• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Sartell access question

ssaamm

A friend from the cities wants to meet here and chase smallies. Sounds like a good time. I have a 17 ft Crestliner. I realize like anywhere you need to pay attention to water depth, but is this stretch of river deep enough for my boat? I looked at the map and it looks like there is a bend in the river a couple or a few miles to the north. Can we get that far safely? If we don't get too much rain hopefully the current dies down a bit. Any info or tips would be appreciated. Thanks. Sam

Thanks for the reply. Have you heard any good reports? Were are going next Fri if the weather cooperates. Then again, I'm not smart enough to come in out of the rain. We'll probably go either way. Thanks

Plenty deep for your boat all the way up to (and a bit past) Pine Point, which is the big bend you're talking about. Most water between the dam and the Mississippi County Park is pretty safe. There are some shallower areas, but if you pay attention, you'll be fine. And most of the shallow areas are sand, so you shouldn't wreak too much havoc if you get a bit too shallow.

I've heard of people using sucker or chubs a couple of feet behind a some split shots and doing well. We are after smallies. I'd rather use artificials if possible. Any suggestions--tubes, senkos, twister tails, x-raps, small swim baits? Thanks for info. Sam

Live bait rigs with large minnows are good but you can still get plenty of action with plastics. I have been throwing 3-4in twister tails and the same size paddle tails for the last week or so and have had my share of smallies and walleyes to show for it. Husky jerk-baits and x raps will also get you some quality fish but there is a ton of grass and leaves floating around to deal with so I havent thrown much for crankbaits as of late. Water temp as of yesterday 61-63.

Could not keep the smallies off the lines last weekend. We were rigging with minnows. Not too much for size but the action is always fun! less luck with the walleyes this time however. And yes there has been a ton of grass floating around for the last couple weeks!