Bowls and meets other certain conditions.

Connolly said more Jacksonville businesses will likely step up next year to offer a wider range of Teal Deals.

Given all the seats the Jaguars have to fill, they seem willing to try almost anything to attract season-ticket buyers. Who knows. Maybe Maurice Jones-Drew will come over and pressure-wash your driveway.

Go Vikes!!!

Ziggymiester doesnt have the power to move the team, it NEEDS to be APPROVED by the NFL. In which the Vikings are not in any danger to be moved by the NFL just because they are playing in a dome, that is 30 yrs old, that DOES sell all of its tickets each week, doesnt mean they will be even considered to be moved. If Ziggy doesnt like playing in the dome, he can sell the team, break the team up, and not have it any more, but he can not just move it to another city.

You can be a true Vikings fan and believe there are more pressing matters the state faces than a new stadium for the Vikings.

I don't believe now is the time. I also don't believe the Vikes will be moved, regardless if a new stadium gets built or not.

While we may be on the list of teams targeted for LA, we're not at the top of the list. No need to hit the panic button right now.

We should of made a Vikings stadium before we made one for the Twinkies.

I disagree! The Twins needed a stadium of there own, the Dome wasnt a base ball stadium, it is a football stadium though. If the Vikes think they need to play outside right now, give the players a utility knife and tell them to start cutting the roof off!

I disagree! The Twins needed a stadium of there own, the Dome wasnt a base ball stadium, it is a football stadium though. If the Vikes think they need to play outside right now, give the players a utility knife and tell them to start cutting the roof off!

I say don't let the door hit you in the arse. This hasn't been real football since they moved into the roller dome. I'm totally with Ditka on that.

I turned away after the 4th SB loss and then for good in '98. It's been great having Sundays back

Ziggymiester doesnt have the power to move the team, it NEEDS to be APPROVED by the NFL. In which the Vikings are not in any danger to be moved by the NFL just because they are playing in a dome, that is 30 yrs old, that DOES sell all of its tickets each week, doesnt mean they will be even considered to be moved. If Ziggy doesnt like playing in the dome, he can sell the team, break the team up, and not have it any more, but he can not just move it to another city.

He may not have the power to move them to Soix City Iowa, but he has the power to move them in a market that is already assigned. Especially one the NFL openly wants filled. Since 82' (The Oakland Raiders Case), owners and league franchises have almost total control on when they can up-root and even protection from being sued by fans who lost interest, but now have found them selves with out an NFL team:

Quote:
2. Sports league commissioners: Protect leagues against antitrust claims.

Commissioner Paul Tagliabue (National Football League) contends that league rules governing franchise relocation are sufficient to protect against unjustified team moves . . . if only league decisions were protected against antitrust actions filed against them by team owners.

In 1982, a federal circuit court allowed the football Raiders to abandon Oakland, over the NFL's objection, and awarded the Raiders $50 million in damages to be paid by the league. Prior to the Raiders litigation, according to Tagliabue, "a sports league franchise was viewed as a license to serve the league's fans and to play league games in a prescribed geographical area. A franchise was the means by which the league created a stable, continuous relationship with a community, subject to change only by league decision."

Since 1982, the leagues have been afraid to stop or slow down franchise relocations. Commissioner Gary Bettman (National Hockey League) notes that the leagues themselves "are not seeking any affirmative action by Congress." But if Congress chooses to intervene, he and Tagliabue concur that the only action necessary would be an expansion of the leagues' antitrust exemption.

Pretty much just has to get approval from the investors & interests that have a slice of the franchise pie. They even have protection from fans, organizations & businesses who waited till the last minute and did nothing, but right before or during the move now are (for various reason)shocked and wanting restitution or threating legal action to prevent a move that's going to happen.

Actually in our case Ziggy is not the most of our worries. The NFL it's self is actually pushing Ziggy to do something.

Originally Posted By: Save the Vikes
Why are we in jeopardy of losing the Minnesota Vikings?

At the end of the 2011-2012 season, the Minnesota Vikings’ contract with the Metrodome and its governing body, the Metropolitan Sports Facilities Commission (MSFC) expires. The Metrodome is over 28 years old and cannot adequately support the team financially as it is one of the oldest stadiums in the National Football League (NFL). Additionally, the bathrooms and concessions were not designed to support the 63,000 plus fans that attend the 10 home games annually. Because of this, lines are extremely long, concession stands can’t take money as fast as people want to spend it and the team cannot raise ticket prices. This has led to the Vikings being ranked 31 out of 32 teams in terms of profitability in the NFL.

And it’s only getting worse. Adding fuel to the fire, the NFL is doing away with its revenue sharing model that helped the lower third of the league financially compete with the rest of the league. Early figures indicate this is a 10 million dollar loss annually to the team.

Because of the serious economic disadvantage the Metrodome puts the Vikings in, they will not be renewing their contract with the Metrodome unless we have a new stadium solution in place. Without a new stadium solution, this puts the team at risk for being contracted by the NFL or sold to another owner and/or market.

In the early 90’s Minnesota didn’t want to invest 20 million in renovating the Met Center. The result was Norm Green moving the team and leaving the state of hockey without its team for 7+ years. Only after spending hundreds of millions of dollars were we able to get an arena and an NHL franchise back in Minnesota.

We have seen the NFL do this before. Houston, Cleveland and Baltimore are all cities where the NFL has taken a team to only return later to award one back. If we let the Vikings go now, the cost of a new stadium and a new team would be well over 2 billion dollars.

What does a new stadium mean to me and the state of Minnesota?

Opposition says we are in a deficit and can’t afford it. SavetheVikes.org says we need to create jobs and building a new stadium creates 18,000 contract and employment opportunities. The new stadium has a 1.3 billion dollar economic output which helps kick start the local economy.

Opposition says we can’t spend the money. SavetheVikes. says we will lose more money when $20+ million in tax base is lost every year we don’t have a team. Not to mention the economic impact on the hospitality industry from teams staying in hotels, visitors coming to Minnesota for the games and people going out to bars and restaurants before, during and after games when that is lost.

Opposition says we already have a stadium. The fans say it is old, outdated, unsophisticated and incapable of generating revenue to support a long term successful NFL franchise.

Opposition says the owner Zygi Wilf can pay for it himself. SavetheVikes says the typical stadium model is the owner pays 30% and the rest is financed by the public. That puts what was once thought to be a billion dollar price tag down to $600 million, and studies have shown this can pay for itself and then some. The state of Minnesota has invested $50 million in professional sports over the years and generated $450 million in tax revenue from it. The return on investment (ROI) is there.

Opposition says a new stadium isn’t profitable. SavetheVikes.org says a new stadium would mean a Super Bowl in Minnesota which generates $200 million in revenue over the week it is in town. NCAA final four, other sporting events, religious and social events would utilize the stadium for another 200 days annually generating more revenue and business for the state of Minnesota.

What is SavetheVikes doing to help keep the Vikings in Minnesota?

When we started this endeavor in October 2009, very little was being discussed in the media and things were relatively quiet coming out of Winter Park. Some people within the MSFC were essentially throwing in the white towel and saying nothing could be done in the 2010 legislative session. For the most part the public was unaware of the risk facing us and the increasing possibility of losing the team.

Because of this, we went to task on accomplishing the following:

Educate the general public on the Vikings stadium issue and the real imminent threat of losing the Vikings through fan rallies, social media and the press

Connect the public with their legislative leaders and show that by engaging state leaders we can make this an issue that can be worked towards resolving in the 2010 session.

We had no idea in the first 4 months before the legislative session opened that we would accomplish so much! Here is what we have done so far:

Had over 100,000 fan interactions

Had over 100 media stories (radio, newspaper, internet and T.V.) covering our efforts and the stadium issue

Collected over 26,000 followers on Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin and Myspace

Conducted 3 fan rallies which produced over 30,000 emails, letters and calls made to elected officials

Made efforts to re-establish the relationship between the MSFC and the Vikings

Had key meetings with elected officials, community and business leaders to influence and rally support for the effort

Gained commitment from elected officials that will be working towards a Vikings stadium solution in the 2010 session

How can I get in the game and help?!

While we are getting closer to the goal, we still have a long way to go. We need your continued support in gaining traction among other state Representatives, Senators and the Governor in the 2010 legislative session starting February 4th, 2010.

Over the next few months, we will show you who the supporters are, and who are not. From there, only you the fan, citizen and constituent can make a difference by calling, emailing and meeting with your elected officials asking for their support in finding creative ways to build a stadium. We are asking for your partnership and support.

The Twins have a stadium today because their fans stood up and made a lot of noise. We need to stand up and let our Governor, Senate and House representatives know that keeping the Vikings in Minnesota is important to us as fans, the state as a cultural icon and economic contributor. We need to demand that they, along with the Metropolitan Sports Facilities Commission, work with the team to KEEP THE VIKINGS IN MINNESOTA!

You can not pay back on what you borrowed to buy a team, because of the facilities being horrible, the NFL will step in and take things over to get them right. IMO LA (read the info on the net) is a market Roger Goodell wants filled and I honestly believe MN Market is less desirable right now than LA in the eyes of Goodell. May hit home, but just maybe what we think we are here in MN (a huge influence on anything), we might just not be.

Only 19 home games left until we could lose our beloved Vikings forever! frown

OK, I have a question. A nonsensical show that had a poll which said people like Wisconsin cheese more than Brett Favre is driving your stadium campaign?

Really?

The truth of the matter is that outside of MN nobody likes Favre because of his waffling for the last 2,3,4 years and cheese will win out every time.

Connecting the dots between cheese, Favre, and losing a team is, um, interesting. I think it's time that you're cut-off from the purple Kool-Aid for a while. crazy

Quote:
The truth of the matter is that outside of MN nobody likes Favre because of his waffling for the last 2,3,4 years.

There is also those of us in Mn that arent to crazy about him either!

I truely believe that the money will be found and funded for a new stadium. It took some years for the Twins and the Vikes will get the stadium. The economy is very tough right now but it will not be forever. The NFL would have to agree to the Vikes leaving Minnesota. Not exactly a total choice for Zigy alone.

Shack, yes the North Stars left but, we do still have a hockey team.

Me to Tom, but it is cutting things very close and figure we have to keep this in mind, because it could happen. Just like it could happen that the Vikes win the Super Bowl. smile I am very sure they will stay, but unlike previous years leaving is the only option if something is no put in motion. It's a very clear and present danger I just do not take lightly. Plus the longer it waits, the more the costs go up. It's, I believe, double almost than it would have cost in the early 2000's.

LIMIT it is the point of the clip. I did not catch where it was shot, but the poll was not conducted just using Packers fans. Plus the image was not of Favre in his glory as a Packer, was it? Maybe nothing, but a far cry from just one year ago on what was being featured after a week 2 Monday night game about Favre. The Vikings did not even play yesterday and last nights game was one of the best I had seen in awhile. Then they chose to show this on ESPN right after the post game recap? I know it was late and not many saw it, but I used it just to show what they Vikes have become in national media coverage. Yes, I could see this and future things effecting stadium talks and even keeping the Vikes here. smile

The teams record will have no bearing on whether or not the franchise stays in Minnesota...in fact it's probably the last factor that anyone who will decide on this matter will even care about.

The teams record will have no bearing on whether or not the franchise stays in Minnesota...in fact it's probably the last factor that anyone who will decide on this matter will even care about.

Please Explain how? smile

A random computer generated "YES" or "NO" with no emotion or knowledge of current events?

So if we had a couple of SB wins since 1998, the Vikes would still be playing in a the Dome in 2010? Nope, I don't buy it. wink Winning gets you a stadium, the hope of winning gets you a stadium, not winning and looking like a joke on a national level "does" not get you a stadium. wink It comes down to public input and opinion. God help the Vikes if a meeting was held the Monday after the we loose the Wild Card Chance, after a horrible season. frown NO, I guess that would not effect public opinion at all? whistlecrazysmirk

Extreme example, but I hope you get my point. smile

everyone says the twins got there stadium the vikes will get theres, the Pohlad family was from MN they never wanted to move the team and they actually cared about the fans, Ziggy doesnt give a rip about MN and the fans he cares about his pocketbook and a new place to play thats all.